1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Victor Wanyama as big a loss as some people make out?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Shane1888, Sep 1, 2013.

Discuss Is Victor Wanyama as big a loss as some people make out? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I'd take him back on loan if he starts playing *....

2. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

IF one of these two things happen:

1. Kayal can get back to his old ways.

2. Biton turns out to be a quality player.

Then we wouldn't miss Vic that much. But as it is, I think we miss him.

3. OC

He's a great loss for sure, in his first season in CL he played like there are 10 years of experience behind him at that level. Scored very important goals and kept things tight at the back.

Really don't think Kayal can be his replacement, it would take a miracle for him to be back to his form when he first arrived. And Biton is not that type of midfielder anyway, so yes, I'd say he'll be missed big time.

4. combene

Hooper is a bigger loss IMO because we don't have anyone else who can even pretend to fulfill his role as a goal scoring poacher up front. At least to fill in for Wanyama we have some pretenders with the potential, on their day, to be serviceable in the area where Wanyama once prowled. Far more worrying for me is the fact that we don't have a clinical striker that does the most important job on the pitch, scores goals

5. ronan1888

Ambrose should certainly be considered. Ambrose + Mulgrew for the moment, but I can see Van Dijk taking Mulgrews place very soon.

6. Sween

I think Wanyama is the one player we have had in recent years who has the potential to be genuinely world class. I really think he could be playing in the Man Utd, Arsenal, or Liverpool midfield right now and he is still young. I think in Scotland we get away with losing a defensive midfielder as we are so rarely under threat but in Europe against top teams I think he will be a huge miss.

Having said that, losing Wanyama on his own wouldnt have been all that bad. I think losing Hooper and Wilson at the same time has made it a lot worse.