1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Metrobhoy, Nov 12, 2013.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Lenny didn't sign sammy, think he is listing players signed by lennon.

2. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I would like to see Lennon do more to get u20/development players to viable options for the 1st team. More should be sent out on loan rather than wasting their time learning next to nothing in the u20/development squads. Bridging that gap should be a priority at the club

3. LoveTheTic88

Lennon won't burst the bank for a Celtic superstar

Neil Lennon has told the Celtic support the club won't break the bank and risk their long-term financial security to sign a marquee name.

The Hoops' elimination in last place of the Champions League Group H was blamed by many for the Parkhead club's refusal to source adequate replacements for summer departures Gary Hooper and Victor Wanyama.

But with Lennon in the market for a January striker, the Bhoys boss has dismissed suggestions he could swoop for Sunderland and Scotland international Steven Fletcher to boost his forward line.

Lenny also defended the club's trading record in last summer's signing market.

Lennon said: "It's not a marquee signing I'm looking for, it's a player or players that will bring us on and make us better. Look, we have resources now.

"We are in probably as strong a position as we've been in a long, long time, so it's important that we spend the money that's available and get the right quality in.

"Ideally you'd like to do that but clubs want to hold on to players and as much money as they can get.

"We're no different from any other club. I had a meeting this morning with Peter Lawwell and we worked away at the business we want to do, as best we can."

"People might laugh at this, but I think the squad is thin and I want to add to it in certain areas.

"There is no question that there will be players leaving and there will be players coming in.

"We are trading as well. I don't need to sell to do that but ideally you don't want to clog it up either.

"The market is difficult but I would say that we've got two thirds of it right. We sold a lot of players in the summer and we will sell again eventually.

"We have huge assets in the team - again we haven't had that for quite a while - but at the same time we still want to add to that and what I want is real, genuine quality.

"And if we have to spend a bit of money, which I think we have, then we'll spend it if we can get the right player in."

Lenny continued: "You have to have a list of targets, because eventually you will come to a point when if your first choice isn't coming, then you look at the next one."

But the Hoops gaffer poured scorn on a reported swoops for Black Cats strike ace Fletcher.

Lennon said: "I don't know where the story has come from. Again, I can't talk about players who are under contract at other clubs and I'm not going to talk publicly about players at other clubs.

"He's obviously a fine player but he cost Sunderland £11million and I don't have that type of money, believe me."

When it came to the possible exit of Georgios Samaras and Joe Ledley, Lennon said: "Nothing has changed."

4. LoveTheTic88

Celtic will spend big this transfer window

Celtic manager Neil Lennon is confident the club could bankroll a £6million signing.
    When it came to the possible exit of Georgios Samaras and Joe Ledley, Lennon said: "Nothing has changed."

The Hoops manager is determined to bring in quality in this month’s transfer window to give his squad a major boost for the second half of the campaign.

A striker is his priority but Lennon is keen to bolster his defence and midfield ahead of next season’s Champions League qualifiers.

And following back-to-back campaigns in the group stages of Europe’s premier club competition, Lennon reckons a £6m signing is a possibility.

Asked how many targets he has, Lennon replied: "Looking at it today, about 12."

"You know you are not going to get everything that you want straight away, so you have to create options."

"We need a striker. We’ll endeavour to bring two or three in but with strikers it is always difficult because of the money and affordability. That might take a bit of time but that’s what we are trying to do."

"It’s difficult to keep hunting in the £1m market for players who are going to make you better and compete in the Champions League. Every now and again it’s good to bring in quality, the players need to see it as well and it gives them a jag and a bit of motivation."

"We can do it financially, but getting the deal done is another thing. We might not have been in a position to do it in the summer, but with another Champions League campaign behind us now and the money we have brought in we can afford it."

"Whether it be a Premier League player from England or somebody from abroad, we need to talk about it, but it’s getting to the table first that’s the important thing."

Asked if the right player became available at £6m would the club back him, Lennon replied: “Yes, but if you are going to spend £5-6m you have to be 100 per cent sure the guy is going to come in and score goals and make you better."

"If he does that, then people will come and watch, but we do need a bit of quality at the top end because in two-thirds of the pitch we are very good. At the minute we just need someone to put the ball in the net."

5. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Easy to blow £6-8m + £25-30k p/w on a player that wouldnt improve the team. I think the club are chasing a white elephant on this on because if he's good enough for us, can cut his teeth at SPL & UCL level for that money, you can be guaranteed that other clubs in better leagues, can outbid us on wages and fees will know and be interested in these players.

Obviously a few exceptions but by the numbers we are more likely to waste money. Look at Pukki, Tiesto, Bangura, Marc-Antoine Fortune & Balde etc, alot of money spent for us and * all return. Its very hard to get the player that will fit right in.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2014
  6. Mr. Slippyfist

Ano mate, was just throwin it in seeing as he was talking about the "old bhoys" in the squad :50:

7. thebhoykyle

No you don't. Just like you don't know what Ledley's wage is but claim to know that as well

8. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

This sounds petty but his team selections are doing my nut right in!

9. Dáibhí

I must be one of the few people who don't think we need to sign anyone in the January window.

Sure, if the right player was available at the right price then fair enough, but I'd be more concerned with looking at guys we can sign on pre-contracts and bring in when the season ends.

10. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    I'm wanting a playmaker (take the weight of responsibility off Commons, and provide cover) and a goalscorer bedded in for the rest of the season before the CL qualifiers, to give us the best chance of avoiding a slip up.....that's my main reason for getting guys in now.

Pukki's quotes re time to settle / arriving at end of the window are well noted for me anyway; guys are not guaranteed to hit the ground running, especially in Scotland - so to fill these 2 crucial slots in the squad now is important to me.....will benefit us hugely in the long-term IMO.

11. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Personally (forums is about opinions) i want him sacked, and i think its best for the club to get rid of him ASAP. Cred to him for building a decent squad, but he is tactically clueless, and pick teams that makes you shake your head. But the worst part is that he have no faith in the youths, and they will never develop as long as this man is in charge, and that is a disaster.

12. Dáibhí

The problem of course, is the quality of player who is available in January. You rarely see a top talent moving during this window, unless it's for obscene money.

Our best business will be done in the summer.

Are you still pished?

13. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    I know that the truth hurts. You are such a fantastic debater as usual Daibhi :56:

14. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I'm a bit frustrated with his team selections at the minute but to sack him while we are 11 points clear and unbeaten in the league would be a quite incredible decision.

15. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I'm probably one of the only ones that would be happy to risk losing the unbeaten record for giving some fringe players and youth players a chance to get game time and get better.

16. Dáibhí

This isn't a debate, this is nonsense. You don't sack a manager who is 11 points clear and undefeated in the league campaign.

17. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Ah but murderwell are coming :52:
    I think he wants another go at CL and get at least 3rd.
    He obviously has faults but are they really that bad that he should be punted ffs.

18. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I wouldnt like to be in the trenches with you. Stab your own in the back.

19. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Yeah that is some great logic right there Mr Daibhi.

As long as you are top of the league, it doesnt matter how bad you perform in the CL, with comments in media, development of our strikeforce etc :50:

20. thebhoykyle

So because building a philosophy through the whole club takes a long time we shouldn't be doing it?

We have no challenge domestically. This is the perfect time to start building something but no. He's made us a laughing stock and an embarrassment to watch and we will never build anything meaningful as long as this egomaniacs here.

Can't wait until the day he's gone.