1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Who Lived Through and Can Remember the Huns 9-in-a-row?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Jul 12, 2013.

Discuss Who Lived Through and Can Remember the Huns 9-in-a-row? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    They actually were in a lot of debt in the 9 in a row era around £30million odd, thats why they became a PLC in 2000 so they could get people to invest and pay off their debt. They got investment off of Dave King(£20million) and Joe Lewis(£40million) most of that went to paying off 9 in a row era debt and to give Advocaat more money but it all went * up again and Murray ended up having to take on £50million of the debt too.

Just shows how badly ran they were. That in 20ish years, they died with £30millionish debts despite in that period 3 guys giving them £110million and they saved around £15million by using EBT's for a period.

If they had played by the rules with no EBT's and been run like Celtic without needing outside investment theyd have had to cope with about £155million less than they did from say 1992-2012, almost £8million less a year. You wonder how badly they would have really done if they had played by the rules as £8million a year less in the 90s was massive around 1/3+ of a clubs money.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2013
  2. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

You keep telling yourself that.

The investigation only went back to the start of the SPL, believe me they were cheating and spending money that wasn't theirs long before that.

3. Pinstripe

:50: Spot on, how else did they entice the likes of Laudrup, Gascoigne, Albertz etc.
    "come and play in the Scottish league lads, the weather's * and you play the same teams at least 4 times a season"

"eh, no thanks Mr Murray"

"oh...did I mentioned the "second" tax free contract"

4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Likes lf Butcher as well. He was the John Terry of the time, it's unthinkable that players like that would go to Scotland now.

5. Pinstripe

Probably...but I think a few of the English players also came up here at the time of the "Peeennuus" revolution because English clubs were serving a 5yr ban from Europe at the time. Once they'd started the big signings though, they knew they had to find anyway possible to keep signing them or the mutants would turn on them.

6. GodBlessJinky

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    ...and then they died

7. Pinstripe

Us older members will remember this, absolute cracker fae Collins, this is the game they banned us fae their shithole, so for the younger guys on here, what you hear when the goal goes in isnt cheers fae the Celtic end....its bile pouring down from all 4 stands.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVmqGgVgsFE"]John Collins Free Kick V Rangers 30/04/1994 - YouTube[/ame]

8. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

With his new predators as well. :celt_2:

Collins was the first to wear them if I remember right. Half my team had them on the next game we played. :smiley-laughing002:

edit.

That was the game we flew a plane over the shitpit aswell was it not? "Hail Hail the Celts are here"

9. SpellCheck92

How do you know that ?

10. SpellCheck92

Incredible sound. Nothing better than them imploding :smiley-laughing002:

11. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Ask Gavin Masterton for a start.

12. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Remember them all too well. Have never been a season ticket holder, but i went to the vast majority of games up until the season we stopped the 10.
    They were hellish times. We had some fantastic players like Elliot, McStay, Collins, Van Hooijdonk. But we also had utter utter gash like Falconer, Galloway and Muggleton.

I don't know why but after losing that final against Aberdeen in 90 it just felt like the end of an era somehow. I was proved right.
    Then against Raith when we lost..... the feeling of absolute shame and embarrassment.
    The Cup win against Airdrie gave a little hope and made me feel, and i'm sure a lot of other people, that someone,Tommy, could finally do something with our great club.
    That was when i felt that things were going to get better. We still lost the league and probably should have won it but for stupid draws against * teams, with only 1 league defeat to the Hun. But it wasn't to be and Tommy left.
    I still reckon he would have won the league by a country mile the year after. The reason it took us so long and was so nervy was the whole new team on the field. I have visions of Pierre, Cadete and Di Canio scoring 30 league goals apiece :smiley-laughing002:

Maybe wishful thinking.

They were bad times but there was plenty of good times. Thrashing the hun at Ibrox a few times (who remembers John Collins identical free kicks a year apart?) and watching them spend spend spend yet fail miserably in Europe.

13. SpellCheck92

They got there comeuppance though. That's all that matters.

14. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

:50:

They're deid, game over.

15. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    Yup they were dark days. It was tough every summer hearing or reading who they signing next.
    But then tommy burns came along, with McCann, and put together a great team to watch. It was a good blend of foreign talent and young Scottish players.

16. The Doctor

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley, Four Leaf Clover
    What a thread for making me feel old!

Celtic were a shambles throughout the 90's, in fact the rot had set in long before. Failure to move with the times, failure to capitalise on occasional successes which were usually achieved in spite of the board, not because of them.

2 words which beautifully sum up how * we were and most of you will probably need to google - Wayne Biggins.

Fergus McCanns' statue is long overdue.

17. Ruxin

The loss to Aberdeen 1990 Cup Final was a big one, think it set the team right back.

18. Pinstripe

Remember that, brilliant :smiley-laughing002:
    Does anyone on here know anyone who was at the game, I'm sure there were a few brave souls who went that day, remember having to listen to the game on the radio and there was definitely a few "YYEESSSs" when Collins scored...could have been our dugout right enough.

Yeah, Collins was the first professional player to score wearing the Predators :50:

19. Heb Celt

Remember it all too well,was in secondary school at time,was one of a few Tims in a school full of huns.Still wore my strip and gave as good as i got.* it they cheated and died,was nowhere near as good as our 9 in a row because they spent a fortune and every team was *.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2013
  20. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    I remember it vividly, and it coincided with me having a long term relationship which turned very sour.
    Funnily enough, Wim coming along coincided with me finally breaking free in my life!

Twas a good year!