1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

American Football Thread (NFL, NCAA)

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by T.D., Aug 31, 2007.

Discuss American Football Thread (NFL, NCAA) in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Towardinho

the wheels have well and truly come of for the Vikings. Ponder is looking terrible!! Really feel for Peterson and Harvin. We need to give them more help....

63 yds passing is embarrasing for a pro QB....maybe time to give Joe Webb a few reps if things don;t improve next week vs Detroit

2. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

Have to say they were on the verge of winning the game if it had not been for the two picks in the end.

I'm very disappointed in our rushing game. it's non-existent and DMAC is hurt too now.

Although things look a bit better than 2-3 years ago, we are far away from being a regular playoff team, never mind a super bowl contender.

I'm happy with our new GM. if rumours are true then a real rebuild will start soon, including a new qb next season.

3. Bunk Moreland

Aaron Rodgers, from being a guy that was constantly overlooked even back in high school to being the best QB in the NFL and more importantly to Packers fans proving losing Favre wasn't the end of the world takes some cojones. There's not a lot to dislike about A-Rod.

As for the rest well I can't say that I dislike any of them.

4. LucasBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kris Commons
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Rodgers hands down mate :50::50::celt_2: for my favourite

Least Mannings, it's the Colts and Giants thing.

5. BuckeyeBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Gary Hopper
    Fav Celtic Song:
    cheer up Walter Smith
    eport: Sean Payton’s contract was voided by the NFL; could Dallas be his next stop?

The Dallas Cowboys have been one of the NFL's bigger disappointments this season. The 3-4 team could not beat the New York Giants last Sunday night, despite scoring 24 unanswered points in one phase of an eventual 29-24 defeat. Owner/general manager/El Jefe Jerry Jones expressed concern before the season that the window was closing for his team, but one wonders when that window was last open -- the Cowboys haven't made the playoffs since 2009, and they've won just one postseason game since the 1996 season.
    Current coach Jason Garrett is under fire based on all sorts of play-calling and clock management issues, and if Jones' hand-picked coach doesn't turn it around, Jones may have access to a familiar face due to a weird kink in contract language.
    According to a report from ESPN's Adam Schefter, the contract extension given to currently suspended New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton was voided by the NFL, which would have Payton a free agent after the 2012 season. Payton, who is out for the entire year due to his alleged role in the team's bounty scandal, was given a contract extension in September, 2011, that would have had him as the team's main man through the 2015 campaign.
    However, a clause in the contract that would have voided it if Saints general manager Mickey Loomis was fired, suspended, or left the organization under any circumstances was deemed to be unsatisfactory by the league, because it would have set a complicated precedent. According to Schefter, when Payton talked with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell about the status of that extension in March, he was told that the extension was not valid. The NFL has not commented on whether Payton's current suspension would "freeze" the timeline and extend the contract through the 2013 season, but Payton's side would be sure to argue that it does not.
    [More NFL: Watch: LaDainian Tomlinson says Mark Sanchez is not a big-time QB]
    There's been no official progress on a revised extension for Payton, because he's not allowed to have contact with any member of the team during his suspension, though he was allowed to attend the Oct. 7 game in which quarterback Drew Brees broke Johnny Unitas' record for touchdown passes in consecutive games. Payton is currently doing some work for the New Orleans Hornets, the NBA team also owned by Saints owner Tom Benson, so there could be some ancillary discussion there.
    "I absolutely plan on being a New Orleans Saint," Payton told FOX Sports' Jay Glazer on Sunday morning.
    However, if Payton is indeed a free agent after the 2012 season, he would unquestionably be the hottest prospect on the market. There are serious questions around the league about the process by which the bounty investigation process was handled, and that scandal hasn't made anyone forget what Payton did for a Saints team that had seen little success before he became the team's head coach in 2006. Under Payton, the Saints have won a Super Bowl, and have consistently fielded one of the league's most explosive and creative offenses.

