1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

"The PLC"

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Rosleabhoy, Feb 21, 2014.

Discuss "The PLC" in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Rosleabhoy

Nonsense. It was written with input from all clubs...not written by Lawell

No traps were set for GB. If they fell foul of rules they did so having been warned numerous times down the years.

I love what the GB can do. Some errors of judgement have been made though.

Anyone with the slightest knowledge of Lawell knows he's a Celtic man.

2. Rosleabhoy

Eh no we are not. We are huge in terms of income...it's only tv cash and a rich Arab making differences. Check out Uefa rich list. The fact we are where we are now DESPITE our league is a credit to the board.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2014
  3. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson (obvious choice ehh?)
    Its not desperate? He's right. Attendances were up on the whole last season across the board in Scotland. Across Europe however, they are falling. He is taking the * out of the desperate dans who are clinging to Sevco.

You also can't prove the part in bold. Its a bit more complex than just the death of Sevco.

4. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson (obvious choice ehh?)
    Huge in terms of what?

In terms of Scotland - yes! However on the global scale we have slipped. 16th in 2007, now we are nowhere near the top 20's.

The only thing I will give you is that we are huge in terms of small nations.

5. Rosleabhoy

Income tv aside. Worldwide audience, 60,000 stadium, huge fan base.
    We are not out of top 20 due to the board.
    Lawell has a huge job.

6. Vertie Auld

I'm not in denial. I go to every league home game and every European home game, in addition to as many friendlies, away games and domestic cup matches as I can get to. I don't miss them at all and I'd be happy enough if we never played them again. I go to games and I sing from the first whistle to the last. Do you?

Nice try though. * clown.

7. combene

So tv money and "Rich Arab" money doesn't actually exist? Or it doesn't count? Delusional

We are not in the top six anything rich list. We don't have the same money as English teams yet Lawwell gets paid the same as their elite clubs. Therefore, drastically overpaid. Next

8. Rosleabhoy

The reason crowds have fell is lack of competition.

9. Rosleabhoy

QPR on paper have more money. They are clearly a far smaller concern to run. It's not even comparable. We are a huge club trapped in a small league. Having more money coming in from tv makes other jobs easier

10. Vertie Auld

The people who need Rangers or a parody of Rangers in order to turn up at Celtic Park aren't Celtic fans and they're no loss to the club.

11. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

We spent a decent amount, but I can't help but think, considering the CL money alone is more than enough to cover running costs, that the £9/10 million we spent in the summer wasn't as much as we could have spent. We received over £20 million in transfer fee's, so to me, we could have spent a bit more of that. Hopefully we do this summer with another CL campaign under our belts and in the bank.

12. Vertie Auld

Good. Fewer hangers on.

13. Rosleabhoy

I'd like that too. Hope so

14. Rosleabhoy

I think it's sad that's a reason however, financially, they are a loss

15. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Lawwell doesn't get paid that much, he could easily leave us and walk into a job where he is paid much better, could probably even get a job that'd pay him double what we do.

16. Jinky.

I agree, its good the old firm fans have left. Leave us Celtic supporters to it.

Its sad they need the dead team to get excited about watching Celtic.

17. Rosleabhoy

Agreed. Fans seen to have some strange views on how his salty should be calculated. He's got a huge job.

18. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The board run the club well, there are obvious improvements to be made but you can't discount the fact we did spend a fair amount of money in the summer, only problem is the players that we signed barring VVD have been disappointing and certainly made no difference in Europe.

19. Vertie Auld

To be fair, it took last season's side a season or two to get to that level. I'd imagine we'll see the best of Biton, Johansen, Boerrigter, Baldé, Pukki & Griffiths next season. Biton, Johansen & Griffiths already seem to be coming onto a game.

20. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    In his role he's probably one of the top guys in the world.

A lot of people would be shocked if he left and we appointed some numpty who doesn't have as good a connections or relationships to get as good a deals from sponsors etc

Also we could end up with someone who wants to make a name for themself and loosens the purse strings and splashed a bit of cash and it backfires and leaves us in the *.

Under Lawwell we have seen record merchanside sales, record sponsorship deals, record income, our biggest player sales, top drawer training facilities built, almost total elimination of any debt etc he probably also played big part in getting the Commonwealth games and Cup finals to Celtic Park and the rejuvenation of the surrounding of Celtic Park thats come with that.

A less strong, driven, motivated, persuasive, intelligent CEO over the last 10 years wouldn't have done anywhere near as good a job. Things don't get offered to us on a plate, we have to talk people into it and force people into giving us more money or prove we are worth X millions.

Theres dozens of things that could go pearshaped at Celtic, that have to be run and managed well and expanded when possible at the right times. 95% of others if they were in his position would not have capitalised and done anywhere near as well as he has for the club.

Working in football he must be atleast one of the top 25 CEO's in the World. He's probably arguably the best in the UK, I dont know many others though but Gaizidis and Levy seem the best two in England. Woodward, Werner, Soriano and Gourlay at the other top English teams dont seem anything special.