1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[XBox] New XBOX v PS4????

Discussion in 'Computers and Gaming' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Apr 29, 2013.

Discuss New XBOX v PS4???? in the Computers and Gaming area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. StrikinMidfield

Getting the Playstation for sure. This pre owned game thing sounds like crap and I'm sick of paying a monthly subscription for online. As far as exclusives go I couldn't care less, both play FIFA so I'm fine :icon_mrgreen:

2. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Atari 67.54 is makng a omeback.......mon the tetris.

3. Bean88

Ps4 for me. Always played a PS and most my mates prefer it aswel so in that sense it's a no brainer.

Never had PS+ except that time we all got it free for a while because of the hacking situation.. I might get it for ps4 though. Seems a worthwhile investment.

4. peaky101 Gold Member Gold Member

the pre owned game stuff is on the ps4 as well btw, i think sony have left it down to the game manufacturers rather than it being mandatory like xbox.

the whole no pre-owned stuff is old news for many pc gamers, steam stopped pre-owned games a long time ago but they had the smarts to do it properly. games on the major consoles hold there value for far far far to long fifa 14 will be what 45 quid maybe ? 6 months down the line it will still be the same. steam hve the new games and the full price than have sale days throughout the year were games that were 45 quid prier thn could be bought for anything from, 5 - 15 quid. if sony and Microsoft do this i can't see it being a huge problem.

as for the ps3 v the xbox1 hardware wise they are virtually the same, or they will work out virtually the same. Both console have 8GB of RAM however the xbox1 has DDR3 RAM and the ps4 DDR5. This is were it gets interesting, the RAM in the xbox (DDR3) is better for supplying the CPU with what it needs as apposed to the DDR5 which is better for supplying the graphics card with what it needs.

The cPU's in both systems are both based on AMd's jaguar 8 core CPU, with the ps4 CPU being slightly faster at 2.0 Ghz whereas xbox's is 1.6 Ghz.

i won't go into the graphics cards as xbox hasn't released the specs as of however the ps4 graphics card is the equivalent of a 200 quid graphics card. as aforementioned the ps4 has the DDR5 RAM which is better suited to graphics processing so it is going to be very hard, hardware wise, for the xbox to match the ps4 capability.

When it comes down to the programming for the games this is were Microsoft hold the cards for the games. when you think about there only really 3 main contenders for the best gaming system. the PS4 , xbox1 and gaming PC's. what do to of them have in common ? yep they run on windows ( xbox and normally the PC) so when programming, unless it a ps4 exclusive, manufacturers will program the game to run on a windows based system then will need to add another line of software in for it to run on the linux based ps4. so for the system to process the translation lines in the coding it takes a wee bit longer, which is the reason why some folk say games like COD or fifa run better on a XBOx360 than a PS3.

so in conclusion any advantages sony have hardware wise Microsoft ake up for software wise, at least for the moment. It will come down to, as mentioned by numerous people in the thread , A. to what you have always had before or B. what your pals will play.

5. Tulf

Anyone else think these consoles won't have as long of lifespan as the 360 and the PS3?

6. peaky101 Gold Member Gold Member

7 years is a long time and the hardware in them is already what many pc gamers would think as old hat, so who knows. as long as there making money out of them, id say prob 5-6 years

7. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    I agree. The success of Steam is down to the fact they have excellent sales - not just 10% off today *, but proper week or fortnight long deals knocking as much as 80% off top games.
    MS i can't imagine doing this ever.

Xbox haven't released their specs yet so at best you have estimates and guesswork going on there.
    What they have said is they will be using a custom built all-in-one CPU/GPU - hence the apparent no need for GDDR ram (not GDDR5 - that's the GPU ram on PS4).
    It will be similar in architecture to the AMD A10 CPU/GPU but custom built and optimized for the XOne.
    Also they have said that the Cloud system will be used in the future to power their games when it is stable enough (like OnLive) so we may see in 5 years time better graphics and performance without any upgrade needed. These consoles could last for 10+ years.

Simply it is Windows based. It is not Windows. In the same way a Nokia N11 or whatever is not running Windows 8.
    The programming for both consoles will be pretty similar and may be easier for PS4 due to the custom CPU/GPU chip in One - like developers struggled with the PS3's complicated custom processor.
    Hence why most PC games are ports of PS3/360 games rather than the other way around.

8. cheesepoo

The new Xbox looks a total scam. This coming from a 360 owner. I have Much preferred live even with the extra expense but i may be trying to persuade friends to get the Ps4 if the rumours about the Xbox One are true

9. dmccourt95

I must be the only one who doesn't get what their friends get, only one of my closest friends play PS3 the rest of them have Xbox 360 however I never play online so that's why I'm not bothered

10. GAA_Celtic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No
    I will pick a new girlfriend.

So I don't want to go back and read everything, which console is better?

11. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Too early to say yet in my opinion, we'll have a better idea in a couple of weeks after E3.

12. honda Gold Member Gold Member

WiiU, its got mario kart soon.

13. StibyBhoy

Still undecided, have a PS3 and Xbox360, the PS3 just gathers dust and plays the occasional Bluray.

The thing that really put me off it was the updates took ages, both for games and console. Was always a PS guy, but the Xbox has been brilliant.

Only certainty is it will be a mighty expensive Christmas in this household this year!

14. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Aye and while your at it can I get a mixup aff the van and a cone wae raspberry :rolleyes:

15. The Golden God I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds Gold Member

Do Xbox users still need to pay for online?

16. TimFloyd Gold Member

Yes

17. Barry Robson

I'l get the ps4 next year at some point. Could get it on release but will be wait until more games etc are released for it, see customer reviews and any problems it has are fixed.

18. Bean88

I'm only rushing for it if all the general yearly games are available right away. Might even wait for GTAV on it..I just don't know yet.

EDIT: Nah, * it. I'm getting it as soon as it's available lol (ps4) would hate to hold back only to find a shortage ha

19. Lennon2011

20. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Allegedly.....

PS4 to feature used game DRM as well according to a leaked conversation with a Sony employee and journalist. "Publishers wont allow one console to do one thing and the other something else".
    Ho Hum. :54:

Will post something more concrete when i can.