1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

"Our supporters do not want this any more. We are a non-political organisation"

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Dáibhí, Nov 28, 2013.

Discuss "Our supporters do not want this any more. We are a non-political organisation" in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    [​IMG]

2. marks67

The PLC has disowned the oppressed Celtic fans being criminalised its as simple as that.

3. JamieTheScot

If you look back through my posts you would see as I keep on saying my main problem is with some of the displays.

Despite me saying my main problem was some of the displays the majority of the posts seem to have been about the songs and as I said in my original post
    That means I disagree with some of the songs but I acknowledge that it will continue.

4. Tulf

What the * is up with this place now, no such thing as a decent debate, if someone disagrees with an opinion they get * on.

I personally am indifferent towards rebel songs, I have had plenty of discussions on here in the past explaining why, but if we are going to be given fines every season due to them, then what really is the point? there are plenty of other avenues to showcase how you feel about politics.

That is the only problem I have, but some of the comments in this thread are completely ridiculous, as always happens with these proposed discussions. To insinuate that someone is a lesser fan of the club because they are not for politics at the clubs is idiotic. Everyone is allowed an opinion, just because you don't agree with it does not mean you have the right to try and be-little that person.

5. dolfos

Because the IRA are to all intents and purposes now null and void.
    And when has being a Celtic supporter meaning you had to support or give a toss about them?

The world moves on, Ireland, thankfully is moving on from it slowly but surely, why can't certain sections of our support?

6. Dopey63

Hear Hear! When my dad took me to my first game he told me who the team in green and White were ( I knew but iI was just a wean)! He told me to watch the game and not the opposition fans and to sing Celtic songs only. My dad, his dad and his dad's dad were all East End - Bridgeton boys who were Celtic through and through, they knew the Celtic history, the good and the very bad times.

In the bad days, my dad and his brother always went up to the Celtic main gate at The Bells and sprinkled holy water! It took a while for the said water to work its magic but they did it dutifully every year.

Anyway, if he was still alive he would still be saying 'sing Celtic songs.' And that is good enough for me.

Hail Hail

7. Glasgow_Bhoy88

It's unfair to compare Wallace to Sands, Collins would be more apt. I can see why the message would offend nationalists.

Interesting to see if these banners reappear in March/April when Celtic aren't playing the most important game of the season - and when the team need support.

8. marks67

Who said you had to support them?! Our fans are being criminalised for singing about Irish history its the whole REASON of this thread.

What are you talking about :97:

9. Mr. Slippyfist

Does that mean that you disagree with Lawwell then, considering he and (according to the statement) Celtic Football Club are attempting to paint people as lesser fans simply for having an opinion?

10. welshbhoy1976

I think the point here is that lawwell should be the voice for all of us he is our chairman and should be there to back us up through the difficult times fans are facing. There will never be a 100% majority on issues but he is the spokesman of our club and should be there to represent and stand beside the fans against what is fans victimisation. Now I personally thought the banners were very clever and well thought out and tho they were not within Uefa rules and can be costly to the club, had Lawwell addressed the issues the fans are facing much earlier and stood toe to toe with the fans then perhaps there would have been no need to have expressed these grievances on such a big night and there would have been more discussions on our team and not our fans.
    Lawwell is failing on 2 accounts not supporting the fans and not supporting the team yet it is the so called failings of fans which is being projected from the club shame on them.

11. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    I must have missed that.

12. made in ireland

As someone mentioned before, this is the modern day equivalent to George Graham's attempts to have Celtic remove the tricolour from Parkhead in 1952, unfortunately and rather shamefully it is the hierarchy at Celtic who are instigating it this time.

13. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Offend nationalists? How come? This was a nationalist statement in the purest form. Collins or Sands. Is it because Sands is still fresh in relative to history?

14. dolfos

So the thousands of supporters who have no time for this crap should all be punted? Grow up man.

15. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    If players lose motivation because of a banner they must be pretty weak mentally.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2013
  16. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    That's the thing I don't get. I don't get how any of this ties into any modern day politics.

As you said Ireland has moved on. There is a political process in place through which they can achieve anything they want for their country. I would bet the vast majority of Irishmen living in Ireland would be happy to move on from what was a * past, not forget about it, but move on and not have it sung about in Scotland every other week.

I'm not too clued up on it, but these songs/banners would've made more sense at the height of the troubles, when they would indeed send out a political message. Now though, I don't know what anyone expects to accomplish through them.

17. devlin quigley

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    COYBIG. YNWA.
    I agree that the excluded supporters I talk about may be in the minority, but they are still excluded none the less.

Just personal experience of singing rebel songs and seeing the face of a fellow (non political) fan drop does something to me mate.

But that's just my opinion and might just be my way of thinking.

18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    They would have made zero sense during the Troubles, the banners are purely about our fans being criminalised. Nothing more, nothing less.

19. Mr. Slippyfist

But that in no way sounds like exclusion to me mate. There's absolutely nothing stopping people from singing songs they want......absolutely nothing (irish ones aside).

20. Vertie Auld

I'm Scottish. I'm Republican because I have a conscience. I'm not Palestinian. I still involve myself in the Palestinian cause. If you're blind to injustices because they occur in another country, you're a moron (I'm using "you" in the sense of "one" there before I'm accused of insulting someone).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.