1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic v Liverpool who is the bigger club

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by tim_molloy, Aug 1, 2013.

Discuss Celtic v Liverpool who is the bigger club in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. scootz

Liverpool probably have a more obvious global presence than us. They have greater buying power than we do. They've won more elite trophies than us. Their team would probably spank ours 8 times out of 10 just now.

We have a bigger stadium than theirs. We've won more trophies than they have. Our shirt is better. Our supporters are better looking. We sing YNWA louder AND in tune!

To be honest, Liverpool are probably the bigger team. I'd still rather support Celtic though! :50:

I think though that the question really should be: Is Sevco bigger than Celtic and Liverpool COMBINED? They Zombies are, after all, 'ra people'... and that apparently trumps EVERYTHING (despite no-one actually knowing what the * it means). :smiley-laughing002:

2. Seymour Skinner

That really bugs me when you watch a liverpool game on the tele and they sing YNWA about 3 times faster than they should! drives me nuts:31:

3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Don't know how you can possibly claim that we sing ynwa in tune. Lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

4. Millerntor

Seen this said a few times, just to pick up on it - the Green Brigade are not plc's to disband. They could shut down the section, and there's probably a good chance of that happening, but that won't disband or be the end of the Green Brigade.

5. Sween

Celtic prices out the local poor community with high ticket prices. They promote alcohol on their strips in a part of the world that is rife with alcohol related problems. Their stadium has a massive American corporate logo splashed over the stands because that way we make more money. And we punt credit cards. In what way do you think Celtic care about the crumbling local community any more than clubs in England?

I am sure there are many local lower league clubs that exist to provide a service to the community, who let people in as cheaply as posisble, let kids in for free, open their doors to community programmes, etc. But Celtic are not one of those. We have a big stadium and a big fan base precisely because we market ourselves as a global brand PLC - the exact same as EPL do as well.

:smiley-laughing002:

6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I agree with everything you've said, but Celtic do still carry out charity work within the community. In the last edition of the Celtic View, I read about a scheme they have come up with for elderly people to remain socially active and Celtic are hosts. It may not be the most involved club in the community, but it's better than nothing.

7. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

So true.Tbh I'm feeling pretty disillusioned as a supporter of the club,all things considered.

8. TimFloyd Gold Member

Very well said the bold Sween :50:

9. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    We definetley are far better at singing YNWA. The Fields of anfiled road or whatever it is doesn't make any sense. Its pish and they cant sing that properly either. A guy at work said that we copied Fields of Athenrye off them. I see so Liverpool already had that song before the Potato Famine in the 1840's aye? shut up ya *.
    As for YNWA everyone sang that when it first came out in the 60's. Liverpool wrote it on the gates of their shitehole stadium and then decided it was their song. You cant really say we stole their song anymore than they stole it from Gerry and he's Pacemaker.

10. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    More or less every EPL club does as well, it's pretty much obligatory for a club to have a community program nowadays.

11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    That can only be a good thing then. :)

12. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    They can split them up, though. :54: Refuse to sell them tickets in the same section.
    I agree, they're not the PLC's to disband, and I honestly believe the majority of the support would stick up for them if it came to it. But if we were in the EPL, I believe the PLC would be able to do whatever they wanted. Most of their money would be from TV and demand would be such that the stadium would surely sell out every week, no matter how many people they * off.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2013
  13. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I was slagging other teams for fake fans etc the other day.

At the days game I walked past a group of about 20 canadians(they had red jackets with canada and scotland flags on them) were guys, women and people of all different ages, then 2 seconds later a squad of about 20 american boys. Went in and couple of rows in front theres was 6/7/8 swiss people(I guess swiss as one of the women had an FC Lugano hat on and they were definetly foreign) .

14. OC

How do you define fake fans?

15. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you type "Asian Chelsea/Liverpool/Man Utd/Arsenal/Man City fans" into google funnily enough theres loads of pictures of asian fans of those teams. Write in "Asian West Brom, Fulham, Sunderland, Newcastle even Tottenham fans in....

[​IMG]

But if a billionaire happened to take over one of those teams. Then you googled "asian Newbillionairesclub" youd soon see all their new fans.

16. OC

So Asians then? I assume Africans are plastics as well, Aussies, Americans and basically all those who live far away from stadium of the club they support and once they get the chance to see their team in flesh they get ridiculed.

There are numerous supporters' clubs around the world, something which requires time and effort to set up, obviously they don't lack passion either since they care enough to go through the procedure. And that's just the formal part of the support, there are many, many more people who support the club outside the official pubs, they buy merchandise, watch their team even though many of them are in different time zones and waking up (or staying up) late suggests they care for the club. And I don't mean just Chelsea, Arsenal, United, Barca, Real Madrid etc. but Everton, Newcastle and such clubs all have official supporter groups worldwide.

They're not mindless zombies who are there to be fleeced by extortionate prices set by clubs to maximise their profits (which, by the way, happens in England, Scotland, Ireland and whole Europe, but somehow that's different) and should not be viewed as such. Not many can afford official shirts and scarves, so they go to flea market or wherever to get a cheap copy, that to me also suggests they care enough. They might never set their foot in Anfield, Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge or most likely won't go to Country's 11 vs their club match as they can't afford ticket and/or travel, but I don't think they are inferior to those who live in country where their club is from, at least not in the sense of passion. They don't contribute in season ticket sales, pies and what not which I think doesn't give them right to moan at attendances and similar stuff, but since they're * by geography it doesn't mean they are in any way fake.

17. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I think they're fake as they have picked the best teams. If you live that far away what makes them choose Man Utd over West Brom or Liverpool over Fulham or Chelsea over Sunderland.

How many African, Asian and American Man City fans were there in 2005?

Go on twitter and type in I support Real Madrid and Man Utd or Barcelona and Chelsea or Barcelona, Bayern and Juventus. And look at the amount of people who say they support multiple world class teams. There LOADS and basically none of them are from anywhere near these teams, they mostly all asians, arabs and africans.

18. OC

All true, but you only seem to notice that with Asians, Africans and Americans. Aren't there a lot of people with that mentality a bit closer to home?

Wee Jimmy fae Bellshill who supports Celtic without prior family connection to the club is a fake fan as well? Why doesn't he just chose Hamilton or Motherwell because they are closer? Probably because Celtic get far more media coverage, more fans, win more trophies and play at much higher level.

Same way with Asians and others, there are far more of those who stick with the team they chose once they started watching foreign football than those who switch to another team every year. They just don't stick out more.

19. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Maybe im not sure about that, in Scotland everyone near enough is passed on from parents what team they support. Very few people pick a team, I dont even know how you can pick a team. Ive been watching NBA basketball for a few years now and I like it but I couldnt pick a team to support, I wouldnt even know where to begin to pick a team to support, just seems impossible, would be too fake.

20. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Most of these Asian fans are just gloryhunters. I used to talk to a guy from Indonesia on an Inter page on facebook a while ago, he's barely posted about Inter since Mourinho left and his profile is all Barcelona stuff now :rolleyes: