1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Realistic expectations for season 13/14

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 27, 2013.

Discuss Realistic expectations for season 13/14 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Slippyfist

I'd have to say I'm expecting to emulate what we achieved this season.

In Europe, I'd be aiming for us to reach the Champions League group stages - claiming the sole cash pot for Scottish football twice in a row would give us extreme financial satisfaction and allow us to further the club on - also topping up the co-efficiency points again. Last 16? To be honest, I'm not entirely "bothered" if we do it - but at least have to give it a proper go at the teams we face within our group. I'd be very happy if we managed to get an extended run into the Europa League after possibly exiting from CL group stages.

Domestically, I genuinely believe we should be aiming to target a domestic treble. Okay, it is not "easy" by any means to conquer across the entire board, but it is not as difficult as proposed by some. As long as we rotate our squad reasonably and responsibly, there's no reason as to why we cannot have rotational teams able to achieve success and maintain a mental and professional standard - would actually stop any bold excuses of players being "tired" etc.

Coaching staff - to be honest, on the whole they have done a great job. In Europe, they excelled themselves in Europe. I'd hope that the likes of Lennon and Co. have taken valuable experience from the Juventus game, and understand how to further advance your team and mental fortitude. Domestically, I was disappointed with both Lennon and the players from the period after we qualified for the last 16 up until the last month there - I feel the majority of the coaching/playing staff took their eyes off the ball and got the pipe and slippers out - all the while peddling out excuse after excuse....please save us the lip service in future! That being said though, they oversaw a league victory and a fantastic Scottish Cup victory - credit goes to them.

I'm also expecting to reap the benefits of this performance consultant, Jim McGuinness. I'm desperately hoping he will be a key factor in upping the overall levels of the players we have at the club, and will be able to motivate them to exceptional levels.

Players - I genuinely think that we will retain all of our key players (Hooper, Wanyama, Forster) until at least the following transfer window. I expect the following players to leave/be sold during the transfer window: Gershon, Rogne, McCourt, Miku, Lassad, Bangura, Toshney and Daryl Murphy. I believe that the likes of F. Twardzik, McGeouch and James Keatings to go out on loan - hopefully to other SPL opposition. If the crux of our first team remains in tact, I would hope that we would sign: an accomplished central defender - one who is aerially-dominant, and forceful in the tackle. A left-footed left back - one capable of challenging Izaguirre for his position. A Left winger - not enough proper cover there for me, and finally, an accomplished (preferably experienced) striker - hopefully (for me) one who is capable of quality link up and capable of getting on the end of crosses. Obviously if the likes of Hooper, Forster and Wanyama leave they will have to be replaced (I'd love to see Kayal become the ideal candidate to replace Wanyama). Anthony Stokes is well deserving of a new deal, and hopefully Ledley, Hooper and Wanyama will put pen to paper on existing deals.

Youth players - a possible pool to replace outgoing first team players: I'd be delighted if we could reap the rewards of our expensive youth set up, and include the likes of: Atajic, Marcus Fraser, Paul George, Jamie Lyndsay and possibly Jackson Irvine become regulars in the first team squad - about time we gave these lads a decent chance to see how they handle the pressure.

Boardroom - I expect them to fully back the manager and scouting system in recruiting players worthy of advancing our squad in Europe - and develop more links to advertising, links with other clubs, future revenue etc. On the whole they are doing a great job in that respect. Speaking of respect, I would HOPE that those within the club would spend next season accommodating for certain sects of our support, instead of demonizing those who play an active part of crowd pleasure and vocal support of the team/club all over the country and on the continent.

If I've forgot anything, I'll add it in :icon_mrgreen:

2. The Celtic Way

On a personal note I'm desperate for the treble and any sort of European football after christmas.

3. pokerbhoy74

4. BelfastCelt88

Is James Keatings not being released soon?

5. Rude Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kris Commons
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    Treble
    Group stages of CL

6. Mr. Slippyfist

I don't think so mate.

Could be wrong though...........

7. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Id take a domestic double and the CL Group Stages if offered now. A perfect season would be the Treble and the Group Stages.

8. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    On the domestic front a double, i don't see why the treble can't be realistic either, if we invest wisely we should be even further in front of the rest of the SPL than we currently are.

On the european front group stages of the CL, hopefully with a group of teams we haven't played before. I would like to see an extended run beyond christmas EL or CL but i don't expect it although of course i would welcome it.

I do expect the board to really back lenny in the summer, its the only way to duplicate or improve on this season, we must bring in players who are better than the ones we currently have while at the same time retaining the core of our team.

9. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Hopefully retain the Scottish Cup,win the league with a bit of style,get through to the group stages and get adequate replacements for Hooper and anyone else who leaves.

I won't demand a treble,it'll be a bonus if they achieve it,but I will not demand it like a petulant child and build myself up for disappointment.

10. McManus4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Anything close to this seasons European performance would be outstanding.

I'd also like to see some youth breaking through. Hopefully a couple of new youngsters around the first team - while I'm desperate for McGeouch and Watt to grab a starting 11 place when they get the chance.

11. Mr. Slippyfist

I won't be demanding it either, but I would be very disappointed if we lost it because, imo, certain players turned up on the day with the wrong attitude.

12. Mr. Slippyfist

To me, the only way we can possibly do this is by bringing in a couple of players with real Champions League pedigree - i.e. those who can bring experience of being regular visitors to the group stages, or that have succeeded in furthering the last 16. Preferably these would be a couple of "older heads" (not necessarily over the hill type players, but old enough to give our young-ish squad a wealth of shared experience).

13. Mr. Slippyfist

Personally, I'm not really seeing McGeouch break into the team anytime soon.

I'd be delighted if the likes of he could go out on loan to another decent SPL side - say a Dundee Utd?

Watt - I think is destined for a season of coming off the bench. I don't have a problem with that, and I still think we should keep him grounded in terms of his development. Without showing signs of disrespect to other opponents, I think the likes of one of the cup competitions, the manager should focus on introducing youth players with a few experienced/reliable heads.

:50:

14. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

I was gonna say,that wasn't a dig at yourself or anyone else in this thread :50:

I'd be very disappointed if that were the case too,lessons should have been learned though.

15. Mr. Slippyfist

I didn't take it as a dig anyhoo mate :50:

I honestly can handle losing important games as a Celtic player - as long as our players are carrying out their duties with commitment and focus.

16. Wanyama67

My realistic expectation is a transfer budget of £1.5 million max, the double and group stages of CL.

17. StibyBhoy

I'd like to go one better than this year, so a treble, have a few concerns regarding being back so early, think the Bhoys are only getting about 3-4 weeks off, so for me, that makes next season even tougher.

Don't like pulling out a negative after a great climax to the season yesterday, but it does bother me!

That aside, would like a similar approach in terms of CL focus more than SPL, we really excelled this season, was happy enough to qualify let alone reach last 16, be hard to match it next season.

18. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    A double on the domestic front and 3rd place in the champions league group stages, then maybe a wee run in the Europa league as well.

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    My main hopes are keeping Forster and Wanyama as I firmly believe that Hooper will leave. He was asked yesterday in the after match interview and saying 'we'll see' just makes me think he wants to leave but was being polite.

With McCourt leaving, I'd like another creative midfielder brought in to take the pressure off Commons and for cover if he's injured or off form.

With some players leaving and freeing up wages, I'd love to see us invest in one or possibly two players. Preferably a centre midfielder, a stiker to replace Hooper and maybe another centre back as I think Rogne looks unlike to stay due to his refusal so far to sign a new deal.

In Europe, the group stages is the target, anything beyond that is a bonus, but that's not to say I don't want us to challenge and go as far as possible. If we fail to reach the group stages this year, quarter finals of the Europa League is a realistic target. Winning it is unlikely, but not impossible. We did better than Benfica at a higher level this season and the were runners up to Chelsea.

If we do get to the group stages, winning another away match would be brilliant.

In regards to youth players, if even one was able to establish himself as a first team player next year, that would be a success.

20. Mr. Slippyfist

You're easily pleased :smiley-laughing002::smiley-laughing002::smiley-laughing002: