1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Fans in the World?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Celticbhoy17, Jan 15, 2014.

Discuss Best Fans in the World? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Celticbhoy17

I was reading Johansson's comments today saying that he is looking forward to playing infront of the amazing Celtic fans, who are know throughout the world as the best in the world etc etc.

I kind of cringe when people say this. It's embarrassing that players think that and then they come out for their debut and the stadiums's half empty and there's not even the green brigade now to make a noise. There was a time when I used to think we were the best fans in the world; not anymore...

PS: I'm not blaming celtic supporters for this, Lawwell and loads of other factors have led to people not turning up, but I just think it's * we give off this image of having really great fans but they only turn up on champions league nights.

2. Markybhoy

I used to believe we had the best fans in the world but I now see that we don't. That's not to say our support isn't special though, because it is. We can create an atmosphere to rival any atmosphere in any sporting arena around the world when we are up for it.

3. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    I feel sorry for football fans from around the world who come over to soak up the world famous atmosphere of Celtic Park. It must be a let down.

4. T.Rogne25

The atmosphere in domestic games is horrendous, Champions League games are the only games our fans are good.

5. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

We were up there a few weeks ago but now with the GB banned we are not even close.

6. Soul Rebel

Fav Celtic Player:
    Commons/Sammy/Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony & Toy Town
    Even those this year weren't anything to write home about.

7. CH4 Gold Member Gold Member

Somebody forget to tell him that 75% of the games atmosphere is non existent

8. wulliebad

Yeah lets slate the fans that don't go to games.
    Tough times just now and stuff going on within the club its no wonder numbers have dropped.
    I think most clubs will have a drop in numbers just now.

9. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    We should probably lower the price then and not kick out our most vocal fans.

10. wulliebad

Drop the price and drop the level of players we get in.
    GB broke the rules.

11. Tifosi Celtic

Celtic is no different to many clubs in SPL/English league now. Absolutely non existant atmosphere,I don't half cringe when you see folks from Germany over...expecting to see something magical and they get nothing.

We pay top dollar for a * product. Looking at purely a business, than a football club its not surprise. We are forever told as fans to lower our expectations of what we expect the club to achieve and that we need to downsize. If this isn't reflected in the season ticket prices, then obviously people are not going to renew.

As far as I'm aware, the season ticket prices bar the £100 off this season...has been the same price as the M'ON/Seville...Do this represent value for money?

Over Well, something like 99.9% of 111 are now unbanned. No GB have been arrested over the incident. Over-reaction or simply the club wanting any excuse to get rid of them. Evidence points to any excuse from the club.

12. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    Say we took £100 off the season tickets more people could afford one we could make the money back.

Yet none of their members were arrested for breaking seats at Fir Park which was the reason their section was taken.

13. Seosamh Máirtín

I worry about the effect it will have on our ability to attract new players. The board are * off most Celtic supporters on a regular basis, now, and driving away their support. What will it be like in 10-20 years time? Playing in front of 15-20k every week? Build a new, smaller stadium like Juve had to? Scary to think about.

14. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Nah, never buy the best fans in the world tag.

15. Sween

The whole "best fans in the world stuff" has always been a nonsense in my opinion. Firstly, I don't know most football teams in the world, never mind their supporters, so it is pretty arrogant to declare yourself the best in the world. Secondly, I think the best fans in the world are more likely the guys who travel week in week out to watch a rubbish team in a rubbish stadium with no chance of success. And they do this year in year out without any hope of winning a trophy never mind playing in Europe. Teams that you and I have never heard of nor ever will. These guys are the best fans.

As regards Johansson saying this, I guess it is just a standard thing to say. It is polite and no one would believe him if he told us that Celtic were one of the best teams in the world. It is easier to say our fans are the best. For his sake I hope he doesn't actually believe it otherwise he will be very disappointed!

16. Tifosi Celtic

Find the whole thing rather cringy tbh.

17. JC147

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Lubo, Lambert,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing,
    That idea of the quality of player coming down in correlation with prices isn't true, only if the business plan is run that way. We are continually told thats the way it works to persuade us to part with our cash, but we already vastly overpay for the current 'quality' on show, so ticket prices could drop and actual profit doesn't have to change. (And if it falls marginally who cares, it has became a necessary evil in my opinion.
    This image of rows and rows of empty seats is tarnishing the club's reputation tenfold in comparison to the image of the damage done at Fir Park.)

I would rather go to a stadium of 50-something-K, with a half decent atmosphere to watch a slightly lesser quality of football and enjoy myself and be proud of the support im apart of, as apposed to a scattered 30K watching the current form in what has now became probably one of the worst domestic atmospheres in the UK. I agree with a few others in that this is definitely not blamed on the supporters themselves. All i understand is i want this changed and its really got to be a soon as possible or we reach a point of no return, when ST holders who have stopped going no longer go back - even once the league becomes competitive one day.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2014
  18. Vertie Auld

It's nothing to do with the number of fans showing up. Those who go sit in silence for the most part. I'm actually embarrassed that this guy's going to be sorely let down. I genuinely think it'll turn some players off of Celtic if it's not remedied.

19. Celtic_Jorge

I think at one time Celtic did have the best fans in the world.

I think that this younger generation of Celtic fans is just more fickle than most. Their bad attendance problem can also be blamed on the fact that we aren't as wealthy as the generations before us. Even the previous working class generations were wealthier than we are today. Then there is the rising ticket prices which are reaching astronomical cost.

But I still think our fans are just far more fickle today than they were in the old days.

20. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The negativity, oh my....

There is no doubt on derby games in the past and especially European nights we have one of the best atmospheres in all of football. The comments from the creme de la creme of our sport say as much.

The atmosphere on an average home game isn't great at all even with the Green Brigade in the corner but it's no worse than what you see in most of Europe's major football leagues.