1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephan Lichtsteiner

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Zander, Feb 12, 2013.

Discuss Stephan Lichtsteiner in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Cathairbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joe Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Wouldn't lose sleep if he got his leg broke.

2. Vibs_ITA

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eR4K8DrNEQ&feature=player_embedded"]Pirlo owns Scott Brown - YouTube[/ame]

3. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  4. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    If a Celtic player did what he did along the way to a victory last night I'd bet your tune would be different. The player done his job, the referee didnt.

Personally, I think given Platini's comments and then for a UEFA referee, linesman & additional assistants to continually miss that sort of behaviour is completely inept at worst. If they arent downgraded for that performance, I'd consider corruption involved.

5. ORIGINALS

What he did was against the rules, but it was the refs fault for not giving the pen. Tbh if i was him and i knew i was going to get away with it, i would be fouling players like that aswell.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2013
  6. TimFloyd Gold Member

Well done you signed up to a forum to show a 10 second clip of a 90 minute match.

As that is the only thing Pirlo did.

7. Larsson93

Worst case of "owning" I have ever seen. Izzy, Hooper and Commons destroyed your guys with some touchs.

The worst part of your post it that your obviously a Juve glory hunter.

8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I would be absolutely embarrassed.

To suggest a footballer done his job by cheating is laughable.

9. BuckeyeBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Gary Hopper
    Fav Celtic Song:
    cheer up Walter Smith
    WOW! Talk about life changing!!! I guess I'll change my name,leave my wife,quit my religion,stop drinking,pet stray dogs,sleep upside down,and anything else extreme! In short
    [​IMG]

10. holy pope

Fav Celtic Player:
    All time Larsson, Currently KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    Hooper should have stuck the head on the *

11. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    To call it cheating is being completely melodramatic. Firstly, the referee saw what he was doing and didnt punish him for it.

His job was to stop Hooper impeding Buffon at set pieces so he can come for crosses, Hooper never impeded Buffon, Lichtsteiner did the job asked of him by his manager better than he could have dreamt about.

I see you have no issue with Celtic trying impede goalkeepers at set pieces, we've done it regularly in the UCL. The rules clearly state you cant impede keepers. If what Lichtsteiner did is cheating, then whats that?

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Dropping to the floor clutching your ankle when there is no opponent in a 6 foot radius because you think you are about to be sent off for foul play is cheating. Pure and simple.

Attempting to pass it off as being melodramatic, again, laughable.

The guy is a dirty cheat and you could paint it any way you want to, those are the facts of it.

13. Bunk Moreland

No, it's cheating, end of that one.

His job was to cheat.

Standing in front of a goalkeeper is not against the rules.

14. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Is that why he didnt get sent off? :rolleyes:

Hoopers job was to impede the keeper as much as possible without getting pinged by the referee. To just stand there isnt against the rules, the stand there, be in the keepers way and make no attempt to play the ball is against the rules.

15. Thommo92

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    swiss

16. Jungo

Cheat

17. Bunk Moreland

You can stand anywhere you like in the penalty area, there is no rules against "being in the keepers way" and if the ball doesn't come your way then there's no need to attempt to play it, as long as you don't physically impede the goalkeeper then there is no foul which Hooper doesn't as he just stands in front of him. That I'm afraid is just plain fact.

There is of course rules against players physically manhandling each other in the box which the Swiss * was guilty of on numerous occasions as well as a few other of their defenders. The rules state quite clearly that the punishment for this is a warning for the first offence, a yellow card for the second and a second yellow and therefore a red card if it persists. The rules also state that a penalty or direct free kick depending where the foul took place should be awarded if the fouling persists after the ball comes back into play, which it did, on numerous occasions.

18. willsad83

He really distinguished himself in a sea of * by being the basterdest of them all last night

19. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Hooper is there to impede without getting caught, to think otherwise is being naive. He cant header a ball to save himself, he's not going to out jump a half decent keeper for anything.

Again, you blame the referee for the rules not being enforced. I'd be happy bending and breaking rules like that knowing the referee doesnt have the stones to pull me properly for it, most players would too

20. Bunk Moreland

You're making * up to back up your already flawed argument. He is not there to impede and does not impede goalkeepers, he's there to stand in front of him to put him off, similar to "screening" in ice hockey.

Again, I do blame the referee for not applying the rules in the rulebook, if he's a professional referee then there's no excuse for him either not knowing them and/or failing to apply them. I also blame their players for not playing within the laws of the game, both parties are as bad as each other.

If you would be happy bending or breaking the rules just because you can get away with it then you are a cheat but then again that's the attitude of cheats, just ask the now deceased Rangers, Lance Armstrong, anyone involved in Italian match fixing or any other named and shamed cheat in sport and they'll tell you that when it comes down to it, they cheated because they got away with it.