1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you be disappointed if Roy Keane was appointed?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ThisIsGhod, Jun 1, 2014.

Discuss Would you be disappointed if Roy Keane was appointed? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fonsai

i will be disappointed if he doesnt do well in the job, likewise i will delighted if he does well , simple really

2. Boom Stick

simply-NO

3. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    It's really not. I said they have 'better' experience; not more years of it. Look at the many good teams Steve Clark's help build at different clubs. Ok, he was mainly number 2, but I'd take that over Keane's atrocious signing record as the main man.

Mackay turned Watford into a credible, top-end Championship team, and laid the foundations for the great season they had under Zola where they narrowly missed out on 2nd and were unfortunate in the playoffs. He then built a v good Cardiff side and got them promoted under a crackpot owner and board.

I know Keane did v well in his first couple of years at Sunderland (despite some questionable signings and erratic interpersonal stuff that would make Di Canio look like Oprah), but his 3rd season was disastrous and the less said about his tenure at Ipswich the better.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  4. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    When i think of Venglos i think of this. Magical night.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zQ9NbYUTFc"]Celtic 5 Rangers 1 - 1998 - YouTube[/ame]

5. Mannix

It really is.

All of these guys you mention - Keane, Clark and Mackay - have similar good and bad experiences as a managers. You're diggin a hole here and need to look elsewhere if you want to put up examples of managers that have significantly more experience good or bad than Keane does that's worth talking about.

6. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney

Clarke for me isnt a manager though. I think he's too quiet and "nice" to be a good manager. Could have all the tools and ideas but id imagine players would walk all over him in the dressing room.

Id rather have Keane than Clarke. I think it's important to be a strong character to manage a "winning" team. As players have got to be scared of you or know you wont * about if you hit a rough patch of form. Where lesser happier managers would be like "oh were doing well things will change, we will soon get back to winning" and that type of patter.

Most successful managers are aggressive/hard characters. Even the ones you'd want if you were a newly promoted EPL team, guys like Pulis, Allerdyce, O'Neill.

Nicer or quieter types of manager are the type that get relegated Solskjaer, Zola, Mowbray, Clarke.

Even just as a fan I want to look at the manager and think thered be no * about with him.

One of Wengers faults too is that he's probably too much of a *. If he was a bit more mental Arsenal would probably do better as he signs good players and wants to play good football but they go through bad patches all the time and its become the usual. He isnt the type id imagine to go through players or demand more work-rate or rage at and drop players. He's the type players will know is an * which will lead to dropping standards on days they cant be arsed.

7. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    So you've gone from saying he's better than Clarke and Mackay to conceding that they have 'similar good and bad experiences'. Add to that your petty mimicking of my wording and your generally disrespectful tone and it's well seen that it's not me whose argument's digging a hole here.

He's just not as good a candidate. He lets his ego and stubbornness get the better of him. It's a massive flaw and one we can't afford. I think Mackay and Clarke have better (although not necessarily 'more') experience, but regardless of whether they have or haven't, they certainly don't have Keane's self-destructive pride.

8. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    Im coming round to idea but he wouldnt be my first choice.

9. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    I get what you're saying, ILTC, and I agree on how a manager should be, but Clarke's old school and I don't believe he's 'soft' at all. MON isn't a media hard man but, by all accounts, he still lays down the law in the dressing room.

While 'hardness' is an essential attribute for a manager, Keane's just unnecessarily incorrigible a lot of the time, and that spells disaster in the long term.

10. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
  11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I'd be massively underwhelmed and disappointed.

He does absolutely nothing for me, just seems a boring appointment.

12. ThisIsGhod

Yes is ahead

13. Mannix

He's a better candidate than those two, because he has similar experience than those two but he's also a bigger name that will be able to get a bit more funding from the board - initially at least.

14. Andy bhoy

Spent 80 million at Sunderland, including 2.5 million on Diouf.

Failed at the only clubs he has managed.

Yeah he would be a great appointment :rolleyes:

15. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    We'd be as well with Di Canio, by that logic.

Anyway, Mackay's no-nonsense in the boardroom too. That's why he left Cardiff.

16. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    :50:
    Pretty much spot on (though he did get Sunderland promoted, but like you imply, it ended in failure).

17. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

give me £80m and i'll get sunderland or any other team in the championship promoted, he bought the league by all accounts, nothing good managerish about that

18. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Would be very disappointed if he is our next manager, his record in management speaks for itself. Would set us back years in my opinion and would be a massive mistake.

19. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

In his first season he only spent £11m and got £6m back on players sold.

20. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Can't believe the poll is so close. Keane just reeks of a lack of ambition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.