1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon Has Left Celtic

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by mickcfc91, May 11, 2014.

Discuss Neil Lennon Has Left Celtic in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. wulliebad

im guessing when you mention 8 years you are talking about the break up of the MON team because of the huge wages we was paying out.
    Yes when wgs came in the club started wage cutting because we was around 25 million in debt and the club had to act or end up like the zombie fc.

But from then to now the club has had a wage cap in place and all singing's have been aware of this and so has lennon.
    The club is now on a safe standing and actually has cash in the bank but only a few million.
    So why cut wages further....??? there is no need at this time.

I will ask you what i have asked others.
    Sell our best players....replace with lesser players.....fans lose interest and season tickets suffer.
    Club lose money....club does worse in Europe..ect and we are on a slippery slope.
    What would the board gain by doing this...????

2. Henrikisking

Of course I am a Celtic supporter and it proves it the hundreds of miles we clock up coming to the games. I am just a very angry fan right now.

3. wulliebad

Yes it is so ill ask you...why are the board doing this.....what do they gain.....????

4. Antz1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emillio Izaguirre, Joe Ledley, Beram Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    'You'll never walk alone' 'Let the People Sing'
    Clueless.

If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys as the saying goes. It is always a hit or a miss in the market we keep operating in.

How many other teams operating in our market continually churn out 5-10-12 million pound rated players? To slag of his recruitment is barmy, SAF Made dozens of "big" money mistakes never mind cheap ones.

5. Antz1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emillio Izaguirre, Joe Ledley, Beram Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    'You'll never walk alone' 'Let the People Sing'
    You skipped over the rest of my post, so I'm not debating with you.

I can't be bothered conversing with a guy who types like a 12 year old, and is always 100% behind every board decision no matter what.

6. jhimbhoab

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh
    Fav Celtic Song:
    have u seen a handsome hun
    i reckon Neil was told that Fraser is getting sold as is Virgil and maybe one or two others and the budget for replacing them was miniscule......so the demands and expectations remain the same.
    we trade the Ferrarri in for a ford fiesta to drive us there.........i fully understand his decision to leave.
    must be so frustrating to have to rebuild every season....as i fan its murder.....for him trying to fulfil our dreams and expectations whilst constantly getting put back to square one must have been grinding on his head.

7. Millerntor

Not bothered at all about his departure, an average manager with enough faults but credit to him for firstly not giving into the bigots when it would have been easier to walk away and, on the football front, for managing us to a memorable CL campaign last season.

In terms of the future, again it is bewildering that the names being thrown about are either ex-players or those known as Celtic fans - it should not be a prerequisite for the post and I hope we cast our net wider than that.

8. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Your last paragraph is spot on IMO. The whole point of this business model is to improve on the standard you can bring in. Doesn't have to be huge right away but to sell the best and just keep on replacing players who aren't near the same quality will always keep us at this level, and struggle to get into Europe.
    Why sell for £10+million and replace with £1mil? Where does all the profits go? Sure as * isn't making things cheaper for supporters. * all point in a healthy balance when you simply make fans fed up and not spending/ investing in Celtic.
    I do think the board do a good job in some areas. But to not invest in your manager who's done a * good job given resources is pish IMO

9. wulliebad

Well you insinuated i was a muppet with you little snide remark and didn't want to start throwing insults around so not answering that part.

I don't think the club is downsizing,the players leaving is nothing more than us being a stepping stone to the epl and they want to move on.

And the third part like i said why would the club do this....what would they gain....????

But if you have no answer just say so...no need to get so childish and throw your toys out of the pram.

10. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt

So would you say we are upgrading or stagnant.

11. wulliebad

i think the money has been used in part for players and keeping the club alive.
    I may be wrong but i though our last accounts showed only 5 million in the bank.
    I don't think the club is hiding some huge bank balance its just * expensive running the club.
    In your view how much money should a celtic manager get per summer for players for the club to be seen as backing him...??

12. wulliebad

I would say we are treading water,and i truly believe we just don't have the money to do anything else.

13. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt

We will never move forward treading water. We need to increase the level of our investment, not necessarily substantially to try to move forward. At some stage we will have to speculate to accumulate.

Also qualification for the CL should be a priority. Waiting for this nearly proved disastrous last season

14. wulliebad

So how far into debt do we go...?
    5/10/20 million.
    We was 25 million in debt with MON and got one single year out of it 2003.
    But it has taken us nearly 10 years to clear up that sort of spending.
    The problem with the CL is money alone is not the answer,IMO the right manager is needed or we may as well spend * all.
    Maybe time to spend more on the manager even if it means cutting back on players.

15. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt

I am not looking for any big spends that is why I posted "not necessarily substantially". We are operating profitably and I would like to see some of this profit go toward the team. We want to operate like Porto so we will need to increase the amount we invest in players. I would be happy for this to be done over a long period of time with small steady increase on what we spend.

16. Lennon2011

We could stop buying quantity (Bangura,Pukki,Balde,brozek,Lassad) and spend the money on a player with proven ability.

Although that's easier said than done.

17. wulliebad

But we have been spending the profits we only have a few million left in the bank and the board already stated before this all went off they was going to be spending more money.
    The problem is if we spend more on players we get less players in and less chances to get it right.

Well lennon had the choice spend it on many payers or just sign one player for more money.

18. Lennon2011

I'm not so sure mate, I recall Lennon saying he identifies targets and the board do the deals.

We've definitely heard a lot of nearly deals in the last 4 year's.

19. wulliebad

I do think plenty of deal have fallen through for different reasons but i would be surprised if PL and lennon are not talking all the way through everything right up to the point of the player signing.

20. Dáibhí

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that statement.

We bought Wanyama for under £1 million, Hooper for £2.5 million, and got Kelvin Wilson for nothing.

All of them were sold on at a profit, correct?

Then what we do is look for other players we can sign for the same ballpark amounts and sell them on for a profit, right?

We then sign Forster permanently for £2 million & Van Dijk for £2.6 million. If the correct offer comes in we sell them on at a profit as well, and look to replace them with players in the same ballpark figure and so on.

That doesn't mean we are selling Ferrari's and buying Fiesta's, does it?

There seems to be a system in place where we buy prospects at a young age, they do a job for us, then we sell them on at profit, use some of that money to buy more prospects and continue the cycle.

I don't know what fans want us to do?

We brought in somewhere in the region of £20.5 million in fees last season, both during summer & winter windows. We spent in the region of £13.5 million in the same timeframe, meaning a profit of £7 million.

Am I the only one who deems that acceptable business practice?