1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

School/Uni Help Thread

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by The Golden God, Nov 10, 2011.

Discuss School/Uni Help Thread in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

Tags:
  1. HectorTheTaxman Formerly The Spider

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I don't understand why anyone would want them after Christmas. Surely it makes more sense to do them when the information is fresh in your mind rather than having them 4-6 weeks after your final class. Also it means that you can enjoy your Christmas/New Year without always having the thought in the back of your mind that you'll need to start studying for exams at some point

2. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    I actually don't mind doing them afterwards, there is plenty of time to enjoy christmas, doesn't mean you cant do 1-3 hours of studying in between over a couple of weeks.

This change doesn't affect me anyway since i am in 4th year, although might if i get into a masters next year.

3. GAA_Celtic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No
    I had exams after Christmas, it gives you the extra time to revise.

4. Soul Rebel

Fav Celtic Player:
    Commons/Sammy/Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony & Toy Town
    I'm just finishing my second year at college and also went back after 4/5 years working, how did you find the youngsters? I'm doing better now than I ever could have had I gone through with it all when I first should have, what stopped you doing it after school? What uni you at now?

5. tinyheadbhoy

At Strathclyde uni we have just had a referendum on having our exams before Christmas instead of after. Exams after Christmas is horrendous and the difference between the average marks of exams in January and may is absolutely staggering.

6. HectorTheTaxman Formerly The Spider

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    This doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

7. GAA_Celtic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No
    Uni year starts September/October. Exams before Christmas gives you little time to prepare given that the first semester is usually 12 weeks. All the lectures won't have been completed until around the second/third week of December. Am I missing something?

8. Seán_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Yes. Uni here starts in September. Usually early in September, but it's not uncommon for term to start around the 21st as well. We, for instance, have 11 weeks of classes and then a full 10 days break before the exam diet begins. There is plenty of time to study. And, more to the point, most students prefer it that way.

9. HectorTheTaxman Formerly The Spider

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    My course starts the second week of September. Runs for 12 weeks but lectures finish in week 10 with a revision lecture in week 11. So first semester would have finished November 13th or around then. This gave me 3 weeks to study. I much prefer this to finishing in December, going on holiday for 5-6 weeks then coming back and doing exams

10. tinyheadbhoy

It really depends when the semester starts. Those with exams before Christmas start about 2 to 3 weeks before those that don't. You may be correct about not having enough prep time however I think I would rather a week solid of revision/ exams than having a few weeks celebrations and straight into exams.

11. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    You don't go straight into exams, they are the last 2 weeks of January, if you are lucky they are almost a month after christmas, plenty of time to study as well.

12. GAA_Celtic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No
    When I was at uni Semester started around 21st September, we would then have lectures for 12 weeks and then we would have between 18th Jan- 28th Jan for exams, and start the next semester around 3rd Feb. From my own experience I thought that was enough time to plan my revision and so on and get on with it. Usually by the end of first semester in yr 1+2 I would have been doing 4 modules and on top of that I would have stats exams...third year was a * because of thesis. To be honest, it did not bother me at Christmas/NY because I never started revising till 3rd Jan anyway :smiley-laughing002:

I suppose there are perks to having exams before or after Christmas, even though from my experience having them before Christmas would have put me under a * of a lot of stress and when it came to going into exam hall I would have been saying "I wish these exams were in Jan instead" lol

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2013
  13. tinyheadbhoy

The last two years I have come done from Shetland and had 4 exams in one week from about the 6th. It doesn't always happen but it can and is horrible when it does.

14. Kollontai COYBIG Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Anyone familiar with the SPSS statistics program?

Complete headfuck.

15. Sween

Is it like an excel equivalent made by IBM? I know of it but never used it.

16. Kollontai COYBIG Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Yeah it's essentially just a program that analyses data sets and produces graphs, charts, etc.

I'm weak in Quantitative methods, no idea what I'm doing.

17. Seán_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I used it last year a few times. Not bad as long as it's used properly.:50:

18. Sween

I use Bloomberg, Excel, and LIM for Quants. But Id imagine it all does the same stuff. Give me a shout if there is anything I could help with.

Is this part of a uni course?

19. Kollontai COYBIG Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Could you tell me how I would look comparatively at two data sets over a period of years?

For context, I'm using data from the British Election Panel and I'm trying to find out whether readers of Tory newspapers voted Tory in 1992 but then voted Labour in 1997 due to the partisan shift of their newspaper.

20. Kollontai COYBIG Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Thanks Sween, I appreciate it.

I'm doing my dissertation and I'm seeing my advisor on Wednesday who primarily uses SPSS, so he wants it done on that. I did a Quant class last year but can barely remember anything useful from it.