1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

"The PLC"

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Rosleabhoy, Feb 21, 2014.

Discuss "The PLC" in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Of course they don't, and that's the point. Attendances are dropping in every league around Europe. Arguably not in Germany mind you.
    So tell us, what are the reasons behind dropped attendances in other countries?
    Don't try and pull the whole "I don't care about other countries" line either. Because clearly this is not an isolated incident with Celtic and attendances, it's happening everywhere. Coincidently it coincides with the demise of our enemy though.

Or do you suggest that regardless of what's happening in other countries, we would be the exception to the rule had rangers not died?

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

2. Roy's Keane

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    Pretty much agree with everything that rosleabhoy has said in this thread.

But in the main:

- attendances have dropped purely and utterly due to lack of competition. The end.

- the GB are great but if youngsters step out of line they should expect people in authority to try and keep them in check.

- Anyone who call's Celtic "The PLC" is a complete cocksnotter.

3. combene

It's listed in the annual report. Turn to page 28. 999k in total compensation. And no CEO of any Premiership club is making 2 million so he wouldn't get double. Not even close

http://www.celticfc.net/downloads/AnnualReport_2013.pdf

4. Rosleabhoy

Yes after bonus. Not as a base salary.

5. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson (obvious choice ehh?)
    I think ILTC is talking in terms of him as a CEO in general. He can probably leave and become a CEO for a non-footballing company and earn double, treble - QUADRUPLE, what he earns at Celtic.

Plus the CEO at Manchester United earns £3million per annum. :smiley-laughing002: Arsenals earns £2 million I think.

6. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I dont mean just in Football, he could get a job in loads of other fields.

£1million for the CEO of a company with a turnover over £70million isnt high. He has never even had £1million either, on average he gets about £700k.

If he walked out the door today, id guess he could walk into another job on triple the pay he's on now within months. He's not at Celtic for money, he's probably a fan who is happy enough to take that amount of money but ensure his team is well run, if he left who knows what sort would replace him.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2014
  7. combene

If he left what would we lose? Why is he the key component here that nobody else could possibly replace?

8. combene

Oh, so bonus money isn't actual money just like "Arab" money or tv money isn't real either. Way to be consistent

9. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Told a lie there but I was close:

10. Rosleabhoy

The fact he's got us on an excellent footing with a much poorer income than clubs our size elsewhere? He's a great CEO with great contacts and business acumen. Anyone who has ever spoken of him says so. His results speak for themselves. Desmond....a hugely successful businessman also recognises his worth.

11. combene

This is complete nonsense. Nothing he has done has made us any money. As I laid out in an earlier post, it's been what the manager and the scouts have done that's brought us this revenue. If Lawwell left, nothing would change

12. combene

Oh diddums. I hope we don't lose him to spurs or Man U. We'd be * :smiley-laughing002: :bbpd:

13. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Well think if another guy took over 10 years ago, do you think they'd have been as successful as Lawwell?

Just look at the former neighbours, they had higher incomes than us when Lawwell took over but the mismanagement was hilarious, they ended up with lesser and lesser sponsorship deals going from Nike to Diadora to Umbro, their debt was never managed, their stadium has saw no improvement they stood still or regressed. That could easily happen to us or could have happened.

The CEO is the big decision maker and negotiator. Nike just didnt come to us offering £5million and we done the deal and that was that, nor did they come back offering us £1million more when it was re-negotiated. The CEO has to deal with all that, force the money out others pockets and into ours, oversee and set up everything.

If you dont think he's done or doing a good job or good at his job then id advise you never to start your own company.

14. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Its not really hard to believe? Arsenal wanted him back in 2008 but he decided to stay with us.

Big clubs will have looked at him/want him.

15. combene

That's complete avoidance of my question. First, you can't prove that someone else couldnt have negotiated better deals with Nike (which was a horrible deal when you understand the specifics) et al. You're grasping at straws. And by the way I run my own very successful company. So I'd advise you to get your facts straight before you talk *

16. combene

What a hero.

I still have yet to hear a lucid argument as to why he's irreplaceable other than the financials are good now (which he had nothing to do with) or that's he's a good businessman (however you'd measure that) or that he's got "contacts" whatever the * that means.

17. Rosleabhoy

I'll guess Desmond knows better

18. Rosleabhoy

Nobody is irreplaceable. Whether they do good or better job remains to be seen...at his salary or less

19. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    You clearly dont understand anything about the running of a company/football club.

Nothing is offered to us on a plate or works it's self out. Everything we have become is due to tough negotiating, expanding, relationship building and all manner of things you could be here all day talking about being managed.

Nobody decides to give us anything, the CEO of Celtic cant be a pushover or a shitebag.

Nike could come back to us the next time the contract runs out and say We're not giving £6million any more how about £4million. With the likes of Lawwell, he'd probably manage to find a way somehow to still manage to get £6million or a better deal to sell our own merchanside with someone. A numpty who doesnt really know what they're doing their * would collapse and they'd go running to Adidas for example for £4.5million.

The CEO manages everything and oversees it all. We have great facilities, connections, youth set up, we get invited to youth tournaments, get good sponsorship deals, have great deals with banks etc because of Lawwell.

None of that was handed to us or set up * Nilly it takes years to build a reputation.

The running of the club on the park is only enabled due to good running off it, if things go pearshaped on the park but off the park we're as happy as larry then it can be fixed but if things are good on the park and pearshaped off it then that will soon * up on the park with the selling of players etc

20. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    How is he talking *? There are good CEO's and then there are bad CEO's for christ sakes, some people are better at their job than others - that happens across the board in life.

If it was that easy then why did the other lot across Glasgow end up in financial ruin? Given that we are in an impoverished league, he has done extremely well.

And why was the Nike deal a horrible one?