1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Markybhoy

Not sure how you reach the conclusion that Hooper wouldn't have scored Griffiths first goal. I would also dispute your assertion that Griffiths is faster. When Hooper first arrived in Scotland he was definitely faster than Griffiths. He did slow a bit during his time here though(I blame Lennon's training methods).

The free kick and the corner I'll give you.

2. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I always have this lingering doubt about Griffiths going into big games that he won't be able to impose himself on the game much.

Never will I doubt him again.

3. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    On that form tonight, Griffiths is a better player than Hooper and the best since at least Sutton. It's another thing to do that consistently; but then frankly, if he can keep that up, he'll be at Southampton this time next year. :54:

4. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Amazing performance from him. Although I'm not surprised. As been said before, the wee man will score at any level if he gets the opportunity. It was two half chances tonight and he buried them. As usual his workrate was phenomenal again as well.

5. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I did in the past as well. Probably guilty of believing that we needed more of a target man type striker who can hold the ball up in Europe, someone like a Samaras. I do still believe that it's important to have that type of player when we play against the top teams away from home, where we are going to have very little of the ball, but it's far from imperative.

6. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I think Dembele could be just that tbh.

7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I came to the conclusion because Griffiths is far better in the air than Hooper. I would disagree with Hooper being faster as well. How many headed goals did Hooper get?

Just have to agree to disagree. A few years back I would never have imagined saying that Leigh was the better of the two but his transformation and growth has been remarkable.

He is the far more dynamic and exciting player to watch, for me.

8. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Hooper wasn't exactly known for his headers.

9. gibsona07

Since the start of last season, Griffiths has 9 goals in 12 games for Celtic in Europe.

10. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I hope so, he has shown snippets of being that type of player.

Another thing is when we play away from home in Europe, players on the wings like Sinclair and Roberts, or even Forrest can do a similar type of job in that they can get us up the pitch through sheer pace, it's really good asset to have away from home because it not only gets you up the pitch and takes pressure off but if we get forward in numbers it could be a very effective way of getting goals and results.

We lacked that in Europe in recent seasons when we were relying heavily on Forrest and our other options were Armstrong, McGregor etc who aren't natural wingers or particularly pacey. I think we'll be a dangerous side in Europe this season, no matter who the opposition is.

11. Keano88

85 starts 71 goals, 22 assists.

No bad stats :34:

12. McManus4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I blame him for being a greedy * who was never out nandos.

13. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Good to see him scoring a freekick, has been steadily hitting the target for ages and been unlucky not to have scored a few.

14. Bumblebee

Those stats are fantastic, what a player we have :icon_mrgreen:

Hope he smashes himself into the 100 club this season.

15. Minimalist

He is some player.

16. Born green

He will. Barring a bad injury. He may even out do last season's 40 goal tally.

Griffiths has, in my eyes, proved he is far better than Hooper. Gary was an opportunistic predator. But he was very limited. I think he was as good as he could ever be at Celtic. However, Griffiths has everything to his game. His link up and hold up play is getting better every game (the only things i would have said he lacked in the past).

His heading is absolute class. Hooper couldn't have scored more than 5-10 headers. Most being from about 2 yards. Hooper also rarely scored long range goals - A speciality of Griffiths. Leigh is also more rapid and tenacious.

Even when Leigh isn't scoring, he's putting in sumptuous deliveries. Another rarity for Hooper. I honestly think Griifiths is becoming the perfect all round striker and has made himself undroppable.

17. BruceLeeBhoy

Incredible.

I am genuinely amazed at the criticism he gets.

Since he has been played through the middle he has done nothing but score goals for us. Even when he wasnt getting such regular games in the first 2 seasons his goal ratio was still 1 in 2.

his european record for just this season is 5 in 5- but he cant cut it in europe?

* it whits the price for him to score 50 this season? thats gotta be worth a punt.

I cant praise him highly enough and WGS must make room for him in the scotland set up

18. BruceLeeBhoy

just 28 to go

19. BruceLeeBhoy

Hooper was and is like kris boyd obviuosly better than him but didnt offer too much outside of the penalty box.

Griff is dangerous from 30 yards or even from the half wway line as we seen with his run for sinclairs goal.

Hooper cant give you half of what griff does.

If Griff stays till he is 30 he will give Henke a run for his money.

Just ran a quick estimate Larsson got 242 goals in 313 games.
    Griff would get based on his stats - 216 goals in around 333 games.

Yeah thats what I'd call a "good" SPL player

20. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Hooper was excellent outside of the penalt area. I was blue in the face repeating that to people trying to tell me he was a poacher.