1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Gary Hooper- Lack of consistency?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by glasgowcfcrory, Mar 21, 2012.

Discuss Gary Hooper- Lack of consistency? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    when I say that he needs to up his game a bit Im not saying he is * and I want him out etc just so people know. Im not one for getting on the players backs as I dont think it really helps the situation that much. There are a few players that annoy the * off me mind you but Hooper is not one of them.

I just feel he might need to miss out a few games so we can shake it up a little upfront too. Give Brozek or one of the young strikers a chance and let hooper have a bit of time out the team for a couple of games at least now that the league is done basically.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2012
  2. PeeKay Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Hooper is one of my favourite players at Celtic at the moment and I honestly think he is one of our best players. Although I don't think he gets the credit he deserves for his overall link up play, he seems to be judged by most of his haters solely on his goals. Recently the chances don't seem to be coming for him, maybe he is trying to come deep too much to receive the ball rather than doing what he is best at and playing on the shoulder of the last defender.

What I want to know from all the people who are saying they would sell him for £4 million, who are you going to replace him with??

3. GavCFC1

he might drift in and out of games and not get involved every game but with his goalscoring record I dont give a *

4. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    He's the best striker at the club and the only players on the planet who do score every game are Ronaldo and Messi, now I don't think we can sell Hooper and buy either of them.

Hooper, in bad form, still scores more than most players in good form.
    He'll be worth £15million to us in a couple years.

5. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Bang on :50:

6. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Im of the same oppinion also. I also agree with the person who said if we sold him for £4million who would we replace him with? the last thing we need is another Fortune (big money, big promise, little product) I strongly disagree with the idea of selling Hooper to fund a move Jordan Rhodes for the reason that there are no guarentees Rhodes will get as many goals for us, in the SPL than he has for Huddersfield. In essence your replacing a 20 goal striker with a player unproven at this level, for a similar fee. Hooper will always get goals and i strongly feel that in time we will get a profit on what we paid for him.

7. evilp3te

fans on here are so fickle. one day hes irreplacable the next hes lazy and *.

get a grip the guys goals to games ratio is superb, his passing and first touch has improved immensley and why folk are saying he is lazy is beyond me. stokes is the lazy one up front hooper must chase down the keeper 5 or 6 times a game. he has also scored some vital goals and has always been a massive threat to the huns. his shots to goals ratio is one of the best in the uk. im not saying hes the greatest striker we could have but my * some of the * on here about him is a joke. sound like spoilt fans to me.

8. Vic the Brick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson/PVH/McNeil
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand Old Team
    All strikers blow hot and cold. You can only hope over the season they have done their part.

20 Goals is a very good return.

9. MacEoghainn

I agree.

What's a "decent price", you reckon?

I love Neil Lennon, and I know it was tongue-in-cheek, but looking back his £35million price-tag comment was stupid ...

... and will likely ONLY force teams to say (privately): "Really? Let's low-ball these *."

10. derry_pele

Glad people Are finally realising this about hooper,
    don't get me wrong I rate hooper but he is very inconsistant
    and vastly over rated by some of us, stokes does more work
    can score the goals hooper scores where as hooper can't score
    the goals stokes does but hooper always gets the nod for
    the big games. Doesn't make sense to me.

11. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    This is very naive... how many strikers might we go through until we find a suitable replacement that will score us as much goals?? Especially due to the appeal to play in the SPL given the current state of the game in Scotland.
    He has had a dip in form and was very poor in the cup final. When Scott Mcdonald was playing with us lots of the fans were saying how lazy he was. But as soon as he left we failed to replace him and then everyone was saying how we missed his goals. weve got forwards on our books who dont score us goals and pick up good wages and ur talkin sellin Hooper, who does scores us goals. He will get over this dip.

12. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

20 goals so far this season, 42 goals in 77 appearances for us and people want him sold because of a dip in form.

:rofl:

13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Are posters really wanting him sold?

Who are we going to replace him with? Madness.

14. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I agree with you Sean. I don't get it at all. I am a huge Hooper fan. But I also recognise that like any striker he will have a dip in form. Well ok like any striker excepet Henrik Larsson:84:
    But you also have to look at the fact he is still only 23. Yound players go through growing pains at times as well. There is a reason why pro's peek career years are not 22 or 23 years old. Hooper goals per game ratio is already quality and I love the fact that he is happy and wants to stay at Celtic because alongside Stokes we could have a partnership that could grow into something very special for Celtic over the years.

15. MacEoghainn

I wasn't the one who said it, or suggested it ... read the whole thread.

What the * is this, "Gang up on the Scottish-Canadian Day?"

ALL I did was ask ... IF they DO end up selling ... what do you suppose Celtic will get? Whatever. Go back to your wee lives under your bridges.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2012
  16. Yoshi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Andreas Thom
    I see what your saying.

I dont want him sold but every player has its price, hope he returns to form soon

17. Scullybhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Easy Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I'm with you Sean. Think he should be subbed a bit more if he's not doing the biz but sell him? Ffs

18. slowburner

He's certainly had a dip in form the last few games and I think he was better last season. I think there's a few reasons for this though, some of his link up play with Commons last season I thought was scintillating with both of them creating goals for each other, the first goal in the 3-0 OF game and the game Lenny got attacked at Tynecastle are just a few examples that spring to mind. With Commons being well below par this season Hooper has lost a quality link up buddy and also heaps pressure on the strikers this season with Commons not scoring at all, he scored about 15 last season. Izaguirre as well down the left created a natural source of width as well as Wilson on the right last season but now we've lost both and Chuck/Matthews are not as good going forward, leaving really only Forrest as any sort of width in the team, he has also lost form recently, coincidence? Although it can't all be to blame, I think Hooper has certainly suffered all season from a lack of quality service. 20 goals this season and his overall scoring record for a 23 year old speaks volumes of this lads quality. I think if we get Izzy and Commons back firing like they were last season you might not only see a better Hooper but a better Celtic?

19. smithy18

got to agree with you on this one sean some loyalty from a section of our fans would go a long way

20. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Lol i wasnt even aware of ur nationality...?? It wasnt just aimed at u, i feel the whole idea of selling him due to a lapse in form, amid a 20 goal season and expecting a replacement who guarentees the same amount of goals is naive. I dont think they would sell him for less than 7.5m as supposedly we rejected 6m from southampton in the January transfer window.