1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Markybhoy, May 16, 2014.

Discuss The Tennis Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. St Patrick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy McCourt, Paddy Roberts, Sammy, Edouard
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roamin' in the Gloamin'
    Nothing wrong with a big serve, was a big Ivanisevic fan back in the day. Liked watching Janowicz last year but he's gone off the boil, think Raonic can maybe get to the semis at Wimbledon.

2. Mairéad

Has that horrible 'route one' feel about it, I suppose.

3. AnnoniOnAnawNoo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    The people near the top of the rankings with a big serve are there not because they have a big serve but that they have a big serve AND can play a bit. If it was all about big serves then Karlovic, Kevin Anderson et al would have also been near the top of the rankings which was never true.

4. Mairéad

Andy Roddick won a major on a large serve.

5. CELTICgirlSRB

Fav Celtic Player:
    They play for CFC just to reach the EPL. No love for CFC as deluded fans think
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Singing against English repression in English. Hahahaha, always a good laugh
    Me too. I dislike Sharapapova, I hope Halep will silence her. And Sharapova's service was awful yesterday. But she's a fighter and I think it will be a great match.
    But on the other side, it will be interesting if Sharapova wins it, I wonder how the French would react if the Russian anthem is going to be played. :icon_mrgreen:

I'm the first one who'll admit Đoković is the only man who can compete against Nadal on clay. He won a set against Nadal 2 years ago, last year, he was close, he won 2 sets, even had a break in the 5th set and lost it.
    It happened in Australia thios year agaisnt Wawrinka, also, in Indian Wells, he often loses the break advantage in the final set. Do you think it can happen to Nadal. No, Rafa is much psychologically stronger.
    Đoković beat him on clay in Rome twice and in Madrid 3 years ago, but the story about Đokovic as the favorite to win the RG is overrated. Yes, as I said, he did beat Nadal a few times, but that's one thing, Grand Slam is something really different. Secondly, Đoković in Grand Slams, he's not very successful, to be honest.

It is if you consider success to the finals, but not if you consider the success of the title. I don't watch tennis too much, but I don't know if there is a player who lost more GS finals than Đoković.
    His furious 2011, Đoković finished with four grand slam (one won in 2008), 3 2011. What follows two and a half seasons Nole took two grand slam, and both in Australia. That's a fact. For RG- for eight years he played only one finale, he did not even won and in 2011 when he played brilliant tennis. He does a lot of things this season, but ... if he fails, it will be difficult psychological blow. Because many see Đoković takes the title. He played well, was beating Nadal, in addition Rafa is struggling with the service. All leads that Novak can win, but what if Nadal again takes the trophy? Rafa will have 14 slams, as Sampras, Nole remains at 6.
    The man has 64 wins and 1 loss, it is unbelievable and I can't believe someone can say he's not favourite No1 to win this.
    Anyway, in case of Đoković-Nadal final, I'm sure Roger will support Đoković who can't reach his 17 GS titles, while Rafa can and I really hope he'll do it, because for me, he is a better player than Federer. And I always wonder what would have happened if Nadal wasn't injured that year when Roger won RG? If Federer hadn't won it, he wouldn't have been the greatest ever, because he wouldn't have had all the slams?

I disagree. Nadal didn't have a descent opponent until the quarter final and Đoković isn't guilty Gulbis beat Federer and Berdych.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2014
  6. Markybhoy

I always find it a bit strange when the commentators refer to Maria Sharapova as being Russian. She's more American than apple pie these days.

I'm not sure how you can say Novak Djokovic isn't that successful in Grand Slams. He has 6 Grand Slam wins already tucked away in his back pocket, which is the same number Stefan Edberg and Boris Becker won in their entire careers. Djokovic still has plenty time on his side and will more than likely end up in the top 5 Grand Slam winners ever to play the sport.

The only way you could justify your statement is to compare Djokovic to Federer, Sampras and Nadal. And of course you would be right to say that Djokovic is a long way behind them in Grand Slam wins. He hasn't been playing for as long as they have though so it's not a fair comparison to make.

For example, I could say to you - If you take away Nadal's complete domination on clay, he has only 5 Grand Slam titles to his name. Roger Federer would have 16. Federer is therefore obviously a far greater champion than Nadal.

Would it be fair for me to say that? No, it wouldn't. The fact is that Nadal has won the French Open 8 times and nobody can take that away from him.

I think your comment is a little bit harsh on Djokovic.

Again, I think you are doing Federer a bit of a disservice. You might well be right in saying that if Rafa hadn't been injured then Federer would never have won the French Open but we cannot deal in if's but's and maybes, we can only deal with what really happened and the fact is that Federer did eventually win it.

It's not as though Federer is a mug on clay courts, he's been one of the best clay court players in the world for the past decade. In any other era he'd have probably won the French Open more than once. It's just been unfortunate for him that arguably the greatest clay court player of all time has been around at the same time. Nadal's domination of the French Open is unprecedented and we may never see such domination of one tournament by one person ever again.

If you look at Federer's career record at the French Open he has been a runner up 4 times, a semi-finalist twice and a quarter finalist 3 times. With a record like that he definitely deserved to win the French at least once in his career. It would have been harsh on him if he hadn't.

Bjorn Borg was widely regarded as the best clay court player ever until Rafa came along. Would Borg have won 6 French Open titles if Rafa had been around at the same time? Would Rafa have won 8 French Open titles if Borg had been around at the same time??

The answer to both questions is most likely, no.

It all gets too hypothetical when we start asking these kinds of questions. Federer has the full set and has 17 Grand Slams in his back pocket. As of right now, he is the greatest. In my opinion anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2014
  7. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

Come on Novak, finish this to * so I can see sexy Rafa destroy Andrew the heroin addict!

8. Markybhoy

* sakes. Nole's head's in a shed here. Strange.

Come on Novak!

9. GavCFC1

Come on Gulbis

10. Markybhoy

Yasssssssssss!

[​IMG]

That was a strange dip Djokovic took in the 3rd set and early in the 4th. It was like nerves or a lack of confidence suddenly hit him. If Gulbis hadn't been labouring with his back that match might have ended up going 5 sets. Job done though. The last 12 months have all been leading up to this moment for Djokovic, he wants to win the French Open so badly.

Now for Rafa v the Brit. Hopefully it will be an epic with Rafa getting the job done in 5 sets.

11. Mairéad

The Brit to take a pounding in three!

12. St Patrick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy McCourt, Paddy Roberts, Sammy, Edouard
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roamin' in the Gloamin'
    Why do youse call Murray the Brit?

13. TimFloyd Gold Member

Oh * time to close down TC

14. Sonny7

Don't worry, not long to the yes vote and he'll be a Scot only:50: Freedom:86:

15. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

Little more than practice session for * Rafa at the moment, Andy "* save the queen" Murray being torn to pieces here.

16. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson (obvious choice ehh?)
    Sounds sick but I hope Murray gets pumped out of Wimbledon this year. If he wins it you know the unionists will latch on to it like wee cretins and try to manufacture this whole 'British feeling'.

I love Murray but this year everything counts. :smiley-laughing002:

Rafa for the lot.

17. Dallas Cowbhoys

I hope Murray smashes Wimbledon and I won't give a * if he slightly mumbles * Save the Queen afterwards

As pathetic as the aftermath on here was last year, it was still amusing to see a bunch of saddo's metaphorically frothing at the mouth over nothing

18. wd2oo3 Gold Member Gold Member

Rafa is too good. I know Murray has not had a great year so far but reaching the SF of Paris is a positive for him.

The king of clay will win Paris again this year and as much as I would like to see Murray do it again in Wimbledon I don't think ill have my money on anyone but Nadal.

19. Markybhoy

This is man against boy. Murray's well out his depth here.

Up until the quarter finals I made Djokovic the favourite to win this tournament. After seeing the way Rafa despatched Ferrer, and is now despatching Murray, I think it's hard to argue against Rafa being the favourite heading into Sunday's final.

20. GavCFC1

Really looking forward to Rafa and Djokovic on Sunday. Hope Rafa can do it again but think this may be Djokovic's year.