1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

We're the famous Glasgow Celtic and we're going to Wembley

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Markybhoy, Feb 8, 2013.

Discuss We're the famous Glasgow Celtic and we're going to Wembley in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC-X

But say we knock out Juventus, why would we be unable to knock out say, Manchester United, Valencia, Arsenal, Schalke, Galatasaray, Milan, PSG, who are all of a similar or in most cases lesser team than Juve?

The five top teams are Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Juventus. We knock Juventus out there's four. We avoid them for a round or two and then who knows. We've proved we can compete with the best of them.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2013
  2. CelticFC1967

Thank you for the condescending copy and paste of the definition of fluke as well as the sarcastic comments. I still never said it was a fluke that we beat Barcelona. It was skill, graft and a large portion of luck that helped us to win it.

Hooper may have scored, he may not have scored. That's not really the point, it was fairly lucky for us that the defender clipped him, it swung the match for us - we dominated as soon as they were down to 10 men. I don't see what the problem is with people not accepting that, as well as some excellent performances, we rode our luck? It's being realist.

3. CelticFC1967

Mainly because out of that list, most of them will probably lose in the last 16 against their opposition. You're stating a lot of hypothetical situations which have all to go our way just for us to have a chance. If you actually believe we will be in Wembley come May then fair play to you, I don't think we will be though.

4. Glasgow_Bhoy88

saying we rode our luck is extremely harsh...its not lucky that the spartak player brought down hooper - if hooper scores then we get a boost anyway just as they did.

5. JC-X

You're welcome.

If you didn't say it was a fluke explicitly, I took it as implied, seeing as you mentioned luck more often than 'hard work', 'skill', 'talent', and 'deserved'.

It's not luck if it's a stonewall sending off... what do you not understand about that? They cheated us out of a chance. You make your own luck. As I've said 'luck' doesn't even come into football - Villa's shot - he'd have been under pressure from our players and unable to set himself... if he'd had acres of space he'd have surely put it in the other side of the post. I've given other examples.

6. JC-X

Put it this way, if a team kicks * out of you for 90 minutes and you beat them after they have 3 men sent off, were you lucky? If anything you were unlucky as you were denied the chance to play.

7. JC-X

All of these situations are hypothetical. Saying we'll be unlikely to make it to the last 8 is hypothetical. Saying we won't win it is hypothetical.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2013
  8. JC-X

My thoughts exactly.

9. CelticFC1967

Probably because luck played a role in winning. Hard work did too. Skill did too. Talent did too. We did deserve to beat Barcelona. Take any one of those things out of the equation (luck, hard word, skill or talent) and we'd have lost. Of course you make your own luck, I'm not saying that the foul in itself was 'luck' but the position it put us in was lucky for us.

10. CelticFC1967

Don't think there was any need to bring deadco into this...:50:

That's a different situation though, isn't it? Hardly even comparable. We aren't talking about some sort of hypothetical incident - we are talking about one that actually happened in the Spartak game.

11. JC-X

I'd agree, I just think it's maybe a bit understated how much of a role those other three played. :50:

12. JC-X

I was thinking Rangers when I wrote that. :smiley-laughing002:

13. cammy07

It's not impossible because of course if you are still in a competition then you have a chance, but it is as close to being impossible as it could be. I think we have probably reached our peak in terms of this seasons competition, getting out of the group itself was an incredible achievement but I can't see us going any further. There is no reason though why we can't go on from this season and go further on in the tournament in the next few years.

14. CelticFC1967

Of course they are, normally from our detractors but it did have a slice of luck. We deserved that though. I really hope you're right and I'm wrong mate:50:

15. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    Is CelticFC1967 really Craig Burley?

16. Verrix

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA & Fields
    I think he meant things like when Sanchez hit the post early in the (2nd?) Barcelona match, because if something like that happens, it's a game-changer and not a positive one for us. If that shot had gone in, I doubt we would have beaten Barcelona and come 2nd in the group overall

17. JC-X

Do you know we'd have topped the group had Alba not scored in the last few seconds at the Camp Nou? :smiley-laughing002:

18. Smileyy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Maybe but Barca would've played a stronger team vs Benfica in the last game cos Benfica could've still qualfied and they would've probably beat them so maybe not.

19. Derrybhoy1

Got there before me :50:. I sometimes think about topping the group too but no doubt Barca would have put out a full team had they been in that position. I just love the fact that we always put Benfica out (as in come 2nd ahead of them) :56: must hate the sight of us.

20. ORIGINALS

There's no such thing as luck, we won our games because we deserved to win them.