1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

1 star player/Big money signing

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Markybhoy, Feb 22, 2013.

Discuss 1 star player/Big money signing in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Barry Robson

I prefer the signing policy we have just now, no need to splash the cash. More often or not in recent years our big money signings have not worked out.

2. Seosamh Máirtín

I think our version of this will be rewarding Hooper or Wanyama with a new deal that keeps them at the club for the imminent future.

3. TimFloyd Gold Member

1 star player

Don't worry I got it :56: :50:

4. Markybhoy

A star player could come in different forms, it doesn't necessarily have to be a famous name although it could be a big name.

I think there are two types of player we could be looking at..................

Young guy with big potential
    There has to be young players out there in Eastern Europe or South America who we could get our hands on before the really big clubs do. We could be a stepping stone between clubs like Sparta Prague and Bayern Munich.

This is pretty much the policy we're currently pursuing with guys like Wanyama and Matthews but I'm talking about stepping it up a level for 1 player. Instead of buying a young player for £1million that we might be able to get £5-10million for, we buy a seriously talented young player for £4-5million and maybe get £15-20million for them at some point in the future.

Portuguese clubs seem to dig up technically gifted youngsters from South America on a regular basis. I know they have an advantage with work permits and stuff but there surely has to be similarly talented young players out there that we can get our hands on?

The famous veteran
    The other alternative is to go for a well known veteran who's best days are behind him but who is still good enough to be a class above what we have. If we were going for this kind of player there would obviously be no sell on value so we'd have to try and nick them on a free transfer and just pay their wages.

Ronaldinho and Beckham have been mentioned in this thread, their wages are probably still above the £40-60,000 a week range but there must be other talented veteran players out there who would play for that kind of money.

There has to be other Lubo Moravciks out there. Nobody had heard of Lubo when he arrived here and he was an absolute genius. It can't be beyond the realms of possibility to find another guy like that, especially if we are willing to pay a good wage for the right player.

5. RocknRolla67

Fav Celtic Player:
    All of Em
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I don't know if we could afford a household name but what I desperately want is a 'flair' player. Like a Riquelme which someone mentioned earlier, it doesnt matter if they don't put themselves about, that's what Wanyama, Ledders and Broon are for.

6. shaun.f

so they get money for nothing & chicks for free.

7. Celtic Bhoy 94

I don't think anybody is expecting us to splash out big bucks! I think this is more aimed towards what Brighton did with Vicente who is a big name player but they got him on a free and was supposedly on a pay as you play deal but i'm not sure if he still is when he signed a new contract

8. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    On eof the biggest issues I have with football fans from england is their attachement to 'star names'. It's basically saying if a player doesnt play in a popular league, isn't from a specific country or hasn't been hyped up by the Sky media machine he's not worth knowing.

A team of 11 Lionel Messi's is useless if it's not as good as a team full of OAP's who make a better team. Not sure that makes sense, but I'm basically saying it's the sum of the individuals that matters, not the individuals themselves.

We aint in the business of signing stars, we're in the business of making them.

etc

9. Celtic_Jorge

Yeah everybody getting all excited about Miku.... I wasn't. I held my breathe until I saw him play in a Celtic jersey. Miku, Im not sure is a household name. I bet a lot of Spaniards you meet on the street probably wouldn't even know him.

I think he's more talking about if someone like Steven Gerrard were to come here. Now he is a star, and a household name.

I think we should. Now I'm not saying this person could ever replace Larsson, but he was a star, and a household name. I miss those days and I would like to see it happen again at Celtic park. I think it would give attendance a big boost, too.

10. OC

Think it would create huge imbalance in the team considering:

1. That player would be paid much more than others, maybe even double than what highest earner is getting

2. Such player would only be able to make a difference in games against stronger opponents as current squad are quite capable of doing the job in domestic competitions and there's only about 10-12 of those games a season at best compared to ~50 games in league and cups

I'd like to see young players getting a chance and continuing with current policy.

On the other hand, the first thing I think about when this sort of player is mentioned is #10 capable of game-defining moments and generally entertaining style of play. I would love to see a player like Arango or Riquelme, loads of experience and terrific skill. First team players and youngsters would benefit a lot from them.

11. marti~bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson & Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Cheers pal :icon_mrgreen:

12. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    TBH I'm more bothered about losing players than signing them.

I am more than happy to continue to trust the current signing policy. The two best players I have seen play for Celtic were Henrik and Lubo and we didn't pay much for either of them.

Also not sure how healthy it would be if we brought in one player who was obviously been paid more than the rest.

13. The The Hand

I'd say Broony was a 1 star player. :86:

14. Celtic Bhoy 94

[​IMG]

15. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    It's changed days, when we signed Larsson we had a history of a attracting some flair from abroad, e.g., Van Hooijdonk, Cadette, Di Canio & Thom. Larsson never had as good a reputation as most of they player's yet he improved year on year at Celtic and became a legend.

We could compete with wages down south at the time, could offer 60000 fan's and hero worship but now most only care about money so we have no chance getting player's that are well known.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2013
  16. Markybhoy

I knew you'd see sense in the end. :icon_mrgreen:

17. aliceinsound

I would rather use our youth system to make our own star players. We used to produce world class players like Jinky and dalglish.

I know our youth teams have improved but until they are competing to win the next gen tournament then it falls short of what we are capable of producing

18. The The Hand

[​IMG]

19. The The Hand

LOL - just as I posted that, I realised that gnome's face is almost identical to how I imagine Butch looks. :smiley-laughing002:

20. Markybhoy

I am not suggesting we abandon our current signing policy or our youth system. Both of those things would still be central pillars of our football operation.

I'm merely suggesting that we could push the boat out for 1 player to add that extra bit of quality that we lack.