1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Georgios Samaras

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by donnegal celt, Jul 17, 2011.

Discuss Georgios Samaras in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I love Sammy.

I would never use the word legend to describe him.

Saying that, he needs to get back up to pace. Hos first touch and running has been out since his injury

2. Frank Timatra

I believe Samaras is priceless and, like Mulgrew to a lesser extent, he is a player that is worth keeping both for commitment to the club aswell as for football reasons. Obviously if a crazy offer comes in then sell but he's invaluable, especially for the UEFA Champions League and we'd regret it big time, unless Peter Lawwell decides to actually stick to his word about spending as much as we take in, which in the case of the past few weeks and months, would be a lot.

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He still is not a legend

4. CelticFC1967

Definitely not a legend - talk about a word that gets thrown about too much! In the past decade, Lennon and Larsson are the only 2 I'd describe as real legends - the word loses its special meaning if everyone becomes one. Sammy is a good player for us - legends are people like the Lisbon Lions etc - people have went to extraordinary lengths or achieved extraordinary things for our club are real legends.

5. Frank Timatra

Neither are any of our current players. How's that relevant?

6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Because your thread title calls him a legend?

7. Frank Timatra

Can I just clarify that I'm not calling Samaras a club legend, it's just the title I felt was fitting in terms of his progression for Celtic and in the UEFA Champions League in particular.

8. CelticFC1967

I know what you mean mate:50:

9. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    He's not priceless by any stretch of the imagination. What would be a crazy offer??

10. Frank Timatra

If he was at his best in every game? He certainly would be a club legend but I can't deny that his lack of consistency domestically does hold him back. Oh and whoever realised that I didn't call Samaras an out and out Celtic legend, cheers. :56::50:

11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ah, I get you.

Just saying he's a good player? Don't think you'll get many disagreeing there.

What happened to the old Sammy thread? Biggest in CelticChat! It's not locked is it? :54:

12. Seosamh Máirtín

This post in particular cracked me up. Running at defenders and falling over, more like. Jinky, he ain't!

13. gunt

He is the name European and international teams always mark out as the dangerman for Celtic and Greece. That says it all IMO. His reputation is very good. His only flaw IMO is he is a confidence player in front of goal and his head can go down. A coach really needs to tell him to put is foot through the ball instead of trying to pass/side foot the perfect goal. If he was cool in front of goal with his feet he would be world class IMO

Other than that he is a superb player with a smashing attitude. People who say he is lazy are blind IMO. He should be captain simply because he represents the club with dignity IMO. You dont need the captain to be a snarly leader type when you have other player to do that. Broony IMO is a superb captain who would literally risk being a cripple for the team but while he is out Sammy would be a good captain of a different type but a good one none the less.

14. Frank Timatra

Perhaps I should analyse every word I use before typing but by 'priceless' I mean that in our current market - the SPL and Scottish football - we can't easily afford to get someone like Samaras that can consistently perform and score in Champions League games. A hidden gem that does the same job Samaras does would also be very difficult to find, however I'll leave that to John Park and his colleagues. For example, I wouldn't sell Samaras if we were offered £4.0million. I don't believe it would be worth it, especially with our board's prudency.

15. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Threads Merged

16. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Hah, dont worry, I wasnt intending to give you a hard time. I agree that he has shown his worth in recent months. And I wouldnt sell him for £4m either, in fact I dont think I would sell any of the side for that amount. :icon_mrgreen:

Luckily we are not in a situation where we need to sell just now.

17. Seosamh Máirtín

Not precisely, although we do have debt.

But if we want to continue to grow, we need to sell our players. Better to sell Samaras and sign a few other quality players with that money.

18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Sammy is worth more to us than he's actually worth

19. Frank Timatra

By the end of the season, we will have made atleast £20million which will surely have wiped out the tiny debt we have/had and would give Lenny a bigger summer budget for next summer. If we sell Wanyama for £15million plus then it would be fascinating to see what Lawwell does and if we will accept as much penny pinching next time round.

20. Seosamh Máirtín

Regardless of whether we sell or not, I always find it interesting to see how the club conducts itself during transfer windows.

I'm expecting a life-time of penny pinching. Miku-esque loan deals, freebies, and cheap guys with potential...more to follow, from Glasgow Celtic.

Having a cheap party in the CL. :smiley-laughing002: