1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Ronny Deila Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Glasgow_Bhoy88, Jun 6, 2014.

Discuss The Ronny Deila Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mannix

What are you talking about? Deila took over a side that had qualified for the CL two years running. He decided in his infinite wisdom to dismantle it and foist his "system" on it. We sold players after he failed to qualify.

2. Mannix

That some logic there:56:

In Lennons last season we had qualified but didn't have as good a campaign, that doesn't mean we wouldn't have qualified under him the following season and done better from the experience. Lennon left, Deila took over and he tore up the script. He's a clownshoe of a manager. The support he gets from some fans is unfathomable.

3. Dáibhí

Of course there isn't. All Champions League qualification provides is bigger grins on the faces of the board and the shareholders at the following AGM.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've read debates and discussions on this forum where we've qualified for the Champions League and yet the board still aren't releasing funds for quality players.

Remember Lennon's final season here? We beat Karagandy to go through and proceeded to sign Pukki and Bitton afterwards, having signed Balde, Derk and Virgil beforehand.

That was after offloading Wanyama, Hooper and Wilson for millions on top of the windfall from qualification (we'd also qualified and made the final 16 the year before!).

The season before that we beat Helsingborgs to qualify for the group stages and signed Efe! We also brought in big Fraser permanently as well as some loan signings like Miku and Lassad.

Qualifying for the Champions League means more money when the bottom line is unveiled and more money for the club and shareholders. It makes very little difference to what is spent improving the team.

4. murphy88

It's not logic, it's a fact. Would you say we improved as a team the season after the last 16? Would you say we done enough to strengthen the team the next again season after qualifying for the group stages for the second year running? Everyone claims we need CL money to improve on the park. Where is the evidence to back that up?

5. murphy88

I agree with you completely, and I've pointed this out before.

6. Swervedancer Guest

Our boards business model seems a little confusing. On the one hand our spending plan doesn't involve any European windfalls. On the other it means if we did qualify this last two years we'd be £40m better off. What on earth are we supposed to do with that money?

Is it possible once such a sum is accumulated then we could spend it on more expensive players and wages because instead of relying on CL money to pay for the wages they would be paid in advance by previous winnings?

7. JoeDan67

Yet some people think Ronny was a cheap option. We could have got Pep for £20m a season.

8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    :smiley-laughing002:

9. stirfry999

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate oreily kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    y n w a
    Okay tin hat on here heard from a very reliable source Owen coyle will be our new manager .He has just been cut from 20/1 to 5/1 you heard it here first

10. wulliebad

New manager this month....next month...summer 2016....or 2020.

Bit vague with your big new story.

11. Maestro 08

You're stupid or extremely gullible if u take that bet There is no vacancy to fill. So unless they are forecasting for when we go out the champs league next season it aint happening as the board have already backed him publicly until at least then.

12. Dáibhí

Is that the same Owen Coyle who is only one year into a three year contract with Houston Dynamo of MLS?

13. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    So you expected him to come in, play the exact same shape, tactics as personnel as Neil Lennon, despite quite clearly having his own ideas and players in mind? Do you realise how ridiculous that is?

Should any may manager in the future just copy Neil Lennons sttyle of play regardless of having their own philosophies? He was a great manager for us but his style of play isnt necessarily the only way we can be successful in our current financial situation.

If you think we were going to keep players like Forster and Van Dijk in the long run then you are naive. The trend was set when we sold Wanyama and Hooper under Lennon. Blaming Ronny for us being a selling club at this moment in time is just the height of stupidity.

14. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Which bookies is that?

5/1 from 20s........that just means one bookie has taken a grand or something usually, and they have spread it out.

If he was 1/5, you may have something.

15. Mannix

Where did I blame him for that?

I blame Ronny Deila for failing to get the best out of our current crop of players. We need a more pragmatic manager who will set us up properly in Europe to get results. Deila was supposed to be an assistant manager charged with promoting the youth system. The board went cutting corners and appointed him as manager as well when they found it difficult to replace Lenny with a similar manager. It's been a disaster in Europe and is costing the club millions.

A managers main job is to organise his team professionally and get them to punch their weight, after that he can afford to tweak things with different systems etc.. Deila in Europe - where it counts - has failed abysmally in that regard.

16. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Owen Coyle :smiley-laughing002: * that.

17. saltire78

They sink money into tangible infrastructure - stadium upgrade, new superstore, celtic way, youth academy. Basically low/medium return, ultra low risk investment. They also pay down debt to nominal/non existent levels.

It's a perfectly valid strategy. Just not one any of us is too happy about. It also ensures corporate/institution funds are stable due to solid returns

Edit: having said that, I've no financial background whatsoever so may be entirely wrong...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2015
  18. stirfry999

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate oreily kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    y n w a
    Paddy power just thought I would share what I heard could be wrong but this guy thinks it's a goer very soon

19. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Imagine the reaction if we got Owen Coyle :smiley-laughing002: as said before * that

20. Swervedancer Guest

I know nothing of finances either. I'm all for the development of the infrastructure to make it as modern as possible. I think Parkhead looks excellent these days. Getting rid of debt is essential too.

I agree it's a valid strategy. But if we earn more money than we need for non playing costs then we surely have to improve the squad. But as I said only with having the money for transfer and wages up front.