1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Tony Watt

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Luis1967, Apr 22, 2012.

Discuss Tony Watt in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. T.Rogne25

Certainly very raw at the minute but so much potential in him.

Pace, power, work rate, decent in the air and can finish.

2. flannybhoy

5 games 4 goals 1 start? Be insane if we let him go, we got him for 80k from Airdrie just last season, I would love him to start against Helsingborgs tomorrow night and let us see what he can do in Europe.

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    People seem to be using just his goals to judge him as a player. To be honest it isn't his goals I have been impressed with even though he has hit a few good finishes already in his short Celtic career.

It's his movement, his workrate off the ball, the way he reacts to players around him, his willingness to battle, his willingness to carry the ball, his desire to get into all the right positions and his link up play. Although we have only seen him next to Gary Hooper so far, who must be an absolute dream to link up with (he's always moving away from defenders and seeking the ball into feet), the one were he set up Hooper where Hooper should have scored was excellent.

He showed good feet, good strength, an excellent timing of the pass and the weight of the ball was perfect. That was all under pressure, at 18 years old.

4. AnnoniOnAnawNoo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    If he's average then I'm praying we can unearth more average players like him (and maybe even an exceptional one for good measure).

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Or a 'good' one.

I'm very happy with our youths at this moment, George, McGeough, Watt, Twardzik are all very promising. I think Twardzik's performance has been overshined but he did a very important, tidy and clever job in there on Saturday.

6. Celticnut

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc,Andy Hinkel,Georgios Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Looks a natural direct striker I think he's the real deal and Stokes place in the squad is seriously under threat now. Really excited about him and Twardzik.

7. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    The lad looks like a real natural in front of goal and hopefully he turns into a real quality player for us. But lets not get over board. It's one game. The lad is 18 and any team like Celtic looking to compete on all the stages we do with the heavy game load that comes with that knows it needs at least 4 senior strikers and maybe 1 younger one looking to break through.

Right now we have Hooper, Stokes, Murphy and Samaras can play up front although I think he really is best on the left of midfield. Plus Watt looking to break through. Bangura is away on loan. So we right now have the number of strikers I was suggesting. If we were to move anybody on I think it would be Murphy and or Bangura.

8. ConnellyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ľubomír Moravčík
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Awrite folks, was talking to my brother at the pub half an hour ago. Random meeting of siblings so we got to talking about the game tomorrow, i was saying i doubt Tony Watt would be playing a part due to the size of the game and the consequences of a major flop.

But he knows Tony's father and he was saying Tony was told by Lenny to get an ice bath tonight so it would seem that he might be a starter. I kind of hope so seeing as in the game he played he's shown more than our other strikers have shown so far this season lol.

Just thought i'd pass this on anyway.

9. Mr. Slippyfist

Cheers.

I definitely think Watt is a starter for tomorrow.

You have to go into games with your form players - Watt is on form and is totally fearless.

I have no doubt Lennon knows this young man is capable of holding his own and will play a big part in the game if he is chosen :50:

10. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Funny cos I actually didn't think Watt was gonna be one of our stars of the future, when looking at the youth team in nextgen games and so on last year.

There were a good few players I put above him but fair play to the lad he's obviously grabbed his chance and I would defo have him on the bench for Helsinborg. I wouldn't start him just yet purely because I don't think we need to.

11. ConnellyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ľubomír Moravčík
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley

There's a few injury doubts cropping up again, it might be a back-up preperation. I'm just passing on a message lol.

But in the end it doesn't really matter what any of us would do in Lennys place, we're no Lenny. lol :50:

12. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I don't think he will start. He is deserving of a start and could be trusted but I think Lenny will go with Hooper up front on his own, with Jimmy, Sammy and Kris supporting.

I still fancy Tony for a goal though when he comes on after 60 mins.

13. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    haha good point mate, but it's fun speculating and pretending!

Also this is a case of one man's disaster being another's opportunity. Sammy can't score (except for away in Europe!), Stokes is injured, and Murphy & Bangura are *, so young Tony has been given his chance and has taken it perfectly.

I hope he keeps progressing and I think he's at the right place for that, Lenny won't let him get complacent and if he ever gets too big for his boots guarantee Lennon would have no problems bumping him back down to the youths or reserves.

Tony seems to have a good head on his shoulders though and is a die hard Tim so i'm sure he'll keep trying hard and improving until we sell him for 19 million in 2014:celt_2:

14. gunt

Watching him closely, even is a short appearance you can see the guy is brilliant. Kind of puts me in mind of a young Viduka.

15. Coybig

My jaw dropped at that skill/turn thing he did, couldn't believe it.

16. JamieTheScot

Great piece of skill by him to keep the ball in play whilst running down the wing with a great cross at the end of his run. Played great for his first performance in the Champions League, also unlucky not to get a goal.

17. gunt

The guy is athletic, strong, has good control, brave and is a natural goal scorer but the thing I think is outstanding about him is his football brain. If he avoids serious injury he will be a great player for us.

18. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Reminded me a bit of Chris Sutton tonight, looks a serious player.

19. Bhoy Brian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    tis n guy has b future played well when he came on

20. Stobes1888

Well played by Watt tonight. Great piece of skill on the line and decent cross. Shame Hooper couldn't get to it.