1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Georgios Samaras

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by donnegal celt, Jul 17, 2011.

Discuss Georgios Samaras in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CelticFC1967

Have to say, I think I remember arguing with you a couple of years ago and I was saying he was * and you backed him to the hilt!:52: So my humble apologies, you were correct Sir!:50:

2. Ruxin

I was one of the many who slated him, but have to say I am finally beginning to appreciate his talents.

3. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

my favourite celtic player off all time excluding henrik of course i get his name on most of the tops since he's been here absolutley love the guy

4. oh bhoy

yes

he made no contribution in the last 2 european matches,
    im sayin if any of the rest of thoes players had played as bad as him they would have been sold long ago

i couldnt give a * what the sun or daily record say i have eyes of my own to see he gets away with pathetic performances

5. Frank Timatra

Georgios also comes across as a very humble guy that genuinely loves the club and understands what is required of being both a Celtic player and representative of the club.

6. Silenzio

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I think that must also be one of the reasons (main reason of course that he is a good player) why Lennon likes him so much and gave him all his trust when the majority of our support abandoned him.

7. Swervedancer Guest

It's the flashes though, they're Sammy Supernovas.

Not many players can get you bouncing about screaming like a groupie the way Sammy does.

Seeing his name on the team sheet gives me a real sense of optimism. You can picture him doing something special cause he never loses faith in his potential even after mistakes that would shatter the confidence of most mortals and often does the fans :31:

But he's been so worth it this campaign. He sparked the whole thing off with that Spartak header bottom corner last minute away from home. Like every Celtic fan I went absolutely berserk but it was then that I really started to realise I've been seriously underestimating Lenny. He looked different and the team looked different. I started to believe. :notworthy

Sammy made me have an epiphany :98:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2012
  8. Doire_Bhoy

I'm ashamed to say that I used to have little patience for Samaras. In his first couple of seasons I considered him to be a primadonna and a diver. :52:

Love him now though.

9. Celticbhoy17

while i disagree that he should be sold as he has contributed massively in some european matches, I do agree that he contributed absolutely nothing in the Benfica game and despite being at the barca game, can honestly not even remember if he played or not.

10. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    Take away his assists as well and we would be lucky to qualify the Champions League. He's so important.

11. Frank Timatra

Surely in a performance against Benfica that was disappointing, Samaras scoring surely counts as a contribution? The marking was terrible but he still had to be there to score from it and I'd say his performance against Barcelona wasn't flashy but was very disciplined.

12. Frank Timatra

Also I'm convinced that if Samaras had played in the home game against Benfica, he could have made the difference between it being a 0-0 draw and a 1-0 win, one example being if it had been him instead of Miku who tried to play the ball across goal to Hooper with an empty net waiting.

13. Rude Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kris Commons
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> It’s not that complicated.

Not everything is nuanced with an ulterior motive.

I wanted to know how many goals he had scored with his head. Therefore, my thought process was as follows:

Hmmm, I’d like to know how many goals Samaras has scored with his head

I think I’ll type this into the comment box

I’ll now click the post icon

Oh look, my post is now in the thread. That was easy.

I’ll wait for a response.

Oh look, some witty individual has decided that such questions must now be qualified with their intentions.
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

:smiley-laughing002:

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Kris Commons is the second highest assister at the club and the second top goal scorer.

I’m not interested in how a player being benched in a mere two games – whilst indeed a factually correct observation – is somehow a sign of him not being reliable or ineffective – or even more laughable, fundamental evidence of him being inferior to another player; when of course, there are a variety of circumstantial reasons why a player may not start certain games.

Those are the kind of 'facts', which are indeed meaningless, random drivel designed to suit a certain angle.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> EDIT: And can I just apologise for the crayon remark. I know someone who is disabled and who may happen to write with a crayon from time to time. In no way am I comparing him to you - that would be grossly insulting to the poor disabled chap :35:

14. DannybhoyCFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown, Roberts, Dembele, Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Joe Mcdonnell, Grace
    Haha :56: I'll let you off my friend, as I think I argued with pretty much everyone on the issue! :50: Since he's become consistent my post count doesn't increase as fast!

15. Frank Timatra

Rude Bhoy (appropriate name choice after every passing comment it would appear)

I'll have to take you on your word but surely if that was the case, you could have put your obvious issue with Samaras aside and first of all stated something even slightly positive about him scoring in 5 back to back away games in Europe, 3 in the UEFA Champions League group stage and 2 in UEFA Champions League qualifiers, and becoming the 11th man in our 125 year history to score atleast 9 European goals before stating a question about how many of those were headed goals, no?

Okay I'll put it to you. Of Commons and Samaras, who has made a bigger contribution to our season thus far, when you surely admit that the Champions League is the priority?

Is Commons record of 1 SPL/European goal - an opener in a defeat to St Johnstone - since August worthy of praise?

Is Commons' record of 0 goals and 0 assists in 5 UEFA Champions League appearances positive in your opinion?

On the contrary, is Samaras' record of 5 back to back away european goals positive in your opinion?

It is not drivel, it merely supports my correct assertion - based on 100% undeniable statistics - that Samaras 1) Deserves credit and 2) Deserves more credit than Commons. p.s Atleast admit now that Commons isn't close to being 'first on the teamsheet', no matter how apparently deserving of it he is. Using your logic, your stat of Commons being our 2nd highest scorer is drivel because you don't mention that 3/7 of his goals were in a CIS Cup (4th most important competition) quarter final at home to St Johnstone infront of 46,000 empty Celtic Park seats. This thread is for discussion about Samaras and not your inability to accept that the points I raised are accurate.

p.s Your disabled comment remark should be seriously looked at as an act of trolling, that is truly below the belt, even by your standards. You can't wriggle your way out of that one.

16. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Sammy has to be the best * player in history.

17. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Well put!! :icon_mrgreen:

Im not gonna be hypocritical here and declare my love for the big Greek but I will say that he has been an important player for us in the last 8/9 months. He is doing the one thing that has been missing from his game and that is scoring goals. Previously I would counter that he often flattered to decieve but that cant be said now.

I still think there are aspects of his game that are not strong, but hey,

Bravo Sammy.

18. CelticFC1967

Well I'm glad you aren't Celtic manager:56: I know, that * Samaras, scoring a goal! Only 1! Disgraceful player...

Embarrassing reasoning - his last 2 European games? Ooh you mean the home game against the best team in the world in which we must have had about 5 attacking moves of any meaning? The same game that Sammy was struggling to be fit for and played through the pain barrier for us? Benfica game - everyone was poor, we didn't play well yet he still scored a goal - sign of a good player that. Your logic would have us dropping about 8 players for the game on saturday...

19. CelticFC1967

Fair enough mate!:56:

20. Seosamh Máirtín

Aye, agreed. I'm all for this form, though, as I wanted him sold not long ago, and my opinion hasn't really changed.

Many fans on here see the sense in selling our players at the right time. Has there ever been a better time to sell someone?

Absolutely no way he'll become a legend, either. Maybe for Neil, but that's about it.