1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Should a person who is suffering from a terminal illness be able to end their life?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Lion1961, Dec 5, 2011.

Discuss Should a person who is suffering from a terminal illness be able to end their life? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

No, life is a gift and no human being is powerful enough to decide to take it...even if it is his or her own.

2. cormack 67

thank you thought a was on a rangers forum there its not for us to decide when our lives should end get tae chapel.

3. Lion1961 Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fenian Record Player
    Those who are mentally incapable whilst of sound mind of making their wishes clear should never be allowed to be euthanised.

Certain other safeguard checks should also be put in place to ensure that depression doesn't exist which can cloud a persons judgement.

4. Churchill

Yes, i think it should be a given right.

5. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Absolutely they should.Yes there are grey areas, and i personally would not sanction aiding death in such areas, but where a person is clearly of sound mind but in intolerable pain, surely even a * would not condemn helping such a wretched creature?

6. HectorTheTaxman Formerly The Spider

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    :97:

Because the majority of people that have voted and posted so far are pro euthanasia, that means it's a Rangers forum?

Not everyone on Celtic forums is a devout Catholic that believes everything the church says

7. cormack 67

8. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

A person who suffers from a terminal illness would invariably become depressed as a result of their poor quality of life, this in turn would affect their judgement.

9. Gordybhoy1967

:56:

10. monthehoops1888

I agree with this:50:

11. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I was only about 12 when my Pop was diagnosed with Alzheimers, but had already been showing episodic symptoms of this for perhaps a year before. He had been such an incredible presence in my life to that point, not least of which I owe my interest in football and more specifically without his influence I can safely say that I would be probably a Liverpool fan today. It was my Pop's insistence that whilst the Dalglish-inspired Liverpool sides were good, the Lisbon Lion's were even better!

To watch someone that I had admired for so long slowly shrivel was a tough thing to experience, and although I had been touched by death prior to this, all of those instances had been quite sudden in comparison, so this was the first time I had encountered protracted illness effect someone, effecting both their mental & physical capabilities.

Over the course of the next few years I gave considerable amount of thought to the subject of euthenasia, having stumbled upon the topic quite by accident. I would say I spend quite a disproportionate amount of time dwelling on this mortal coil, the balance of noble deeds & cruelties inflicted, of the human condition & the vagaries of nature intertwined.

Don't get me wrong, I never wished for my Pop to die whilst he was alive, but when he did finally pass he seemed somehow once again at peace, as though the better angels of his soul had at long last defeated the demons of his mortality. I would not say that it should be universal, but there are instances where I feel that the choice is there and those that are most effected by it should be able to make the choice.

I was quite a voracious reader in my teens and the works of Lord Byron were especially prominant in my regard. His poem, through his romanticized view of the world, has continued to crystalize (for the most part) my own views on the subject to this day.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When Time, or soon or late, shall bring
    The dreamless sleep that lulls the dead,
    Oblivion! may thy languid wing
    Wave gently o'er my dying bed!

No band of friends or heirs be there,
    To weep, or wish, the coming blow:
    No maiden, with dishevelled hair,
    To feel, or feign, decorous woe.

But silent let me sink to earth,
    With no officious mourners near:
    I would not mar one hour of mirth,
    Nor startle friendship with a tear.

Yet Love, if Love in such an hour
    Could nobly check its useless sighs,
    Might then exert its latest power
    In her who lives, and him who dies.

'Twere sweet, my Psyche! to the last
    Thy features still serene to see:
    Forgetful of its struggles past,
    E'en Pain itself should smile on thee.

But vain the wish? for Beauty still
    Will shrink, as shrinks the ebbing breath;
    And women's tears, produced at will,
    Deceive in life, unman in death.

Then lonely be my latest hour,
    Without regret, without a groan;
    For thousands Death hath ceas'd to lower,
    And pain been transient or unknown.

`Ay, but to die, and go,' alas!
    Where all have gone, and all must go!
    To be the nothing that I was
    Ere born to life and living woe!

Count o'er the joys thine hours have seen,
    Count o'er thy days from anguish free,
    And know, whatever thou hast been,
    'Tis something better not to be. [/FONT]

12. Maurveen

Its far to complex for me , when in pain, today is different from tomorrow , id not judge anyones personal decision , and hope * wouldnt either .

13. Sween

Yes. Never heard a sensible argument against it to tbe honest, and until you have to live a life with no quality and in constant pain with no chance of improvement, you have little authority to tell others if they can die in my opinion.

Of course there are many side issues if the person is insane, or unable to communicate, etc, but these are seperate issues.

14. Ache

Yes. Disgusting and horrific that anyone would think people should suffer for their selfish petty beliefs.

15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Yeah, that's why (along with abortion) it is the most debated topic in just about the entire world. :rolleyes:

Have you decided that for yourself or are you taking into account that other people have their own mind?

Look at The Prof's example, just for starters, as to why someone should not have the ability to pick and choose whether to live or die. If everything in the world were black or white there would be no issues but unfortunately that's not the case.

16. Heisenberg

Would rather care than killing

17. Alba Gu Bráth88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hooper & Stokes
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic symphony
    Yes. If one is suffering and there is only worse to come then they should be allowed to end their suffering in their own way and imo most dignified way.

If however it is a mental illness rather than physical then the answer is no. Help is readily available in these situations and tomorrow for all we know could be a brighter day.

18. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

I'm 100% for euthanasia.

19. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Agree there. I've already had my say on this subject so won't repeat myself.
    I've already told my parents that if I were to be re-diagnosed and it were terminal, although euthanasia isn't legal here (yet), I told them I would refuse treatment as that just prolongs the inevitable and leads to a poorer quality of life in the last days of your life.
    Not euthanasia, but a clear-headed choice to live out last days on yor terms. And trust me if it came down to it, (doubt it will) but I would be do it without hesitation.

20. Heisenberg

It's not as clear cut as to yes and no, too many different factors as Prof says, what if they can't communicate to make the decision, what if they're mentally incapable of it, what if the illness is very early on and they choose to die etc etc