1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon **The Official Thread**

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Hughesie, Jan 21, 2012.

Discuss Neil Lennon **The Official Thread** in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. LB

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Hooper ,All Time -"Jinky"
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic song
    Keeping it real as normal Hammer :50:

2. imacdiar

Bet his wife/girlfriend loves him "dont be too optimistic about the future dear" and see that great * we could have lets not do it incase you have too high expectations the time after that .Lets enjoy the moment and imagine how good we can be and if it does'nt work out deal with it then.(one of my best times as a football supporter was in the ally Mcleod times and look what happened there,but it was good while it lasted)

3. LucasBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kris Commons
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Would love Neil to stay at Celtic and have the same success that Fergie had at Manchester United.

4. Lenny16

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over & Over
    DD said himself when questioned regarding lenny's new contract how long Lenny would be here for and did he not reply "a very long time" So it's clear that major shareholder wants him here the support want him here so why not be oor SAF a really good post there.

5. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

If Celtic keep progressing and progressing and Lennon has no reason to want to leave then I think he could be here for the next 10 years.

Football is a funny game though and who knows, maybe he'll be sacked within 2 or 3 years! I highly doubt that though. He's fast becoming one of our greatest ever managers.

6. MonitorBhoy

I've always wanted him as manager, and I defended him to the hilt. I feel he can stay as long as he feels necessary.

He is Celtic through and through. He is one of us. I think the only way he'll leave is being dragged out kicking and screaming.

GBNL

7. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    He showed he had the mental strength when he refused to be defeated by vermin trying to murder him.

Now he's improved his tactical awareness to go with his natural man-management and motivating skills.

The sky's the limit for Lenny.

8. Doire_Bhoy

Can't stand these sort of EPL-centric comparisons.

Sorry.

9. JC-X

Few people have been at a club for as long and been as successful as Fergusson at United so the comparison is a good one.

10. Doire_Bhoy

Fair point. I did consider deleting my post because it sounded petty but I really can't stand EPL-centric comparisons.

As another poster pointed out, you could just as easily ask if Lennon could be our era's Jock Stein or Willie Maley. (There have already been threads asking this.)

11. Sween

He will never have the same level of absolute success because we dont have the budget.

But I think he will be here for as long as he wants to stick around - which could be a while. I think he is a near shoe in for 4 in a row before Rangers return to the SPL and even then we should be in a very dominant position. A few decent champions league efforts during this period as well can help us keep our best talent, and attract a better standard of player.

It is more than possible Lennon could steer Celtic to a level of dominance in Scotland not seen before (including both 9 in a row efforts). It wouldnt be completely unreal that we could do a treble treble for the next 3 years. If he sticks around and keeps improving he could really go down as a Celtic legend.

12. JC-X

Nah, I know what you mean. Normally I can't stand it either. :smiley-laughing002: They're good comparisons as well. I don't think anyone will manage as long as Maley ever again though. His reign was extraordinary.

13. Doire_Bhoy

As I pointed out the last time this theme popped up a fortnight or so ago, since Jock Stein the longest period a Celtic manager has lasted is five years (MON) and four years (WGS). Managerial careers, with the exception of Ferguson (who in many ways belongs to a different era), Wenger and Moyes, do not usually last very long.

I hope dearly that Lennon can be one of the exceptions, but in the contemporary era five years at one club is considered an extremely impressive, unsual achievement.

14. Doire_Bhoy

Mathematically Lennon would have to manage Celtic until he was 86 years old to match Maley, so it's unlikely, especially given that the average managerial career is now far shorter than the average managerial career was when Maley was Celtic manager.

15. kennydal

Threads Merged.

16. murphy88

I can honestly hold my hand up and say that i always wanted Neil as our manager. A lot of people were saying it was the cheap option. Yes, it probably was, but it was also the best one at the time. There wouldn't have been many managers desperate to take over a team that Mowbray had just left behind. The other name that was being thrown around was Craig Levein. Now that would have been a disaster. We would have ended up with Garry Kenneth at centre half along with half the Dundee Utd team. There is no doubt Neil is becoming more tactically aware all the time. The other night against Spartak his subs were superb IMO. As soon as they went down to ten, he quickly took off both our players on a booking. He brought on pace and someone who will retain possession and is patient with the ball. Against ten men, that is key i think. Delighted with how far Lenny has brought us on, and long may it continue.

17. Sideshow Bob

I remember on this site when people had him sacked before he and his team had even kicked a ball. Yet in my mind I couldn't then and now think of anyone (except Lambert now in 2012) who could motivate and drive a Celtic team forward to the next level. And we have reached the next level because Lennon is breaking all sorts of records with Celtic, and long may it continue!!!

18. PaddyBhoy-1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    I think any doubts of him delivering in the big games should be put to bed with any doubters after the Spartak game.

19. monthehoops1888

Lenny is the * master:notworthy

20. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Another good thing is that he has seemed to have calmed down a bit on the touchline. Looks better for the club.