1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

2015 General Election Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Ledleysleftfoot, Feb 21, 2014.

Discuss 2015 General Election Discussion Thread in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. mls1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura and Moravcic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    SNP with 51+ seats in Scotland is 2/1 favourite.

2. wulliebad

Yes.

3. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    I put this in the wrong thread yesterday. How I actually think I despise this twonk of a guy

http://t.co/BTLwvVrOkx

4. wulliebad

What have the SNP ever done for us?

Re-introduced FREE higher education by scrapping tuition fees and the £2,300 graduate endowment.

Increased funding for college bursaries to support more than 42,000 students.

358 new schools have been built or refurbished, meaning that over 130,000 pupils have been taken out of dilapidated and substandard school buildings.

They’ve put 1,105 more police on Scotland’s streets, helping drive recorded crime down to its lowest level for 38 years.

Used £46 million seized from criminals to invest in community projects for 600,000 Scottish kids.

Provided more free nursery education, benefitting 100,000 pre-school Scots and their working parents.

Reformed the laws on sexual offences to make it easier to prosecute people for serious sexual attacks.

Increased funding for Victim Support Scotland and our victim notification scheme is helping people affected by crime.

Given parents more information on dangerous paedophiles to protect children in local communities.

A record 39 new renewable projects since coming to power and pioneering climate change legislation.

Scotland i now produces 51% of our electricity needs from clean green renewable sources thanks to SNP policies. And aiming for 100 per cent by 2020.

A £10 million Saltire prize for marine energy innovation has made Scotland a focal point for research and deployment of marine renewable technology.

Reduced the carbon footprint of the rail network by delivering 218 miles of new electrified track across the country.

Made public transport FREE for all pensioners.

Recycling is at its highest level ever under the SNP Government.

There will be NO new nuclear power stations in Scotland with the SNP.

They helped 250,000 people expand their learning with Individual Learning Accounts to pay for training courses.

Frozen council tax for the past 5 years, saving the average family more than £300.

24,000 affordable houses since coming into office – that’s an average of 117 new houses every week – creating jobs in the construction sector.

Protected spending in the NHS with an extra £1.2 billion over the last four years to safeguard frontline services.

Spent £840 million to build the new South Glasgow Hospital.

Abolished prescription charges, saving people with long-term illnesses an average of more than £180 and scrapped charges at all NHS-run hospital car parks.

Criminals are being locked up for longer with prison sentences at their longest for a decade.

Violent crime is down by just under a third, and offences involving a firearm by almost half.

Tackling Scotland’s drug problem through the national drugs commission, and 20 per cent more funding to help people recover from addiction.

Slashed or abolished business rates for around 80,000 small shops and local employers, protecting jobs in tough times and matched the English business rates poundage, giving Scottish business a £200 million competitive advantage.

Committed to providing at least 25,000 modern apprenticeships this year

Found an extra £2.3 billion for jobs and public services by cutting back on waste and bureaucracy in Government, breaking the target of 1.5% efficiency savings.

Helped ensure that four out of five contracts for work in the public sector go to small businesses and our Scottish Investment Fund helps some of the best grassroots business projects get up and running.

More GP practices are open in the evenings and at weekends.

Helped to ensure infection in Scottish hospitals is now at an all time low through independent inspections, tripling the funding, hiring 1,000 more cleaners, introducing a new staff uniform and dress code and a zero tolerance approach to non-compliance with hand hygience policies.

Made sure our older generation is properly cared for by increasing payments for free personal and nursing care for the first time since it was introduced.

5. CelticFC1967

Really terrible editing on that.

6. Ninefingers

Will be voting SNP but if we had got a Yes vote I would be voting Greens. Really hope the Greens get a good bash at governing in the not-so-distant-future.

7. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    What editing? It looks real. Have to say if it is edited it's been done well :56:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2015
  8. BRAIN CAPERS

Living in England means it'll have to be Labour for me, couldn't vote for any of the others down here.

9. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson (obvious choice ehh?)
    They definitely are running scared of the SNP, most definitely.

Anyone watch the Politics show on Sunday? The leaders of the Scottish parties were there, yet again they all ganged up on Nicola and it became and absolute rammy and a shouting and slanging match - the presenter let Jim Murphy run wild and dictate the terms of the conversation. Not due to favour but due to his incompetence (Andrew Kerr I think his name is, he's normally ok aswell).

Nicola got torn apart for suggesting the best way to deal with the deficit is to grow your way out and borrow in the short term - by Jim Murphy, yet Jim himself suggested the same thing will be done by Labour for the whole of the United Kingdom....

His sums were dodgy aswell, he just plucked a £3billion raised through re-instating the 50p tax rate - i don't think it would raise anywhere near that. Also said something about no cuts being made, yet Ed Balls rubbished this.

Thing is, the SNP are backed into a corner. They will be slagged no matter what. They work well with what they have and when anything bad happens - ts their fault. All countries go through bad patches economically, Scotland has done well for the past 30 years, yet we have one bad blip (just now) and its disaster, proof we can't be independent, we are skint and too poor. The people (no voters and those down South) believe this too.

Nicola is great but I don't think she can constantly keep taking this attacking and ganging up on by the others, Alex Salmond could handle it with ease and with a deft touch, I don't believe Nicola has that touch.

Think Jim will get away with it, he'l keep his seat and Labour probably will keep more than a few.

10. Tifosi Celtic

Mr Murphy told Sky News the poll showed the nationalists were "David Cameron’s little helpers" and could make him an "accidental Prime Minister".

Asked about the dire poll results during a campaign visit to Glenrothes, Mr Murphy told
    Sky News: “This is another difficult poll for the Scottish Labour Party.

“If this poll was repeated on election day the SNP would win a lot of seats.
    "If Labour loses a lot of seats in Scotland David Cameron would be absolutely delighted.

“David Cameron cannot win seats here in Scotland.

"He has to get someone else to beat the Labour Party for him and at this election, based on these opinion polls, the SNP are David Cameron’s little helpers.

“If the SNP takes seats off Labour and reduces the size of the Labour Party, it’s increasing the chance of David Cameron clinging on to power and Scotland would be voting to make him the prime minister.”

11. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    that so called debate was a * disgrace !!!! even the presenter joined in the harassment .... and murphys shouty shouty over sturgeon trying to make a point shows what a total tool he is .

12. Tifosi Celtic

13. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    That debate kind of backfired as it swayed more than a few towards SNP. Murphy just chunters on shouting over people whilst they talk. Ruth was shameful haw hawing in the background like some nodding donkey, wee Willie was like the little boy in the background pointing his finger at Nicola. There was a level of aggression particularly from Murphy that shouldn't have been allowed. The interviewer handled the whole thing very badly and even he had his digs at NS.

It was an absolute turnoff and anyone with half a brain could see what they were about. NS came out of that with peoples sympathy. She would have been better to sit back and let them rant and refuse to speak if she was being interrupted. There's no point in a question if you don't allow someone to answer. She will learn from these situations. Murphy comes across as a bullying thug and I wouldn't even give him the time of day and she's so much better than that.

On another note NS is looking very tired. She never lets up in these campaigns and particularly during the referendum where she not only looked tired but lost weight.

14. Dáibhí

Just had another, in depth look at my local candidates and none of them are worth voting for at all.

I'll definitely be voting Labour in the Scottish elections though.

15. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    That's assuming they bother having candidates then :86:

16. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Natalie McGarry ‏@nataliemcgarry 1h 1 hour ago
    There's a concerted effort to portray me as anti-Irish & anti-Catholic. My mum is half Irish, I'm Catholic. Absolute bile entering politics.

17. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
  18. Dáibhí

They will where I live :86:

19. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Good luck with your campaign dear :smiley-laughing002:

20. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough