1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

2015 General Election Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Ledleysleftfoot, Feb 21, 2014.

Discuss 2015 General Election Discussion Thread in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    lexandra McArthur retweeted
    Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 10 mins10 minutes ago
    New Sky News/ Thrasher poll of polls/ HoC projection:
    CON 282
    LAB 272
    LD 17
    UKIP 2
    SNP 54
    OTHERS 23
    HUNG PARLIAMENT - based on C:34 L:33

2. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    lexandra McArthur retweeted
    Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 10 mins10 minutes ago
    New Sky News/ Thrasher poll of polls/ HoC projection:
    CON 282
    LAB 272
    LD 17
    UKIP 2
    SNP 54
    OTHERS 23
    HUNG PARLIAMENT - based on C:34 L:33

3. Dáibhí

Simply as a means to an end though, the whole "lesser of all evils" type deal. He doesn't back the SNP policies for the most part.

How so?

4. Dáibhí

Simply as a means to an end though, the whole "lesser of all evils" type deal. He doesn't back the SNP policies for the most part.

How so?

5. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    So much for UKIP winning the whole thing ha personally I think a UKIP in a collation is the best way to get rid of them because if there in the opposition I can only see the party staying around and getting stronger and nobody wants that hopefully they get nobody in

6. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    So much for UKIP winning the whole thing ha personally I think a UKIP in a collation is the best way to get rid of them because if there in the opposition I can only see the party staying around and getting stronger and nobody wants that hopefully they get nobody in

7. wulliebad

Does anyone think the tories and labour could do a coalition to keep the snp out of westminster.
    Would they put all they are meant to stand to one side and work together,for me now would be the one time they could do such a thing as labour is no longer the labour we all grew up with.

8. wulliebad

Does anyone think the tories and labour could do a coalition to keep the snp out of westminster.
    Would they put all they are meant to stand to one side and work together,for me now would be the one time they could do such a thing as labour is no longer the labour we all grew up with.

9. Dáibhí

UKIP will get exactly what they deserve. If the British people believe in them and their policies, then they'll gain some seats. If not, then they won't.

Simple as that.

10. Dáibhí

UKIP will get exactly what they deserve. If the British people believe in them and their policies, then they'll gain some seats. If not, then they won't.

Simple as that.

11. Tifosi Celtic

The SSP & the NOTW scandal. He ripped that party apart.

12. Tifosi Celtic

The SSP & the NOTW scandal. He ripped that party apart.

13. Tifosi Celtic

UKIP we're never going to win the whole thing. But I predict a major increase in their votes and a few seats.

14. Tifosi Celtic

UKIP we're never going to win the whole thing. But I predict a major increase in their votes and a few seats.

15. Dáibhí

How did he rip the SSP apart?

16. Dáibhí

How did he rip the SSP apart?

17. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    I know but it's just how the media portray them I'd honestly like to see facts about how much air time they get compared to the other party's any time I turn on sky news or the bbc it's just them the whole time

18. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    I know but it's just how the media portray them I'd honestly like to see facts about how much air time they get compared to the other party's any time I turn on sky news or the bbc it's just them the whole time

19. Dáibhí

That's because Farage is smart. He knows that his party would receive little coverage unless he constantly gives the media something to talk about, which he does on a regular basis.

20. Dáibhí

That's because Farage is smart. He knows that his party would receive little coverage unless he constantly gives the media something to talk about, which he does on a regular basis.

21. Tifosi Celtic

Dragged party members through the court. Rubbished them all over the place purely for the basis they wouldn't lie for him. Denouncing everyone as a traitor. Its all for the cult of Tommy with Tommy. Led a split along with his cult followers. How long have you actually got in terms of his mad */destruction of the SSP scandal.

He's charismatic, but he's a complete egotistic, sociopath.

They have captured a section of support too, that the BNP & NF have long been after. The biggest issue will be if they can maintain it.

22. Tifosi Celtic

Dragged party members through the court. Rubbished them all over the place purely for the basis they wouldn't lie for him. Denouncing everyone as a traitor. Its all for the cult of Tommy with Tommy. Led a split along with his cult followers. How long have you actually got in terms of his mad */destruction of the SSP scandal.

He's charismatic, but he's a complete egotistic, sociopath.

They have captured a section of support too, that the BNP & NF have long been after. The biggest issue will be if they can maintain it.

23. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda

24. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda

25. Dáibhí

Funnily enough I actually studied the court case, and attended virtually every sitting of the trial in 2010/11, so I doubt there's much you can tell me about the case that I don't already know.

Such as the fact that the minutes of the meeting that supposedly documented Tommy's "confession" to the party leaders that he was guilty of the nightclub incident were not actually ratified. Did you know that? For a document to become minutes in a legal sense they have to be signed off, which never happened in this case.

Barbara Scott presented a handwritten set of notes, along with a printed copy of those notes as the minutes of the meeting in question, but they weren't actually signed off unfortunately.

Not only that, but in the 2006 trial the National Secretary of the SSP, Alan Green told a court that he had "destroyed" the original handwritten notes of the meeting after a typed copy had been made, only for Barbara Scott to claim in the 2010/11 trial that she actually had the handwritten copy in her handbag at the actual 2006 trial itself, but that she never produced them!

Scott also admitted in court that despite her being the usual minute-taker at SSP meetings Alan Green had "given her guidance" on what to write.

It can also be considered a bit off that of the twenty Crown witnesses against Sheridan in 2010/11 each and every single one was a signed up member of the "united left" platform within the SSP (and I do mean actually signed up, with signatures and all that), not to mention that dates, times and facts given by certain SSP witnesses in 2006 had suddenly changed by the time 2010/11 came around.

The whole situation is certainly not as cut & dried as you seem to think, that's for sure, especially when you consider the fact that two of the key witnesses in the 2010/11 trial were later charged with perjury as well!

26. Dáibhí

Funnily enough I actually studied the court case, and attended virtually every sitting of the trial in 2010/11, so I doubt there's much you can tell me about the case that I don't already know.

Such as the fact that the minutes of the meeting that supposedly documented Tommy's "confession" to the party leaders that he was guilty of the nightclub incident were not actually ratified. Did you know that? For a document to become minutes in a legal sense they have to be signed off, which never happened in this case.

Barbara Scott presented a handwritten set of notes, along with a printed copy of those notes as the minutes of the meeting in question, but they weren't actually signed off unfortunately.

Not only that, but in the 2006 trial the National Secretary of the SSP, Alan Green told a court that he had "destroyed" the original handwritten notes of the meeting after a typed copy had been made, only for Barbara Scott to claim in the 2010/11 trial that she actually had the handwritten copy in her handbag at the actual 2006 trial itself, but that she never produced them!

Scott also admitted in court that despite her being the usual minute-taker at SSP meetings Alan Green had "given her guidance" on what to write.

It can also be considered a bit off that of the twenty Crown witnesses against Sheridan in 2010/11 each and every single one was a signed up member of the "united left" platform within the SSP (and I do mean actually signed up, with signatures and all that), not to mention that dates, times and facts given by certain SSP witnesses in 2006 had suddenly changed by the time 2010/11 came around.

The whole situation is certainly not as cut & dried as you seem to think, that's for sure, especially when you consider the fact that two of the key witnesses in the 2010/11 trial were later charged with perjury as well!

27. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Tommy Sheridan isn't backing the SNP on a 'lesser of all evils' premise. He's backing the SNP as they are, for all intents and purposes, the only feasible existing route to Scottish Independence.

A lot of people are in the same boat.

28. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Tommy Sheridan isn't backing the SNP on a 'lesser of all evils' premise. He's backing the SNP as they are, for all intents and purposes, the only feasible existing route to Scottish Independence.

A lot of people are in the same boat.

29. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson (obvious choice ehh?)
    Anyone watch the BBC Panorama last night? It was about the elections and it was based on this guy - Nate Silver - predicting the outcome of the general election.

He is the guy who predicts the outcome of all elections, predicting the outcome of the 2012 presidential election perfectly - he predicted every state, when the media were calling it too close to call. His company FiveThirtyEight, use complex algorithms and analyse data all day, every day.

Basically he is the worlds most famous statistician; Americans leading statistician.

Anyway, his predictions are: Conservative (283); Labour (270); SNP (48); Liberal Democrats (24); DUP (8); UKIP (1) and others (16).

Basically I think that looks spot on and if the worlds leading statistician is backing this then its hard to go against. However he did look like he struggled with our multi-party system, in comparison to the United States.