Payton has a great history of quarterback development, as Tony Romo would tell you. (Getty Images)
    One person who surely knows this is Jones. From 2003 through 2005, Payton worked for the Cowboys as the team's assistant head coach, offensive mastermind, and quarterback guru under then-head coach Bill Parcells. Payton was the one who pushed for quarterback Tony Romo, who went to Payton's alma mater, Eastern Illinois. Payton was living in the Dallas area with his family, though he moved out of his Westlake, Tx. home when he and his wife reportedly filed for divorce in June.
    Asked about the Cowboys job at an Dallas-based speaking engagement in October, Payton quipped that he'd rather answer a bounty question. Once the crowd was done laughing, the coach said that "Right now, my focus is on staying with New Orleans and really getting back on the sidelines."
    It's all speculation at this point, but it's not too hard to connect the dots. Jones always goes after a more well-known and dominant coach when his team is on the skids -- that was the thought process behind the Parcells hire in the first place -- and Payton may well be looking for a change in scenery after a year of such personal and professional upheaval.
    On the other hand, Payton and Benson have a very good relationship, and the bond between Payton and Drew Brees is especially strong and effective.
    [Also: Tony Gonzalez says he's retiring despite huge year]
    "It's been an adjustment, certainly," Brees told me in mid-October when I asked him about life without Payton on the field. "Throughout the games, there's a lot of dialogue. I hear his voice in my helmet, and we talk about situations during time-outs, or before critical third downs, or red zone plays. There's a lot of that going on. During the week, too -- there's so much of that during the week, I want to know what's going to come out of his mouth before it does. It's ESP. I want to know what's going to be called in certain situations. I feel that I function so much better that way. Now, Pete Carmichael and I do all the same things that Sean and I used to do. Maybe even more so, because the two of us, we've only had part of last season and this season together in that capacity, where he's the play-caller and I'm the quarterback."
    Payton and Romo remain close, though -- they played a beach football game together during the 2011 lockout in which Payton benched Romo, replaced the quarterback with himself, and threw Romo a touchdown pass.
    One thing's for sure -- if Sean Payton is indeed a free agent this upcoming offseason, he could be more valuable than any player on that same market.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...t-voided-nfl-could-dallas-150626809--nfl.html

6. Soul Rebel

Fav Celtic Player:
    Commons/Sammy/Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony & Toy Town
    Desean Jackson follows me on twitter. Just saying.

If you wanna hang with the stars, hit me up @Wanyamas_bicep.

7. The Golden God I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds Gold Member

Calm it :icon_mrgreen:

Could say the same about Brady though. Wasnt always a starter in college and was pick 199 in the draft, behind 6 QB's. And became one of the best QB's in the NFL/history.

8. PeeKay Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I don't think he would turn his back on the Saints and the offence we have. Or atleast I am hoping to * he wouldn't :50:

Massive game for us tonight, I'm still hanging on to the hope that we can make the playoffs if we go on a crazy run of winning games, although it seems unlikely as we have a very tough schedule. Looking forward to the game tonight though, just wish it was on tv rather than the crappy red button!!! :47:

9. PackerBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Thomson / Jimmy Johnstone / Henrik Larsson / James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    One Thursday Night
  10. The Golden God I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds Gold Member

Guy on facebook is waiting on the Saints by more than 3 for 1700 quid. Think he'll be a bit nervous tonight.

11. Towardinho

Sean Payton's contract is rumoured to be up at end of the season....Eagles or Cowboys the early favourites...

Great coach and with a point to prove next season....still can;t see him leaving NO.....

12. Markybhoy

I don't really understand why Sean Payton would want to leave New Orleans for Dallas or Philadelphia.

New Orleans - He's already a legend there and he has an elite QB, and offense, in place. All that needs to be done is to get some new faces in on defense.

Dallas - If he goes to Dallas he'll have to put up with Jerry Jones interfering. Why would you want to put yourself in that position?

Philadelphia - Talent wise the Eagles aren't bad but their fans are hard to please and Payton would probably have to find himself a new QB before making plans to return to the Superbowl. The path to glory is shorter in New Orleans.

13. BuckeyeBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Gary Hopper
    Fav Celtic Song:
    cheer up Walter Smith
  14. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

The passing game in NO is awesome, but they have no running game. Their def is one of the worst in the league.

Dallas - you can only lose when you work for america's team as long as JJ is in charge. at least he would get overpaid there.

Phily - Imo need less fixing than the saints.

15. Cathairbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joe Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Trying to be as unbiased as possible, I think Deebo is by far the most desirable of those teams. They have all the makings of a Superbowl team, they just need a little guidance. The other 2 are not superbowl standard.

16. PackerBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    One Thursday Night

Nah, it's easy to see that this in-depth analysis got it spot on.

17. The Golden God I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds Gold Member

All 3 have been pretty * recently (this season). But If I had the choice I'd go for NO... they have an elite QB and have won and actually made the playoffs last year.

18. Markybhoy

Any top 10 QB list that doesn't include Dan Marino's name doesn't get my endorsement.

The Saints don't really need much of a running game, their passing game is good enough to carry the load. The Saints really just need to run the ball now and again to keep the opposition's defense honest.

You're right about their defense. A couple of good draft picks, and a couple of good free agent signings, can soon turn things around though.

19. BuckeyeBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Gary Hopper
    Fav Celtic Song:
    cheer up Walter Smith
    It's because Dan doesn't understand LACES OUT!

20. PackerBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    One Thursday Night

The one MAJOR knock against Marino was that he didn't win a title. That's one reason why I don't think he's on the list.

Favre made the number 10 spot, and I think the fact that he has a ring (and a great number of records, as does Marino) is what put him there over Marino.

Looking at the list in that light, there really isn't anyone Marino deserves to bump off of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.