1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Which year/era did you start supporting Celtic?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by goodybhoy, Nov 18, 2013.

Discuss Which year/era did you start supporting Celtic? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ThisIsGhod

Started following Celtic in 02' but the first game I attended was in 06'.

2. anto10

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I would say 1993-95 was the "era". I got my first Celtic jersey in 1993 when i was 10; it was the Ford Peoples shirt but without the sponsor. (Also got an O'Neill's Celtic tracksuit at the same time - they oddly made gear for a lot of teams of which they were not the kit sponsor).
    Remember my uncle quizzing me a week or two later on my Celtic knowledge (which was pretty much non-existent) in my granny's house about what flag flies above Parkhead. I didn't know!
    My first game was in July 1994 - a friendly against Flamengo in Tolka Park. Crowd was about 4,000; ground would have been less than half-full. I remember seeing "Petrobras" printed on the back of a Flamengo player's shirt so asssuemd taht was his name. Then i saw the same thing on the back of another player's jersey although this fella was black. I was confused as to how they could be brothers even though one was caucasian and the other black :smiley-laughing002:
    It would have been about a year later when i started to get into Celtic in a much bigger way; going round to my firend's house to watch games on sky on a regular basis.
    First trip to Celtic Park was December 1997 for a game against Hibernian. Sat in the upper Lisbon Lions while the Jock Stein was still incomplete - there was just a temporary structure in it's place. Still have the programme from that game as well as check green & white flag i bought on the walk up to CP before kick off.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2013
    Paul Kennedy likes this.
  3. pablo88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Conscientiously followed them from 5/6 1986 for me

4. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    My earliest memory is us wining the cup in 1985, McGarvey diving header, I would have been 6 years old then.

Started following Celtic religiously from then.

I can remember the miracle of the final day league win in 1986 (look it up kids!), tears on losing the 1986 League Cup final to the huns and the joy of the centenary season (1987-88) like yesterday.

Good times! :50:

5. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    1978 season. Was 4 years old. Think it was against Dundee. Was before supporters buses from Belfast. Remember travelling for around 5 or 6 years before buses. Changing trains at Ayr.

6. emmetf

I've always had Celtic merchandise kinda just around since I was a kid. Wasn't until Strachan's nose-dive during his last season here I figured out how to watch streams.

I'm only 20 mind, but I remember playing as Celtic in Fifa 2001 :p

7. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Around 97/98 when I was 6 or 7. My first memories for some reason are of two players. Stephane Mahe and Enrico Annoni :)

8. goodybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

Big Enrico Annoni and Steph mage! Mind annoni wearing 2 different pairs of boots. Great defenders from what I remember.

9. Free_Palestine

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Hartson/Dylan mcgeogh
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    St paddys day 89
    good wee * baby

10. KD67

When I started school in 1967. I think you can possibly guess why !!!

11. Murph-E

Born (1993) into a Celtic-supporting family. Always knew names and recognised faces in my early childhood, like Jorge Cadete, Paolo diCanio, Jackie McNamara and that, but didn't develop a proper interest in football until the start of the millennium (after getting FIFA 2000 for the Playstation). Luckily I didn't realise at the time how badly we were doing, as I didn't fully understand things. Followed Euro 2000 closely and began to properly understand football- great timing, as the season that followed was amazing for us. The 6-2 game was the first Celtic-huns game I ever watched from start-to-finish, great way to start- but still didn't grasp the importance and epicness of it. All started falling into place after that match.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    mayo likes this.
  12. Derrybhoy1

I've always just thought I've supported Celtic for as long as I've lived :smiley-laughing002:. A fella above said he remembers being Celtic in FIFA 01, I remember playing with them on the N64 in FIFA 98 where you could play indoor and *.

I'm only coming 21 too so I would have been playing that game when I was 5/6/7 (depending on when I actually got it) and I was already a wee fan :icon_mrgreen:.

13. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

85 probably. I had been to plenty of games before that but that's when I started to understand what it was all about to be a Celtic supporter.

14. Celtic abu

My earliest memories were as a 6 year old from 2000 so would probably say that. All my earliest memories are Henrik basically

15. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

WOW, heavy in favour of pre 83!

some amount of old codgers on this site. :fear:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2013
    Hope N Ur Heart likes this.
  16. chiefo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik and McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    September 1983 i guess. First game at Paradise against some team called rangers, from 1 down won 2.1. An experience I will never forgot to my dying day.

13 at the time, went up from London on school exchange trip with Holyrood, ( stayed in Pollokshields ) and they came down to us that October. We took em to see Arsenal v Coventry, Charlie Nicholas first season for them if I remember correctly, and what a bore of a * game. Felt sorry for their lads considering what I witnessed / felt.

17. Seosamh Máirtín

Shame they don't spend more time on the actual site, posting, and y'know...providing a level bit of clarity amongst the kiddies.

18. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

A lot of pre 1983's, big surprise! Can you lot remember back that far? :fear::icon_mrgreen:

19. Jhoker

Supported since birth:50:

20. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    My first memories of following Celtic go back to the 1980 season and in particular that famous Cup Final against the now defunct huns which we ended up winning in extra time when George McCluskey deflected Danny McGrain's shot in.