1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

"Our supporters do not want this any more. We are a non-political organisation"

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Dáibhí, Nov 28, 2013.

Discuss "Our supporters do not want this any more. We are a non-political organisation" in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marks67

Can't you see that this organisation is banning civil rights? and you are more worried participation in their competition?!

2. JamieTheScot

To an extent, I don't think some songs are appropriate at football matches as you have to consider the fact that they will offend some people and that imo it's stupid singing about groups like the IRA at football matches. You are there to watch and support your football team, singing about the IRA, British army, etc isn't going to motivate your team to winning the match.

However I also don't like the easily offended brigade, I might have came across as part of that group with some of my posts here however I am not offended by stuff about the IRA. I just don't want to be affiliated with it and it goes back to what I said about songs like the ones banned aren't going to motivate your team to go and win a match.

Imo the main problem is not that the songs are banned, it's the way in which the acts are being enforced. They are being used as an excuse to treat football fans like scum which is the main reason I am largely against it.

3. pod

Imo if someone took this to the European courts, they would be successful. Also with the bill that was passed in Scotland. Granted I'm not a legal eagle but there seems to be some fundamental flaws in these directives.

4. H67

Fav Celtic Player:
    All Who Wear The Hoops.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    The brit * that run our club want to kill off our history i for one will not stand for it and as for the PLC supporters shame on you.....

5. Biggie Smalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kris commons
    I disagreed with what the green brigade did previously when it came to bangers and such but I have to support them here. I may not agree with everything they say but they shouldn't be robbed of the right to say it.

6. Samaras13

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    LTPS
    :50:

7. H67

Fav Celtic Player:
    All Who Wear The Hoops.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    it was not conected to the GB

8. Celtic_Jorge

Of course we have had Irish Republicans in our history. But when Brother Walfrid created the club, from all of my research, he did not create it to be an Irish republican organisation. Furthermore, you're kidding yourself if you don't think that there is a connection between Irish Catholics and Republicanism. Sure there have been * Republicans down through history but the overwhelming MAJORITY of republicans have ALWAYS been Catholics and it comes right down to how they were treated by the British Empire. Thats far from my point though. And on free speech - thats a tricky one there. You don't have that right enshrined in any kind of formal law or Constitution. You have that right under "common law", so its really up to the courts on how its going to be enforced. Obviously, if you had truly free speech in the UK, having political banners at football games wouldn't even be an issue. I am a whole-hearted supporter of free speech and personal liberties.

9. Samaras13

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    LTPS
    66%??? That's shocking..

10. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    I think Lawwell the business man is always working when it comes to Celtic and making the club successful (in his view). So Lawwell the "man" is not going to make any decisions.
    Look what happened when he (the man) made that joke (truth) about the dead.

11. H67

Fav Celtic Player:
    All Who Wear The Hoops.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    European Court
    Human Rights Act 1998

12. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

You are missing the point. The guy was saying we are praising him one day and vilifying him the next.

It's possible to think one thing is a good deed and the other is not.

It's not flip flopping, it's taking each case on it's merits.

13. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    There shouldn't be one rule for them and one rule for us.

14. ArmchairGeorge Gold Member Gold Member

i have no problem with the ira - i have a problem with walking down the street with a celtic top and being stabbed to death for being a catholic ira supporting irishman.
    when im an athiest from glasgow who doesnt support the army or any kind of army.

i dont understand why people from glasgow with no connection to ireland sing ira songs though, searching back in there family tree to find a great great great irish uncle to justify singing the black and tans

thats my opinion

15. marks67

See in all, your posts I get are steeped in complete hypocrisy to suggest its okay for a Scottish Rebel song to be sung and the Irish national anthem which is dedicated to Irish volunteers/later became IRA.

The thing about motivating is complete and utter nonsense, we sing the celtic symphony which original lyrics is 'oh ah up the ra' at games which motivate players, fans sing 'oh ah samaras' in replacement fair enough to them I like it also and sometimes sing the different lyric depending on mood.

I will say one thing tho, I don't want to be affiliated with these civil rights removing fascist corporate scumbags at our club and claim to speak on behalf of all the millions of fans for their own corporate financial gain, * every single one of them including UEFA.

16. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Read my post's and you will see what "side" of the fence I am on.
    As far as I was aware, I never said "I" was worried one way or the other did I ?!
    LOOKED LIKE A QUESTION TO ME. :31:

17. george kelly

do you not know your history son. no * way freedom independence that's what the banners were:52:

18. Celtic_Jorge

Thats not UK law. Furthermore, you DO NOT have full freedom of speech under European Union law. According to the European Court, holocaust deniers are to be put in prison. Is that not infringing on their right to freedom of speech? Like I said, freedom of speech - true freedom of speech - HAS to be true for everyone, regardless of what that is.

19. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

:smiley-laughing002:

So you are saying that it's Celtic supporters own fault that they get murdered, if only the * * would shut up and know their place eh?

20. george kelly

to * right mate great post

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.