1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping Hooper?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Conor1994, Jun 26, 2013.

Discuss Keeping Hooper? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Shane1888

The key words in your post are 'so far'.

Hooper is currently the same age that Larsson was when he signed for us. 25 years old is not very old at all for a footballer. It isn't beyond realistic to think that Hooper could have a better season with us in the coming season than he had last season and the two seasons before that.

I personally don't think we will get £12m for him even if he does sign a new deal, but in my last post, I was suggesting that £12m would not be a bad fee to pay for a striker of his quality. Just have a look at some of the ridiculous transfer fees that have been dished out for average players in the last few years. £35m for Carroll, £20m for Henderson etc etc.

2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I think people are spoiled by Hooper to be honest; judging by comments on here.

3. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Part in bold, the thing is they went for daft money because they play in the premier league not the SPL. plus Kenny * Liverpool over by paying over the odds for them.

If he signs a new deal he could be worth around 10 million if he keeps up the scoring in Europe.

4. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

If he doesn't want to go then surely there is no need to sell him. I can't see why anyone would want to sell him at this moment if the only replacements seemingly are McFadden and the likes.

In saying that I don't think we'll ever get £12 million for him.

5. jamesybhoy1977

I sold Hooper to Sunderland on FM for ten mil and got David Suazo for free..he and Balde on fire

Incidentally i sold Vic too to Galatasaray for 12 mil

6. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    I think Hooper is holding out for an offer from a better club. He doesn't want to go to a team like Norwich and battle relegation. He knows he'd be lucky to score 10 goals in a season for a team like Norwich. He's holding out for a Villa or Everton size club where he can play mid-table and get noticed more. Im positive it doesn't matter who he signs for though, he will never be capped for England. But I think that's the problem, he wants to go to EPL but to at least a mid-table club

7. goodybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Real madrid keep trying to sign him from me n I keep knocking them back. Big Vicky bhoyys RAGIN wae me !! :smiley-laughing002:

8. sdickson

i fear he is running his contract down and if the right club dont come in for him he wont move and wont sign a new deal.

9. chris89

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA/Fields of Athenry
    If he was on a long term contract I think we would get £8M/9M for him with possible add ons for x amount of goals etc with a year left on his contract I think the board would bite the hand off you for around £6M. I think that is the maximum we will be offered by any club, only hope would be if we got 2 or possibly 3 teams desperate for him and try and squeeze an extra couple of million.

10. Koke

To be honest I'd love it if he stayed, but only if he GENUINELY wants to be here, puts in 100% and is committed the whole season.

Last year, when he wanted to, he was an amazing performer for us. Think back to the last group game vs Spartak. He was immense. Scored a vital goal for us, his link up play was great, and he was running around the pitch and working like a carthorse the WHOLE game. I seem to remember him even running back to our own penalty box to win the ball! Like I said, when he puts a shift in he is a very very good asset to us. But that's only when he can be bothered. There were parts of the season last year (especially in the SPL) where you could tell he couldn't give a *. If he is going to remain like that this year, then he can be sold. Unless he really wants to be here, there's no point in keeping him. Which is a shame because on his day, he's one of my favorite players at the club.

There has been a lot of times in the previous seasons where Gary does actually look like a 10m player, some people seem to forget how good he has, and still can be for us. I just think he needs to get his head screwed on, and either sign the contract OR hand in a transfer request.

PS: If I was him, there would be no doubt in my mind in staying at Celtic. Why would he want to move to a mediocre, run of the mill mid table EPL team? Yeah the league here can be quite tedious but the CL more than makes up for that. Plus, I highly doubt he would get a call up playing for Norwich, Sunderland or Southampton. His best bet is to stay here and show Hodgson what he is all about in the CL. I mean, he was due to get a call up anyway until he got injured right?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2013
  11. vinny25

Carrol was signed for stupid money out of the championship the same as Hooper. Celtic are just smarter in the market then the others.

12. CelticKurd

Fav Celtic Player:
    Georgios Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony and Willie Maley

Yes, this is right

13. Paul95

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I agree with this get another good year out of him 25-30 goals and another CL run i would be happy obviously i would like him to sign a new contract and go for a few mil but another good season and then lose for free isnt that bad a situation considering the money we could get from CL if he stays

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2013
  14. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Same, ive been saying that id just keep Hooper too. We only paid £2-2.5million for him and are probably only paying him about £14k a week so about £5.5million over 4 years, £1.35million per season, he's well worth that. We will only replace him with another £1-2.5million player anyway so its not like we need a lot of money. Keep him and see how we do in January if we're out Europe by January sell him for £2million. Its not as if we've spent £6million on him and then been paying him £30k a week and it's crippling us.

15. celt789

Best of luck to Hooper if he leaves. Cant blame anyone for wanting to play in the Premiership instead of the SPL.

16. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Dont talk pish ya clown.

Why would you want to compete with Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Newcastle, Everton and all they * mobs when you could be playing against Partick Thistle, Kilmarnock, St Mirren, Motherwell and Aberdeen. Visiting shiteholes like London, Newcastle and Manchester when you could take in the attractions and sights of Inverness, Perth and Paisley.

17. CelticKurd

Fav Celtic Player:
    Georgios Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony and Willie Maley

You forgot moscow,barcelona,lisbon...

18. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

:50: and Turin

19. goodybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Ya clown

20. ShaunyBhoy90

There is talks on Facebook of Hooper having a medical at Forrest today. Anyone got further details on this?