1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Anthony Stokes

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by LoveTheTic88, Jul 23, 2013.

Discuss Anthony Stokes in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
  2. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Sorry Doc, that last post just showed you up.

How is Ronny ducking the question? Nobody else believes that is happening therefore none have asked the question, meaning Ronny can't duck it.

You had a good run but you're done now.

Good going though.

3. murphy88

I'm laughing at you, and you're ridiculous suggestion that the Celtic fans deserve an explanation from Deila as to why Stokes isn't getting played. Ducking it :smiley-laughing002:

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Aye ok

5. doctor venglos

Of course Deila is ducking the question, and additionally he is lying to the Celtic support by saying Stokes is not good enough, nobody is buying that and it is laughable. :52:

Let me fix that for you Daleer.
    You mean nobody else has the balls to ask Deila for the real reason as to why Stokes is excluded from the team. In the absence of anybody else coming forward, I'll ask then :50:

And Sean if I need you to write my epitaph, I'll ask you for it , OK ? :bbpd:

6. Markybhoy

I think the explanation for Stokes' absence is pretty obvious. Ronny Deila feels he has better players than Stokes available to him in the attacking areas. I think he's right.

Stokes is finished at Celtic as far as I'm concerned. The form Leigh Griffiths has shown over the past few months has pretty much seen to that. Griffiths can play on his own up front in Ronny's system and score regularly. Stokes has never shown the ability to do that. He's only ever been any good as part of a front two and Ronny just doesn't play with two up front. Playing Stokes as one of the supporting three is putting a square peg in a round hole in my opinion.

I don't dislike Stokes and he's scored and set up some vital goals for Celtic in his time here. I'll always be grateful for those. He's just not needed anymore. We need a striker who is better than Stokes, Griffiths or Ciftci. None of those three are going to cut it against good European sides. If we get such a player then that just pushes Stokes further out the picture.

Time for all parties concerned to move on.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2015
  7. AJ Styles Moussa Dembele's eyes Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    People always say Stokes is in pubs etc drinking and we no Ronny is very into his fitness I think he's not sticking to the diet rules and that's why he's out the squad atm

8. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Stokes has put in infinitely more good performances on the left than any of the square pegs we've tried since he has been out of the first team picture.

This isn't a talent or application issue.

It's also not a conspiracy either before Venglos has kittens.

9. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Pretty much spot on. Hard to disagree with that tbh.
    He's a frustrating player to watch. Think most agree, he has an abundance of talent (hit free kicks, take corners, assists etc etc), more than most forwards. But his attitude stinks.

10. doctor venglos

That sounds a plausible explanation. But is it true ? Stokes can play really well on the left as we all know.
    I don't like mysteries and I don't like Celtic players departing Parkhead with a mystery over their head. If Stokes has been up to something unbeknown to us all, which I doubt, because the Press would have sniffed it out by now, then by all means lets us know Mr Deila, but stop ducking the question.

11. AJ Styles Moussa Dembele's eyes Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Told a Burnley fan they were signing him and he begged us to kidnap him and hide him to deadline day is over :smiley-laughing002:

12. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

So a left midfielder has an abundance of talent... free kicks, corners, assists etc...

What is the attitude he has, in your opinion and how does it manifest itself?

13. doctor venglos

Look Stokes is a multi millionaire, and if Deila is * Stokes about for no good footballing reason, then I can't blame him for having a swally in the Brazen Head.

14. -Stuart-

Is he a multi millionaire?

15. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    A person with assets worth several millions of pounds? Yes he is. Been at Celtic 5 years- could guess conservatively that he has earned somewhere between 2.5 and 3.5 mllion quid in that time . Also spent two years at Sunderland on a premier league contract where he probably became a millonaire. Unless he has a gambling problem or has made bad investments he will have money in the bank plus cars and property that put him in the multi millionaire bracket.

16. -Stuart-

Fair enough

17. Sonny7

Well you believe that, but it's certainly not a fact. You may think he's a good player but there many more on here who think his performances are *.

It could be a talent issue.

18. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

He is (at this moment) vying for the LAM slot with Armstrong.

Tell me what Armstrong has done to wrestle that spot away from Stokes?

19. doctor venglos

Unlikely a talent issue. Stokes was a phenomenal goal scorer with Falkirk.
    Roy Keane signed Stokes for Sunderland right under our noses for Stokes's undoubted talent. Stokes has enjoyed a very productive and full five years with Celtic.

I would suggest the rag tag on here who don't like Stokes can't be for his talent, but it may be something to do with his Irish and Republican background they don't like.I hope that is not why Deila dozen't like Stokes either for, because that would open up another can of worms.

20. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    but... but the assists?!