1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Ronny Deila Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Glasgow_Bhoy88, Jun 6, 2014.

Discuss The Ronny Deila Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt

I am not confident

2. Minimalist

The structure in place is simply detrimental.

3. Swervedancer Guest

While I'm not sure it would prompt his sacking I'm not sure how the board would react to a defeat on Wednesday.

Are most fans against him? I haven't heard any protests from the fans at the game yet and I think that is when we'll know.

There could possibly be some disapproval voiced if we lost on Wednesday. It would be terribly Ironic seeing as it was this fixture the Ronny Roar originated.

4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I wouldn't advocate protests, I don't think that paints us in the best light. I'd rather the powers-that-be would make an honest appraisal that he is not good enough and remove him from his post.

5. Swervedancer Guest

Can't quote you JoeDan67

I agree that there must surely be some flexibility in the managerial budget considering how much we lose in the CL but I also understand the board not wishing to borrow anything as we might not make the CL.

What will be interesting is what will happen if say we qualified for the CL two years in a row. If we're working within a budget and we suddenly find ourselves with £20m extra?

I understand why you don't want Ronny to handle to CLs this summer, I just don't agree with his. I think this team is the one he can safely say is his own.

Yesterday was a bad game. As I said before we've been playing well recently and we started that game so well. Up until Lustig and Efe blundered we were the much better team.

Wednesday is a much bigger test. They beat us last time when we played one of our lacklustre performances that just happen out of the blue sometimes. There was some of that when we went to 10 men. Well ok there was a lot of disappointing passion shown. Looked like we were over it too after the good recent run.

6. Antz1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emillio Izaguirre, Joe Ledley, Beram Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    'You'll never walk alone' 'Let the People Sing'
    I honestly do not know a single person who has any faith in the guy outwith this forum.

7. Swervedancer Guest

Sorry, I'm not advocating them. I don't think it's nice but I understand the fans are well within their rights to voice concern if they wish.

I personally wouldn't do it no matter how bad it got but if the board stick with Ronny and the majority of fans don't want him then there will be come kind of confrontation I'd imagine.

I hope fans are just giving him more time. Reading this thread sometimes I get the impression 80% of fans want him out. Others have also intimated this.

Didn't see your post Antz. Well see you have just suggested that but some folk think not so much.

8. Fatface

Because I think what damaged our EL progress was not bad performances, there were none in fact other than Molde away. What hurt us were individual blunders in some of those games. The signing of Simunovic and now Sviatchenko should strengthen the defence. I do not believe we are all that far away from being able to qualify for the CL.

But lets be honest, if we wanted to be confident of qualification next season we would need 3 or maybe 4 significantly superior midfielders and strikers compared to what we have now. That would mean spending serious money, something that is not within the managers gift, or his replacement should that happen.

9. Kyogo Furuhashi Gold Member Gold Member

It would be interesting if the poll was open again, see if more people have lost faith in Ronny.

10. Bratfurdbhoy1

Re open the poll with only 3 options please -Ronny Stay, Ronny Oot, Ronnie 'no sure'!!No ifs or bits let us see what we all think now.

11. Swervedancer Guest

The problem with the poll I think is people go absolutely nuts when we lose and quite rightly, I mean I was gutted. But I think folk are much quicker to vote after a bad result than they are a good one.

I don't know why it was closed though.

12. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, I'm on the same boat.

There was a quite a few howls of derision from around me at the game yesterday when their 3rd goal went in (mine included admittedly)

Ronny or his 2 partners in crime were nowhere to be seen on the touchline for a good 20 mins between the 2nd half starting and going 3-1 down.

That made me seething. A good manager would be out barking orders and tactical changes.

Remaining in the dugout would be understandable if they were then discussing a change in strategy/personnel that swung the flow of the game. Sadly the most they could muster up was bringing Forrest on with barely over 10 mins to go.

None of the management are good enough for our club. Kennedy was a great prospect but he barely played any first-team football. He's there on sentimentality alone. By his own account he is responsible for our defence and set-up at set pieces, which I can't ever remember being poorer.

13. Roskopicachu

Like anything changing the manager has an element of risk attached to it. Ronny selects the team, formation and the subs. 4-2-3-1 leaves us open to a quick ball down the line and a quick ball into the box. I have to say the pass for the sending off was an unbelievably good pass that's taken umpteen players out the game. The only person actually trying to make a challenge is Efe. Way i see it the striker took a heavy touch, saw Gordon coming out and knew he wasn't gonna get the ball. So he's taken an opportunity to cut across and look for the foul.

When you look at the goal attempt they had just before they got the penalty it comes from the midfield sitting too deep and failing to get a challenge in.

GMS, McGregor and Johansen all stand off and allow a single pass to go straight past three players and the only person making any effort to win the ball is Efe. Boyata's switched off.

Someone steps up and gets tight, gets a challenge in it's not a problem. Standing off and playing zonal is what led to that horrific through ball, that led to Efe being sent off and it's a red all day long. Can't blame the referee but you can blame the manager who signs wingers and not midfielders.

Way i looked at it a while ago, we needed right and left back looked at, as well as right and left midfield. Instead we've a bunch of guys too feart to put a tackle in.

You could actually stick the blame on Efe, but i don't think Bitton's positioning for a central midfielder helped at that moment. He's standing in a centre back position too deep, split second before the pass he steps out and watches the ball trickle past.

Great pass, really poor defending sitting in way too deep.