This would mean that the Conservatives get the most seats, however there is no clear alliance they can make to form a coalition, even with Lib Dem, they would have no where near enough. This opens the arena for Labour, who would have more options (SNP/Liberal Democrats etc), however if they want power, they will have to work with the SNP. However even with the SNP, they still won't have a majority.

This elections is going to be amazing. :smiley-laughing002:

30. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson (obvious choice ehh?)
    Anyone watch the BBC Panorama last night? It was about the elections and it was based on this guy - Nate Silver - predicting the outcome of the general election.

He is the guy who predicts the outcome of all elections, predicting the outcome of the 2012 presidential election perfectly - he predicted every state, when the media were calling it too close to call. His company FiveThirtyEight, use complex algorithms and analyse data all day, every day.

Basically he is the worlds most famous statistician; Americans leading statistician.

Anyway, his predictions are: Conservative (283); Labour (270); SNP (48); Liberal Democrats (24); DUP (8); UKIP (1) and others (16).

Basically I think that looks spot on and if the worlds leading statistician is backing this then its hard to go against. However he did look like he struggled with our multi-party system, in comparison to the United States.

This would mean that the Conservatives get the most seats, however there is no clear alliance they can make to form a coalition, even with Lib Dem, they would have no where near enough. This opens the arena for Labour, who would have more options (SNP/Liberal Democrats etc), however if they want power, they will have to work with the SNP. However even with the SNP, they still won't have a majority.

This elections is going to be amazing. :smiley-laughing002:

31. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

That would effectively destroy support for parties, Labour Scotland would be gone and support for them in England would start to deteriorate fast, goes against everything Milliband has said for the past few months, he would be getting in bed with the enemy. Most likely is UKIP and Tories coalition then Labour refusing a coalition with SNP.

32. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

That would effectively destroy support for parties, Labour Scotland would be gone and support for them in England would start to deteriorate fast, goes against everything Milliband has said for the past few months, he would be getting in bed with the enemy. Most likely is UKIP and Tories coalition then Labour refusing a coalition with SNP.

33. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Exactly, there's not many that agree with all their policies but their ultimate goal to get us to Scottish Independence has a lot of people jumping on their train.

34. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Exactly, there's not many that agree with all their policies but their ultimate goal to get us to Scottish Independence has a lot of people jumping on their train.

35. wulliebad

Ukip i don't think will have enough mp to affect much and even lib dems are going to take a kicking after there back stabbing of students.

I guess it comes down to what the english labour voter sees as the biggest enemy...tories or the snp.

36. wulliebad

Ukip i don't think will have enough mp to affect much and even lib dems are going to take a kicking after there back stabbing of students.

I guess it comes down to what the english labour voter sees as the biggest enemy...tories or the snp.

37. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    This woman must live near me as I just saw him leave our estate :56:

Eileen ‏@Eileen43Eileen 28m28 minutes ago
    Just had my local mp at my door giving me absolute dogs abuse for being an snp voter!!! Thank * my painter was in to hear it.

Paul McDougall ‏@Paul__McDougall 24m24 minutes ago
    @Eileen43Eileen @ellencoylexohot Who is your local MP?

960jeannie960 retweeted
    Eileen ‏@Eileen43Eileen 23m23 minutes ago
    @Paul__McDougall @ellencoylexohot gregg Mclymont

38. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    This woman must live near me as I just saw him leave our estate :56:

Eileen ‏@Eileen43Eileen 28m28 minutes ago
    Just had my local mp at my door giving me absolute dogs abuse for being an snp voter!!! Thank * my painter was in to hear it.

Paul McDougall ‏@Paul__McDougall 24m24 minutes ago
    @Eileen43Eileen @ellencoylexohot Who is your local MP?

960jeannie960 retweeted
    Eileen ‏@Eileen43Eileen 23m23 minutes ago
    @Paul__McDougall @ellencoylexohot gregg Mclymont

39. Dáibhí

Tommy's already said privately that he's backing the SNP in a bid to oust Labour from Scotland, and the 'Tories from Westminster.

He views a vote for the SNP as a strategic move to provide the UK with "the lesser of evils".

40. Dáibhí

Tommy's already said privately that he's backing the SNP in a bid to oust Labour from Scotland, and the 'Tories from Westminster.

He views a vote for the SNP as a strategic move to provide the UK with "the lesser of evils".