1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Proper attendance figures released

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Markybhoy, Mar 16, 2013.

Discuss Proper attendance figures released in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. scootz

The way i see it...

Since Rangers demise, the leagues a formality, so the normal excitement of following Celtic in the SPL is simply not there.

No one wants to hear it, but it's the truth.

2. tinyheadbhoy

Aye people leaving early * me off, on Saturday there were ones who left on 60 minutes! Utter madness.

3. scomur1888

The concession prices,as stated already on this topic,are a disgrace to be honest.I think the board will have to offer better prices for under 18s,under 16s and OAPs.The amount of dads that would probably like to take their kids to matches that don't due to pricing would be frightening.£43 for a parent to take a kid along is shocking but I bet you if they done 1xadult ticket + concession for £30 then I think we would easily get another 5k more than we currently do.

I think serious thought needs to go into their pricing for next season and I have every confidence that they will come up with something that will be more attractive to the fans,even more so for the youth/kids of our support!

4. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Tbh, no football match should be more than £20. SPL should be tenner at most, and less for OAPs and kids, but this is not going to happen for a long time, if ever.

5. Petauk74

Fav Celtic Player:
    Present- Broony. Of all time tommy burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    There's a guy who sit behind me that comes to the games and always leaves at half time and never comes back. I just hope he goes to another part of the staduim as that is a total waste to me. Think next season they need to do something as its getting pretty poor seeing big gaps in the stadium.

6. Jungo

As soon as I'm back working I will have a season book with my son so that's two more for next season if a get working again

Let's hope the attendencies pick back up but lets be honest the price of tickets is a shambles

7. scootz

Then you should expect a wage structure in line with Hearts, Hibs, etc.

8. Jungo

60 thousand sold at 15 pound is more money that 30 thousand sold at 25 pound

9. scomur1888

Don't agree with this,I'd be happy if we trimmed our squad down by saving money and introducing more youth,could save ourselfs a few million in wages.Im not meaning sell our main players I'm meaning squad players,guys picking up 10k a week for nothing,500k a year.

It's about time the club rewarded the fans a bit more so if it means tickets costing £20 or less then so be it.Im pretty sure they would make up the cash in other way such as selling more merchingdising,food and juice etc especially if there are more kids are in attendance which there would be if they trimmed prices down.

10. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I think prices are an excuse. If your not working then your not going to get to many games so theres nothing that can be done then. If you are then theres no excuse. Saving £10 a week for a year will pay for a season ticket for the next season.

11. scootz

I hear what you're saying, and I guess you could go further and say that more punters means better traffic through the superstore and the food kiosks.

However, I honestly think that it's the lack of proper domestic competition that's causing most of the empty seats and that this won't change significantly through a reduction in ticket prices.

You also have to keep in mind that Celtic is a huge organisation, with massive overheads and this will be reflected in the ticket costs. I'm sure they're not raking in massive profits through the ticket sales.

12. Sween

It wouldnt be in line with Hibs and Hearts as we would still make more in tickets and other income streams. But it would be less.

To be honest I wouldnt mind if it meant we filled celtic park and got a bit of atmosphere back in the ground. We could cut spending and still dominate Scotland, and we are never going to have the money to make a dent in the Champions League. I would rather watch a lesser quality team in a more fun enviroment than watch a better team run away with the league in a half empty stadium.

It really comes down to what you want from football but I would prefer a lower standard, a closer league, and a sell out crowd, rather than a more successful team that noone bothers turning up for.

Im not sure.
    There are probably plenty of people who go to celtic park every week who probably shouldnt as they probably cannot really afford it. As they continue to get squeezed more and more they will eventually have to give up. There are those who can afford it but just refuse to be ripped off. That isnt an excuse - it is just an opinion based on what they consider fair.

13. bazmarley

some good ideas there :50:

14. Hugo Nedez

A massive concern and it's definitely not 100% down to economic austerity. It's far too easy to say 'Aye but the O'Neill and Strachan era was always too good to maintain, this is our proper level'. I just don't buy that argument, although our board should be desperately looking at a wide range of initiatives to try and attract thousands of missing fans back; if they decided to remain prudent with transfers, then it would be a perfect opportunity for them to state so in the summer, while justifying this by lowering season ticket prices with the money saved.

15. This Charming Man

The leagues not competitive anymore which will discourage people to go to games, and to add to that you never know whether you're gunna turn up to a game where the players can actually be bothered so that's another thing.

16. aliceinsound

Most premier league teams have the vast majority of season ticket holder show up for games, just look at old trafford and the number of empty seats is minimal. The problem is not a money one, I think people just can't be arsed going to games.

If they made season tickets dirt cheap it would only heighten the problem, as if each game costs £8 on a season ticket, then it is hardly a big loss if you don't show up. Celtic need to come up with some sort of incentive for people to actually go to games, like if someone goes to all 19 home games they get £50 off if they renew their season ticket the following year.

17. Haywood Jablomi

Most premier league teams have the vast majority of season ticket holder show up for games, just look at old trafford and the number of empty seats is minimal. The problem is not a money one, I think people just can't be arsed going to games. Or put a team on the park who give the impression they are interested in playing the game.

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

People don't have the money to be at every game i had to give up my season ticket due to work problems. now i don't get to as many games as i used to when i had my ticket does this make me a glory hunter or a fake fan according to some people.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2013
  19. Bhoy Brian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    scotland always gets hit harder in a downturn than the rest of the uk especially when the torries are in as they do nothing for us. Look on facebook twitter etc the whole worlds fecked at the moment i hate hearing its due to the bigot boys not being here

20. CelticFC1967

Celtic's pricing structure is a * joke. They should let under-12s in for free with an * ticket, baffling that they charge such high prices for people in that age group. Matchday tickets should also have a student ticket price, most other clubs offer this yet we don't.

Ticket prices should be 20 quid an *, 10 quid concession, 350 quid for a season ticket. No matter how little competition we had in the SPL, that would easily increase ticket sales by a few thousand. If it means reducing the wage bill and losing a player or 2 then so be it, the fans should come first and they should be able to afford to watch some kind of football on a Saturday afternoon. The club offer very little incentive to get folk back - even at christmas when they offered 2 extra tickets per fan, you had to complete application forms and then travel to the ticket office the week before in order to get the tickets - they knew very little people would be able to take up that offer.

When I was in Barcelona in October, they had so much to do around the ground - even when it wasn't a matchday. Massive ticket office, huge superstore, museum, outside cafe's which served beer and food and general areas to gather around the stadium, enjoy a decent pint and a burger and it wasn't too expensive. The fact that Parkhead has never had anything similar is utterly, utterly puzzling for me. Even the likes of Kilmarnock have their own pub/hotel for fans before games and we still don't.

Food stall prices are another issue - I'd be surprised if Celtic pay anything more than about 15p per pie that they sell for 2 quid, the bovril will cost pennies per cup, the fizzy juice even less. They sell all of this for way over the price it should be. £1 cups of tea/coffee and £1.50 pies would be far better and probably sell more. I used to buy a programme and a pie, do neither now due to the ridiculous prices. I know I'm not the only one - you only need to look at how busy places like KFC and Tesco at the forge are prior to games - people know they get better value for money eating somewhere else before the game. I'm no business expert but I'd say that I used to spend around £6 quid on food/drink and programme before I stopped - surely reducing the prices and having people like myself spending £2.50 on food/drink and £1.50 on a programme and therefore £4 quid every week has to be better than spending nothing at all? The main problem is that people still buy items at the overpriced mark they are - once people stop doing that then they'd have no option but to reduce prices.

Treating the fans like criminals is another detraction. As was mentioned previously, people are scared they'll fall foul of some new fangled law of some kind and it'll go against them in terms of jobs/visa applications and so on. Opening a standing area and just letting the fans who want some atmosphere to enjoy themselves without fear of recrimination would help make a difference for sure.

If there isn't some sort of reduction in prices next season then the board will lose a lot of money, more money than it's worth. Sadly, I reckon prices will remain the same and they'll probably fling in an extra free qualifier or friendly/cup game.

The lack of foresight from intelligent men like Lawwell really does confuse me - considering he's a man whom is always determined to find was of making more money then I'm hugely surprised we haven't seen any sort of pubs or bars or cafe's being built in and around Celtic Park.