Boyata watched the ball trickle past and left it. He left it. So you then have to question why he's not standing in line with Efe, which would have given him a bit more time to react. Ambrose could have cleared it with his left foot, but i honestly think he expects Boyata to deal with it.

Then obviously Lustig's supposed to be marking the guy who wins the penalty. Doesn't track the run.

Johansen at the corner kick, he's ball watching. Looks one way, looks the other hopes someone else will clear it, the boy knocks it in without a challenge. Have to say it was a great ball in from the corner.

Who's supposed to be marking the goalscorer, Bitton and he does exactly the same as the other defenders he watches on hoping someone else will do the dirty stuff and go meet the ball. You have to wonder why everyone's standing on the front post.

The last goal Boyata plays them onside after some poor play in midfield. Tierney and Bitton didn't look too clever either.

Then obviously Griffiths misses 3 or 4 chances anybody could score.

So it's a collective responsibility. Blaming Efe all the time, i don't think addresses the real problem which is players only interested in some zonal marking, when they should be getting touch tight.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2016
  14. jimmy the gent

You are trying to make excuses though. Another crack at the champions league ? the guy couldn't even win once in 6 goes in the Europa league and has already lost us £40 million. Why give him the chance to throw another £20 million down the drain ? There are hundreds of managers out there better than Ronny. He is a pie in the sky stubborn dreamer who is tactically hopeless, and cant motivate or get the best out of players. His level is the Norwegian league and the sooner hes back there the better.

15. Swervedancer Guest

It's a really good point. While I acknowledge Ronny was at fault for the Molde games and Malmo away I think he's been a really unlucky manager. So many times there have been individual errors or poor refereeing decisions. Did Bitton score a legit goal against Molde early on over there?

16. Kyogo Furuhashi Gold Member Gold Member

I think some people were treble or bust with Ronny

17. JoeDan67

Too often he's shown himself to incapable of reacting to a bad situation. Perhaps when McGreggor went off , it wasn't obvious that Armstrong was doing nothing and Johansen doing very little.
    However it was clear when Brown came on, yet he took off Biton and the fans let him know they weren't happy. Armstrong should have been off at half time for Forrest.
    Cifti is poor but we needed more of a goal threat so he should have been on instead of Brown.

We've got a seriously imbalanced sqaud and we're picking up too many non match injuries. Ronny is a nice guy but he's out of his depth.

Finally if we do gamble by paying for a decent manager and don't make the CL and don't think it would bankrup us. It's a risk we have to take

18. JoeDan67

Better still have a new poll. Do you trust Ronny to get us into the CL group stages Yes or No. No fence sitting.

19. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Malmo you're thinking of, blew the whistle for a foul on the keeper when Biton headed in. A decision Bobby Tait would've been proud of.

20. Roy's Keane

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    From cqn. I agree with mostly all of it:

I thought the penalty had to be a dive. There’s no way Efe would clatter into the player like that, I was sure! The error wasn’t even schoolboy stuff. Ambrose and Mikael Lustig were caught square-on, the latter not goal-side of his man, and therefore unable to see the run. The incident is symptomatic of an error-prone season for the defence.

Referee Craig Thomson got that one right but missed Craig Gordon being held at County’s second goal. Unlike Efe’s split-second intervention, this was a clear and persistent infringement and should have been spotted. County can also consider themselves unfortunate to concede a penalty for an awkward hand ball, and Stefan Johansen should have received a red card for his late lunge at an opponent.

Notwithstanding the foul for County’s second, they then got two free headers within 8 yards of our goal at a corner kick. The man-to-man system is in no way better than our zonal system if your players cannot follow the flight of the ball.

I’ve said often enough before that teams can steamroller straight through the middle of us – when we play so expansively, we need real authority to control things in the middle of the park. The authority coefficient visibly increased when Scott Brown arrived but not sufficiently so.

Erik Sviatchenko looked the part when he came on. Always available for a pass, keen to take a touch, and regularly played 30-yard forward balls. It is no great stretch to suggest he could be our best defender.

What did we learn from yesterday? Primarily that we’re not good enough in many positions:

Kieran Tierney continues to shine as an 18-year-old left back. Sviatchenko and Simunovic may establish a solid central defensive partnership, but we have little more to boast about in defence.

When we are up against a disorganised Hamilton Accies, our nippy wee guys will do a lot of damage, but not every game suits nippy wee guys. The qualifiers won’t.

This is not the time to ask questions about the manager. I don’t know who it was in the media who first suggested he needed to win the treble to keep his job, but it’s absurd.

We’ve won the treble 3 times in the 70 seasons it’s been available. The league title is a vastly easier competition post Rangers liquidation, but very few times in those 67 seasons we didn’t win the treble did Rangers deny us both cups. This result is no worse than our previous two exits in this competition to Morton and St Mirren, or countless before them.

The first thing you do when you get rid of your manager is attempt to recruit a better talent. Can you imagine who would be interested in a job where you had to win the club’s fourth treble in your first two seasons or face the sack? It’s no way to run a club and would guarantee a downward spiral.

The manager’s strategic job right now is to improve the squad this month, build a defensive unit as sold as we had last season, and identify targets for the summer to prepare for the Champions League qualifiers. None of this would improve by lurching off plan right now.

- See more at: http://www.celticquicknews.co.uk/no...IRuC+(Celtic+Quick+News)#sthash.jj2joI0T.dpuf

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2016