1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Did the ref cheat?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Golden God, Mar 26, 2012.

Discuss Did the ref cheat? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. idlewildered

it's all a nonsense that cheating was involved. It did not happen. Both cards were fair shouts for red cards and I would have wanted them given if it was the other way around.

We have the morale high ground at the moment and the better future. I really don't want to see that tarnished by being sore losers but a lot of us are doing that just now.

We lost fair and square and anyone who says different needs to take a look at themselves.

2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Fair and square, so... They didn't score and offside goal? Or get away with elbowing Celtic players on the bak of the head or aome inexplicable tackles that weren't counted as a foul?

3. idlewildered

you're seeing what you want to see. If you think we never put the elbows up you're wrong. Granted they're better at it. They scored against us before and had it chopped off, which was a bigger decision than the offside there.

The game was pretty clean by their standards as well. They had the beating of us and definitely showed they wanted it more. Suck it up and enjoy winning the league.

Although with the name you've given yourself..........

4. smithy18

what goal was offside was it wallace or little

5. John_Bhoy

Nonsense

Do i think the referee was poor in his decisions? yes
    Do i thinkthe referee cheated? No

Scottish refs in general are very poor and i'm afraid we are not the only club to suffer their incompetence, nor will it be the last time.

6. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I believe there was dishonesty with the ref on Sunday, and I believe it is rife within our game.

I've said before that when someone is left with a split second decision, as referees are, then it is natural to give that decision in a way which favours yourself, especially in circumstances which are highly tense.

What we see in England and other European league's is referees often blowing the whistle then taking a moment or two to think about it, and chat through their ear-piece to linesmen, then show the yellow or red card. More often than not they get decisions correct by doing so.

In Scotland, the red card is whipped out before the "fouled" player has stopped rolling. Numerous times against Celtic we have saw red cards being almost thrust into their face. Take the 3 red cards on Sunday. Cha and Wanyama had theirs shown immediately, and in a kind of abrupt way by the ref. Bocanegra had his shown after the ref took a moment to think, and it was shown to him in an almost apologetic way (watch it again). Other random examples include Brown at Ibrox in the incident with Lafferty. The ref didn't break stride in showing Brown the red card, likewise Ledley at Tynecastle. Both not red cards. Countless other examples are there to see. More recently, Stokes in the cup final. Collum booked Stokes, so he is stating he clearly saw the player dive, yet photo evidence since has shown that Stokes was clipped by the defender from behind.

People can go onto phone in's etc and say "Aye but what about the 2 goals that were not given against Rangers and Hearts" Referees will never make that call of a ball being over the line in those circumstances, you have to be looking along the line, and if a linesman is in a position where he can't see it, then the call can't be given. There is a clear difference.

It's becoming very clear that we can predict before the bigger games that a "big decision" is going to be called against us, and how many times have we been right?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2012
  7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    We didn't elbow any of their players kn the back of the napper, if we did I would fully expect us to have our player sent packing.

Whittaker not even getting booked, so you not find that inexplicable? I have beef about our performance but the refereeing performance was also shockingly, shockingly bad.

Wallace was offside for the Little goal.

8. Vic the Brick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson/PVH/McNeil
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand Old Team
    No.

If that was the case, there would be no point is Celtic playing any games. I honestly believe if that was true, then the club would not stand for it.

The ref was pish. Most of them are pish. He was influenced by the bug hun crowd, as many refs are.

Just look at the Man U v Fulham last night. Stonewall penalty in the last minute and the ref never gave it.

9. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Do you think collum got it right last week in not awarding us a penalty?

10. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zsVTaGTENE"]Penalty Incident | Bhoys versus Gers (Sunday, October 24 2010) League Match - YouTube[/ame]

Impartial refereeing at it's finest. Will always be the same, when the huns need a good referee performance in there favour, they'll get it.

11. idlewildered

I'm sorry but I'm just not able to believe that instructions are given to referees before a game as to how it should play out. Particularly with the glare that is on Scottish football at the minute.

If you took a lot at every club in football, every decision that went against them, then you would find glaringly bad decisions and some excellent ones.

In a game that relies on the eyesight of nominated officials rather than consulting technology, that is going to happen. Maybe I'm just to niave in believing the institutionalised corruption isn't happening at the moment (it has in the past) within the SFA but that's my tuppence worth.

12. Vic the Brick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson/PVH/McNeil
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand Old Team
    We were pish before the sending off. They were a goal in front.

If we had been better and scored the first goal, it would have been different.

We lost the game because we were pish, nothing else. 2 weeks in a row. If you want to complain about last weeks penalty, why didn't we score and win the game before the last minute penalty claim?

I think we lost fair and square.

13. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I'm amazed there is folk saying both Collum and Murray were spot on. There was more contact in the Stokes penalty incident in the cup final than there was on Wallace in the Cha sending off... so how can they both be right?

14. idlewildered

well they're not, Stokes should have been a penalty and Cha possibly should have been sent off. It was potentially a goal scoring opportunity, but maybe the ball was too far ahead. I'm not sure.

I don't think anyone is saying that they were spot on. Personally, I'm just eager not to let us start thinking that the result was influenced by the referee. We were poor and need to pick ourselves back up.

15. smithy18

I don't think he was

16. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Some people are saying it though.

And he's not the only one.

17. idlewildered

it's just opinion. There is argument for both decisions being right and there is argument for both being wrong. I wouldn't get worked up about it.

18. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I've seen reds given in the EPL and elsewhere for incidents similar to ours, it's just the way football is now. The lack of fight and determination from the very start bothers me far more. We could have won the league FFS!!! where was the desire?

19. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I never at any point said instructions are given to them before games or any other time, and I'm talking about incidents involving Celtic only.

Is it a coincidence that only Celtic fans are "paranoid" about decisions? Why do we not hear the same questioning of decisions from, say, Rangers fans? Could it be they don't have many to question?

20. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I never realised I was getting worked up about it.

Maybe stick to debating the facts instead of guessing my mood :50: