1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Born green

You also have to take into account that a lot of those starts were with not playing as a striker. Leigh could end up scoring more goals than Larsson because of how young he is. I.e he has the potential to play in more games. But I'm not going to compare him to the greatest Celtic player in my lifetime. Right now, lets stick to comparing him with the likes of Hooper and McDonald.

Hooper was good outside the penalty box in terms of picking up the ball and linking up play. But in terms of shooting, and crossing, it's not even a contest.

2. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    That is more like what me and Wanyama have been saying, when he is not on the ball provide options, I think Sinclair coming in has helped him in that respect with players constantly around in spaces to support. 2 cracking goals anawl, hope he keeps it up.

Even WGS said the exact same thing, before he would just be standing around waiting, now he is putting in the extra effort to get on the ball, play passes, move into space etc.

3. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Strachan said that he did that a few seasons ago and that over the last two seasons his movement has improved drastically, which it has. It hasn't just clicked for him now, although he is improving all the time.

4. BruceLeeBhoy

When a guy scores 40 goals its difficult not to compare him to the last guy that did it.

Hoopers best tally for us was 31 goals mcdonalds was 31 too. Griff has both beat.

Hooper was good outside the penalty box- at losing the ball mostly. :smiley-laughing002: yeah but he did lose it a LOT.

Mcdonald essentially had 1 good season 1 poor season and half a season of better than averagew in terms of goalscoring.

Nope Griff is above these two and more comparable to the Suttons and Hartsons who also has beaten in the goal scoring terms.

5. Los Palmas 7 something strange happened Gold Member

i also love how griffy how is a true hibby, none of this fake i have always wanted to play for celtic since i could walk * that some have claimed.
    he has fell in love with us too though and given the choice, im sure he will
    always wish to be a celtic player with hibs in his heart and celtic in his heart

6. Los Palmas 7 something strange happened Gold Member

ok just read that back and im not sure what i was meaning :icon_mrgreen:

7. Born green

In terms of goalscoring, yes, only Larsson is better. I just don't want to start comparing Larsson and Griffiths' qualities just yet.

And I agree with you, his all round game has come on that much that he has undoubtedly surpassed Hooper and McDonald. If he gets a few CL group stage goals then there would be no one debating it anymore.

With the amount of chances Hooper was provided, he really should have gotten more than 31. His inability to score a range of goals let him down. He was very reliant on others feeding him. Where as Griffiths can create something for himself. Plus, Hooper very regularly would go through 4-5 game dry spells and not look interested. When was the last time that happened with Griffiths. As i mentioned before, even when he isn't scoring, he's looking to make things happen.

We all know Sutton gave us a lot more than just goals. But i do think we are getting close to putting Griffiths in the same bracket as the top strikers of the last 20 years.

8. BruceLeeBhoy

Sutton was fantastic for us in any position down the spine of the team, he could score goals too, he also played very well at cb for us when needed.

Griff is chasing Henrik hard though, its funny that since he has been here he has taken on some of Henke's attributes like his heading ability- he has developed the same spring that Larsson had- and griff was not known for his aerial prowess prior to pulling on the hoops.

It's like griff has sat down for weeks at a time just watching Larsson videos :smiley-laughing002:

Its not just his goalscoring and overall play with griff but hos whole attitude to the game and improving- he is never satisfied with what he has he wants more, more and then some more, his appetite is insatiable.

I reckon his personal goal target this season will be 50 and I think he is more than capable of getting it. He will be looking at Henrik's 53 with intent- this is not an arrogant thing but more to do with ambition.

Last season he said his target was 30 till he hit it and then obviously he set his new target of 40 which he hit, all of that and in ateam that was pretty hopeless for much of that time.

He might not be in Henriks class on a technical level but in terms of goal scoring well he's not far behind

9. BruceLeeBhoy

Cant we just be happy that we have strikers who can actually score a whole fuckton of goals week in week out?

10. BruceLeeBhoy

Its the whole playing with better players thing.

Griff and roberts were combining well too. Ive noticed Roberts tends to pass to Broony and Griff the most yes theres the positional aspect but also players pass to the most effective/trusted players Roberts rates both.

Siclairs movement has already improved what griff does and what forrest does they are learning so much from him and what BR has been instilling in them.

11. PEI#1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Love the wee man....can do no wrong for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2016
  12. centenary88

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Collins
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I said two seasons ago he needed to knuckle down and add more to his game and now he's even went beyond that. I never thought for a minute he would grow into a leader for us but he is now , he deserves massive credit for striving constantly to improve his attributes.

13. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    :50:

14. 4-4-2

Cheers

15. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    still buzzing this morning .... * it I'm buying a paper.

16. J.p.mac

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broonie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    :smiley-laughing002:
    Don't do it ......you have been warned it will only bring you down.:smiley-laughing002:

17. The Celtic Way

I see he got his wish last night with that stupid song after his goal, he has been going on about it for months, and is doing so again on twitter today, if he keeps scoring what harm can it do.

Like to add on top
    Of his goals last night the running he done in the last few mins closing people down was unreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Dáibhí

And yet I have absolutely no fear that it would take a gargantuan offer from a really top club to tempt him away. I don't see his head being turned by a Norwich, Sunderland or Southampton.

Is this another facet of your zany new gimmick? where you talk about how great Efe is and all that?

I used to have you pegged as a stuffed-shirt, *-fearing type Marky, but these past few weeks have really shown that you can be as much the japester as anyone here!

It's hard to score goals in a Champions League play-off game in front of a packed stadium when you're * about in the English Championship, netting a meagre 13 goals in over 30 odd games.

Hooper is now pushing 30, found his level in the Championship, and didn't get the international caps he craved.

Griffiths scored more goals last season alone than Hooper has managed since he left us three years ago.

Anyone who would honestly trade the Griffiths of today for the Hooper of today has to be soft in the head.

Or a Sheffield Wednesday fan.

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Hooper is only 28. Should still be at his peak.

20. jimbobers Gold Member Gold Member

He has massively improved and will only get better under BR , free-kick last night was world class