1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

We're the famous Glasgow Celtic and we're going to Wembley

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Markybhoy, Feb 8, 2013.

Discuss We're the famous Glasgow Celtic and we're going to Wembley in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CelticFC1967

We've rode our luck a lot throughout the group stages. Spartak away was helped by their defender pulling down Hooper and being sent off. Barca away, they created a huge number of chances, probably on par with most other games they play but finishing let them down - we were lucky when Villa hit the post etc. The home game is fairly similar - when have you ever seen Xavi make an error like he did that night? We were awful away to Benfica and we got a win v Spartak at home thanks to a defensive error and a soft penalty.

Luck is no bad thing but it only gets you so far. We have played well in the majority of european games, we will raise our game again next week and in Turin and we may go through. Anyone that actually thinks that Celtic will be in Wembley is delusional. If it happens, I'd be very, very surprised. One off performances and luck aren't enough when it's over 2 legs and the knockout stages are even harder - every team raises their game. I'm not detracting from our achievements in Europe this season but we have had luck - that is undeniable. Our fighting spirit, our luck, our fans, our talented young side and our passion have helped us get this far but, if we are actually living in the real world for a minute, that only gets you so far. Genuine quality takes over when push comes to shove in the latter stages.

2. JC-X

[​IMG]

YOU'RE TALKING BULLSHIT. :smiley-laughing002:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2013
  3. CelticFC1967

A well thought out and excellent retort to which I have no response...

4. JC-X

We're where we are on merit and merit alone. And we're still in the competition so anyone who thinks we can't get to Wembley is delusional.

5. JC-X

:icon_mrgreen::bbpd:

6. made in ireland

I understand what you're saying. But I'm sure if people said at the start of the campaign Celtic would qualify for the last 16, end the 'away hoodoo' and beat Barcelona along the way they would more than likely have been described as 'deluded' as well.

I've always held the opinion 'you're in it to win it'. However unlikely it may be, as long as Celtic have a chance (no matter how small)- I will believe they can go on to win it.

7. limerickcelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    all of em
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    How dare you write something so sensible and reasonable :icon_mrgreen:.
    Get a grip man and get on the fairytale train with the rest of the dreamers.

8. Biggie Smalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kris commons
    I voted no but anything is possible in football. It's not likely we will get any further but it's not impossible either.

9. JC-X

Sums up my attitude exactly. We may as well throw in the towel now if this is our limit. And it's not a dream - we're living it. Until I seen anything that suggests we're less than capable of beating any team left in the competition then I'll believe we can do it. To write Barcelona off as a fluke - especially as over two legs we held them and came out with a victory - is hugely insulting to our players. There was no luck about it. It was hard graft and heart that got us over the line. If Watt's not busting a lung to get into that position in the first place and then composing him to beat wone of the most highly regarded 'keepers in the world at the age of 18, then Xavi's error means hee-haw. Likewise if Wilson and Ambrose aren't throwing themselves into challenges and Forster pulling out one of the best goalkeeping performances of my lifetime.

And if you were watching the second half in Moscow you'd know we were well in control before the sending off.

The only point I agree with that you made, CelticFC1967, is that we weren't up to scratch in the away leg against Benfica.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2013
  10. CelticFC1967

I agree, we are definitely here on merit - I firmly believe our team is better than Spartak and at least on par with Benfica and out position in the group was just for our performances. Also, as you said, nobody could have predicted some of the results but the difference here is we'd need to have similar performances and huge luck in another 6 games against the very best in world football to reach the final! Of course we are in it to win it, I just know we won't! I really, really, really * hope that yous are all bringing this thread back up in a few months and throwing it in my face:50:

Haha, sorry - we shall meet Barcelona again in Wembley and a Tony Watt hat-trick will see us run out comfortable 3-0 winners :50:

11. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    If results go our way then we could face Malaga in the quarters, Valencia in the semis and Arsenal in the final. I honestly think we can win it with a bit of luck.

12. JC-X

I see you're trying to be a realist, but I gaurantee that you didn't give us a hope against Barcelona. Like it or not, we deservedly beat them and with a minute less of added time we'd have walked away with 4 points out of 6 against the greatest team ever to grace a pitch. Playing styles may be different but there's no one who comes close to being as much of a threat as Barcelona. Not saying it'll happen again but we have it in our locker.

13. JC-X

Personally, I'd fancy us to beat all of them.

14. CelticFC1967

Who said Barcelona was a 'fluke'? I merely stated we rode our luck, hugely, in both games. If you actually can't see that then their is no point debating it. Of course it was hard graft, of course the players gave everything for the cause, of course Forster was world class, of course we deserved to win the game and of course the manager, the players and everyone involved with Celtic football club are to be congratulated for a magnificent performance and magnificent result.

In control of the game away in Moscow? That's a bit far, the only parts of the game we were in control were the first half hour and after the sending off and it was a good performance. Just before the red card, we were merely coming back into the game having been a bit all over the place following the goal either side of half time.

Luck and hard graft only gets you so far, probably the maximum it'll get us is the last 8 and that's at the very most.

15. JC-X

Another thing I've thought about, say we were to win it (whether you think we can or not), would it be come close or maybe even surpass '67? Simply because we're so unfancied? In the late 60s/early 70s we had one of the top teams in world football... And considering money plays such a factor nowadays. We have the lowest budget in the competition.

16. WonderKid7144

If we are ever going to get to the final again this is our year with the team we have and the others we could face...Juve will probably be our hardest tie! only thing is i dont think we can knock out Juve

17. CelticFC1967

I'd say it would be a greater achievement given the way the world of football is now. 67 will always be more romantic in the sense that it was a group of locals boys that done it but they were genuinely the best team in Europe at that team in terms of quality - if we managed it this season we'd be doing it with a team that isn't nearly the best in Europe so it'd be a greater achievement.

18. JC-X

That's absolute nonsense. Do you think those 'quality' players got to where they were by innate talent? The top players are the ones who dedicate everything to the game.

Definition: Fluke - Unlikely chance occurrence, esp. a surprising piece of luck: "their triumph was no fluke".

Fair enough if you think we weren't in control in Moscow. However, Hooper was through on goal when he was brought down (I'd have fancied him to score but of course that would have required a huge element of luck, like the Spartak 'keeper scratching his baws at the wrong moment). Stonewall sending off. If you cheat, you don't deserve to win.

19. Glasgow_Bhoy88

More than capable of doing it...added to that fact 4 of the 'big' teams WILL crash out in the knockouts.

20. JC-X

I think that's where I stand as well. '67 will always be the most special, but I think this would be a greater achievement.