1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Nir Bitton

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by ILoveTheCeltic, Aug 28, 2013.

Discuss Nir Bitton in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. DutchHoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    I have, which is that he is a Celtic player and that's really all that matters.

2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Really? You'd forgive a player for anything, as long as he was a Celtic player?

3. DutchHoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Just because he sent a prayer or support or whatever to his family, friends and former brothers in arms doesn't mean he supports the killing of innocent people. Just because he was a member of the IDF doesn't mean he committed genocide either - for all we know he could've been shooting down the dozens missiles Hamas fires at Israel daily from schools and flats. Targeting Bitton for this is all way too easy and cheap.

(Don't get me wrong I don't support Israel or Palestine - both are wrong)

4. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    No harm in Nir Bitton. He's not the first man to be taken in by propaganda and he wont be the last. His comments were in poor taste but he was in the Israeli army himself at one stage and he posted those comments from his own genuine (but misguided) point of view.

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Excusing the actions and supporting the IDF is supporting a genocide.

I like Nir Bitton, I like him as a footballer and I like the way he talks as a person. However there's things that can't be excused and supporting those atrocities is one of them.

You don't get a free pass on that because you're a Celtic player.

6. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    What if Di Canio was still here?

7. DutchHoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Oh well, let's agree to disagree then shall we? As this is going nowhere.

I won't dislike you because of some nutters fighting a war miles away. :p

8. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    I agree with everything you have said but I dont think it's as simple as that. The fact that he was in the IDF at one point and the fact that only hasidic Jews are excused from service means that he would have known people involved. Also he has been bombarded with propaganda from birth. His crime is more to do with being misinformed rather than with sick intentions.

9. murphy88

He is old enough to educate himself now though.

10. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    That was pre the internet and no * knew his views.

Anyway Bitton has committed no crime he has shown support for his countrymen , whether we agree with him or not is irrelevant, in the same way McClean has shown his support by not wearing a poppy.

Anyway, back on topic , am well chuffed he has signed this deal Griff next ..

11. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    I sincerely hope he doesnt and im not being pedantic either. A happy player is a good player. He's time enough to be acquiring wisdom. He's a young footballer and he should be out banging women not reading about genocide. Id also rather he used the time to watch top teams with top players on TV, work on his game. That sort of thing. If he wants to sit and read id rather him reading the tactics book from your man Wilson at the guardian. I dont even know why we're debating this * again at any rate. He can become a top player end of.

12. PaddyJamieson

This is an important point. While never excusing his views, it is also necessary to be sympathetic to him being born into and growing up in such an environment. I personally will never let Bitton off for the things he has said, but similarly to paint him as a villain without first considering the environment that nurtured him would be naive. Though I'm not suggesting that anyone has done that so far (too lazy to read every comment).

EDIT: I find it's more constructive to aim our hatred and action at the system and nation rather than certain individuals who have fallen for its propaganda. Again, this is a more general point than one aimed at those who have bashed Nir (which I too have done on many an occasion for his views, so I'm hardly exempt).

13. murphy88

Stuart Armstrong has enough time on his hands to study for a law degree, so I'm sure Bitton could find some time to educate himself on the situation no? Nobody is disputing he can become a top player. I'm happy he has signed a new deal, as I feel he is a very important player for us. Still doesn't excuse him supporting genocide though.

14. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    You are right no it doesnt but you have to have empathy for the player. Its personal to him and ideological to us.

As I said I dont know why this is being discussed again. We just signed a top player for another 4 seasons not including this one. This is the best news at the club in years.

15. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    McClean not supporting an army is completely different to Bitton supporting one I've never said Bitton has committed any crime or said he should be forced out of the club or isn't even allowed have an opinion

Would of being interesting to see the supports take on Di Canio if he played nowadays though

16. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Not as simple as that though, the amount of history over there and * that happens. None of us grew up in it, we have no right to pass judgement on his beliefs and who he supports. Still he might of changed his view on it now, how do you know he hasn't?

17. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    There is no difference, both are expressing their opinion and are entitled to do so. I wasn't directing the 'no crime' comment at you, or anyone, it was just a phrase I used :50:

18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    There's a difference in morality I believe. Unless you believe supporting Zionism is the equivelant of not supporting the British Army?

19. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I don't see any huge problem with Bitton expressing his support for the IDF. I wholeheartedly disagree with him, but he has been brought up around that propaganda his whole life.

Question: would people who are holding this against Bitton have the same view if we signed (for example) Clint Dempsey and he expressed his support for the American army?

Many people have a twisted view of their own country's military. Propaganda is not just for children and it's not something that people get "old enough to know better" about a lot of the time.

20. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    For the question yes the American army are responsible for a lot more death and suffering then the IDF