1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Sir David Attenborough: sending food aid to countries enduring famine is “barmy”

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Dáibhí, Sep 19, 2013.

Discuss Sir David Attenborough: sending food aid to countries enduring famine is “barmy” in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Vertie Auld

I can see your point but it's just self-preservation. Without a safety net from the state, their children are the only ones to provide for them in ill health and old age. If they don't have children, they die.

2. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt

If they want help they should have to bend their knee before the great white man and agree to be colinised again. They should also apologise for thinking they could get along without the great white man.

As their punishment we could bring back slavery and pillage any resources left in the dark continent. This time we should make sure there is no resources left before leaving.

3. Vertie Auld

Morally, we are. Those of us with a conscience, anyway.

You've completely embarrassed yourself. Take a hike.

4. Dáibhí

He is correct though, isn't he? We can help, and many of us do via charities and suchlike, but an obligation is a requirement. We aren't required to do anything.

5. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I would like to think so but I am not sure.

6. Dáibhí

He's using a technicality to get a rise out of people, isn't he?

7. Mr. Slippyfist

It would be nice to see if you're still on the same train of thought should you ever require an organ transplant or something like that...........

8. Vertie Auld

As I said, morally obligated (in my opinion). I'm not suggesting people be forced, by taxation or such like, to provide aid.

9. 31B404 Gold Member Gold Member

But what do you expect them to do?

It's sad all round.

10. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt

I think not. He is a big fan of the empire and is maybe a little sore about its demise.

11. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    maybe I should word things differently knowing the tendencies of people on here.

That's not exactly comparable is it? Even then they are not obliged to do anything

12. Dáibhí

Yeah, I know what you mean though. It's nice if people wish to give money or help to charity, but we aren't obliged to do so.

13. Vertie Auld

OBLIGED. MORALLY. How can you not get your * head around that? It's a very, very simple concept. I'm not saying it should be compulsory to donate to charity.

14. Seán_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    "They all wanted independence and they got it. Deal with your * yourselves"

Aye, spot * on so he is.

First part is obviously a technicality, but in all honesty who gives a flying * if that's the case. It's an incorrect and deliberately inflammatory comment, which is why I said it's surely fishing. Which it was, undoubtedly so.

Fs this forum gets more and more annoying by the day. Hate being addicted to clicking the icon :smiley-laughing002:

15. Dáibhí

Yeah, I don't agree with that either. I don't feel morally obliged to do anything to rectify the actions of Governments or multinational companies.

16. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt

What of the ones who took partial independence? The ones in your commonwealth

17. scootz

History tells us that the areas we typically refer to in these discussions were barren long before the industrial age.

I'll say it again - human life was never meant to flourish in these areas. Furthermore, the sticking-plaster medical and financial 'aid' from developed countries has only made the situation worse.

Attenborough is absolutely right.

18. OC

But the cycle repeats itself, those who survive in those conditions do the same thing all over again when their parents die. They have very little or no education, little knowledge of things outside their own community which makes potential transition from current lifestyle and surrounding to another place (city most of the time) almost impossible. It just seems better to barely make a living in familiar place than take a risk and look for better future.

No matter how it's called, it's disgusting. They conciously make their children's position difficult from day one, which later becomes a generational problem.

19. Mr. Slippyfist

Of course it's comparible - hence why I made the comparison.

Many people in Africa need food, clean water and vaccinations from other to survive - well, to save their lives actually.

If you needed a new kidney (example) to survive, you would need for it to be given to you.

Simples yes?

20. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    You didn't make that point in the post I was originally referring to.

You say morally obliged but how much does 'the £2 a month for clean water' really achieve?

These countries need a proper infrastructure and government and they need to achieve that themselves, they don't want our input anyway after all do they?