1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Think we will ever get to a european final ever again

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Dirk_Diggler, May 20, 2014.

Discuss Think we will ever get to a european final ever again in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dirk_Diggler

Just thinking back to 2003, and the hunns managed to get there, albeit by penalties and 0-0 draws.

A think i will see it in my lifetime, big regret not having the money to go to seville, on the bru at the time.

I personally think we can do it maybe not currently, but within a good few years especially if we get the correct players in place, we are always very strong at home in europe and have beaten the best.

Benfica have just made the final 2 years on the trot, and it was not so long ago we were a match for them, have we went backwards?? dont remember them spending fortunes to get to the level they are at just now i think if we can get some quality additions and get to the quarters of that europa league and a right good bit of luck then it might be possible, as for the champions league final a think we have no chance of reaching that.

thoughts????

2. BigPaul67

I very much doubt it. I hope I am wrong in saying it, but when you consider we have only made it to 3 finals in our history and taking in to account some of the genuine top calls teams we have had over the years, it's not an easy thing to do. Just don't ever seeing us in a position to make another final unfortunately.

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I'll be lucky if I see us in another, in my life time.. 1 in life is not bad, I don't think..

2 would be great and to see us winning one, would be something else!

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2014
  4. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Of course.

Celtic Football Club could go on pretty much indefinitely. 100 years? 1000 years? Who knows. I would imagine we will be around for many more years to come and enjoy some further European success along the way.

5. Dirk_Diggler

:50:

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Some going that mate, just the 1 so far for me..

Touch wood I can get another..

Edit: WE, rather!

7. H67

Fav Celtic Player:
    All Who Wear The Hoops.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    If we have a board with ambition yes

8. Fiferbhoy1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Benfica only got to the final last year because we beat them to 2nd in our CL group

9. H67

Fav Celtic Player:
    All Who Wear The Hoops.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    Whats better 2 finals in a row or last 16 once and bottom of a group once?

10. Big Boss Gold Member Gold Member

If we had Hooper, Wanyama and a few others in key areas I genuinely think we could go far in the Europa League. The quarter or semi's wouldn't be too unrealistic, and who knows where we could go.

That being said, this currrent squad isn't anywhere near a European final, and that sadly is a reality we have to face for the next few years at least.

11. ulsterscot

It's not the board who will score the goals . It's not the board who will scout out and pick the players . In 1967, 1970 and 2003 I don't remember too many people thanking and praising the board . Since 2003 I think that we are now in the position, for the first time , to build a team to do better in Europe . In 2012/2013 we had really done little or no groundwork and I think the last 16 was over achieved . Now I think with a bit of luck this season or next we will compete successfully in Europe and could once again reach a final.

12. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Europa yes, CL sadly i think we cannot get there as long as non champions are allowed to play in the Champions league.... should be renamed the Affluent Clubs League. Also the club should only be rated on how it performs nit the rest of the teams from that country

we just cannot compete wages wise with the big guns from Spain, Germany and EPL

13. Hughesie

Unfortunatly we have a job on getting to a domestic final so a european one seems years away

14. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We will get to another final but it will take at least another decade to do so.

15. Fiferbhoy1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I was just making the point that we are able to compete with SLB

16. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    We will at some stage! Hope to see a day when it's an even playing field again! Footballs tv money and house of cards needs to fall first! Fans to the front and more Saturday 3pm football! Media is the barricade for us I'm afraid!

17. Jhoker

Who nose where we'll be in 10/20 years? Im confident we can make a europa league final again

18. ordinaryman

Never say never but unless we are taken over by some Russian or Middle Eastern billionaire, can't see it ever happening. We are a huge fish in a very small pond that by other European standards is getting smaller and smaller - let's see how Aberdeen,Motherwell and St Johnstone fair against Europe. Too often The Club allow us to hype up our players and dream about those who we are supposed to be after, but a couple of bottle tops is never going to buy enough class to get us to a European Final. If and it's a BIG if, we get to the CL group stages, then that's the equivalent of us getting to a Final.

19. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I was 6 for the Seville final and don't think I even watched it. Would be nice to experience a European Final in my lifetime.

20. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Europa final ,Yes we will of that I have no doubt.