1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Summer Holidays!

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Graeme1888, Feb 17, 2014.

Discuss Summer Holidays! in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I don't know about you guys but I'm already planning my summer holiday. I've been looking into the Inter-rail thing, anyone ever done this sort of traveling before? Going around Europe on trains and stuff?

Anyone else looking into their summer holidays yet? Where you's all off to? :icon_mrgreen:

2. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Should be (hopefully) going to california late August to fly in a 4 seater plane around the USA, when i say fly i mean my mate is, i am just tagging along( he is racking up miles for his commercial licence), although he did say he will let me fly a bit too! Going to be * epic.

* might even get the chance to join that mile high club..., let him focus on flying while i do some other business in the back!

3. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

How can he focus on flying while you're round the back doing the business. He's bound to feel it. :icon_mrgreen:

4. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Going to Butlins in Skegness in July. It's a * of a drive but it's the perfect place to take my wee girl, the entertainment for kids is second to none.

5. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Going to Marmaris in June, first holiday in 3 years & not been to Marmaris

6. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    no holidays for poor people .

7. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Not done that by train but by Eurolines coach from Glasgow Buchanan Street.
    Went to Germany through France. Travelled to Romania, Austria and a few other places. Done it for a month. Was brilliant and met one of my ex girlfriends on the bus.

8. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    I was thinking it would be nice to go somewhere in Scotland for a change :celt_2: Somewhere I've never been like Mull or Islay or some such place.

9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I've done,London to brussells then dam and then up to Bremen..

Loved it and my favourite way of travelling,would love to do it around europe properly though..

Hate flying so I'd have to now anyway :52:

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Mates got an apartment in torrevieja/Alicante so can kind of go when I want,probably around late may drive with the family stop off in France for a night to break up the journey..

11. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Stag party for 3 nights in Magaluf....that's it,probably be divorced after that,so I never booked a proper holiday.

12. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Usually try and get to Rome twice a year, but no real plans this year yet.

Might rent a house in Donegal for a week or so in the summer.

13. pablo88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    We love Butlins, done Bognor Regis 2 yaers ago (the wave hotel) & 4 years ago (shoreline hotel), flew to Gatwick and took the train to Bognor 1st time around and drove it the 2nd time never again * that lol.
    The entertainment is great for younger kids and some of the main shows are amazing and you can easily sneak a bevy in no bother to each of the venues. I decanted a near bottle of buck in to a 500ml coke bottle tank the rest and do the same in 2x500ml lemonade/sprite and sit them on the tables most nights. I priced it up again this year but felt it wasn't far off benidorm prices so plumped for that instead.
    How longs the drive to skegness, I would consider it later in the year

14. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Stag do in Munich in August and going to an industrial music festival in Bradford when I get back from there.

Bit also going to Lanzarote for st paddys day too. 11-18th march.

15. Bonobhoy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zECJXFW8mr4"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=zECJXFW8mr4[/ame]

16. ORIGINALS

Berlin

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  17. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Guys that have done the inter-railing before, how much did it all cost you in total? Like spending money etc...?

18. anto10

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Was a good few years ago now but i ended up spending a lot more than i expected, over €2,500 , not including the ticket itself. Theres a good few hidden extras like the small fees (only a couple of euro a time) to reserve a seat on a lot of trains. Reserving a bunk bed for an overnight trip will be a lot dearer, though technically you save on paying for accomodation that night too. These small reservation fees can add up quite a lot over the month.
    I stayed in a few hotels as well as hostels and B&Bs, again that added to the costs. Likewise eating in restaurants as opposed to cooking my own food. Also spent a few days in a resort in Salou so that cost a good bit too; being on the * there for a weekend was like a normal sun holiday.

Really depends on what you want to spend and where you go e.g. Scandinavia is much dearer than Eastern Europe so would cost you a lot more to spend a long time up there obviously.

As far as i know your inter rail ticket doesnt cover the country in which you bought it so youll have to pay extra to fly to your starting destination; where exactly and how far you travel will add to the cost of your trip too.

You might consider flying to and home from different destinations to avoid having to double back on your route in the final couple of days.

Budget for accomodation of €25-30 a night if hostelling it. Many hostels are as good as hotels; a bit more basic maybe but still offering private en-suite rooms - two people for €50-60 a night. Register for hostelworld and book through there; i've used them many times and not just or interrailing.

Don't get caught short of cash though; make sure you have enough for the month and then budget for a spending a bit extra. Things like museums (which you should do-even if its not normally your thing), or football matches (depending on the month you go) can all add up.

Check out music and cultural festivals that will be on around the time of your travels that you can visit or attend so as to make the most of it.

Don't have an itinerary booked that will account for every night of your trip eitehr; leave a lot of the time free to go somewhere on a whim.

I got a shock in Rome one day with no access to my account; some bank glitch or else i'd gone over my daily limit. Got on the next train out of Italy with my fingers crossed. Arrived in Vienna and my access to my account had mysteriously been restored.
    Tell your bank you're going interrailing btw - if they see your acount being accessed all oer Europe they might get suspicious someone has hacked your account.

All in all interarailing should be one of the best things you ever do.

19. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    Salou wae me the misses and wee man.older boy who's 16 doesn't want to go :)

20. Markos1972

Taking the kids to Legoland Windsor,booked into Premier Inn for a few days,prob go to Chessington too and a wee trip up to London for the day.I have staff travel on the railway which helps us a lot.