1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Charlie Mulgrew

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Liam Scales, Sep 26, 2011.

Discuss Charlie Mulgrew in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dáibhí

You do know that what's actually happened is the exact opposite of what you're saying, don't you?

Mulgrew believed he'd finished his time at Celtic in the summer, had cleared out his locker and was on his way until our new manager reached out and asked if he'd be happy to remain for at least one more season.

Nothing has been decided yet, but Mulgrew isn't "hanging on" or "can't let go", he's here because the manager still wants to work out a deal with him before the window closes.

2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

:97:

I may have missed something but Rodgers said in a press conference a few weeks back that Mulgrew asked if he could train until he gets a new club and Rodgers agreed to it because he's been a good servant and because Mulgew is a "good guy". Nothing to do with Rodgers wanting to give him a new deal.

3. Dáibhí

I read a quote from Mulgrew that said that he'd basically left but had come back to see if he could "work something out" after Rodgers reached out to him and told him he wanted him to remain for another season :97:

4. wanyama1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/Victor Wanyama
    Brendan says a couple weeks ago that Mulgrew was only training with us to keep his fitness up until the end of this window. As it doesn't matter to Mulgrew anyway that he's a free agent so he can join a club anytime he wants.

We no longer need him, we have Toure, Erik, Simunovic, O'Connell, Ambrose and even Lustig and Ajer who can play CB. We have Tierney and Izzy for LB and in MF we have.....well who cares because Mulgrew will never be seen in our MF again thank *.

I've no problem with him training for fitness but it just always seems hes hanging about trying to angle for a contract because he knows the only way is down for him after us.

5. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

From the 5th of August:

BR on Charlie Mulgrew training with the club: "Don't know Charlie that well but what I do know is he was a good servant to the club."

BR on Charlie Mulgrew: "His contract was up, he was looking to negotiate with the club and unfortunately those negotiations stalled." (MH)

BR: "Without a club & he asked if he could come in and train for a few weeks until something happened further down the line." (MH)

BR: "By all accounts, he's a good guy, and from speaking to him a few times, he's a good guy who wants to work and train well."

BR: "He's been a good servant to Celtic here and I have no problem in helping out good people like him."

6. The Celtic Way

The window means nothing to him
    Or us on this subject he is a free agent is he not, people forget all the good mulgrew has done for us, and just how bad a manager we had last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Dáibhí

Ah, right. So he basically couldn't reach an agreement on a new deal with the club then? That's fair enough.

That doesn't quite fit with the notion that he's been told to beat it and is hanging around in denial though, does it?

I knew that Rodgers wanted to keep him for another season, but it seems that he's maybe asking for too much money or more likely wants a deal that's longer than a year.

He'll end up at a Championship club most likely then.

8. wulliebad

so he came back to try and work something out for another season but turned down the two season deal because he was reportedly wanting 3 years......don't sound right to me.

9. wanyama1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/Victor Wanyama
    Which was why I said Rotherham. Or Hibs.

10. Dáibhí

I think he's been offered a one-year deal and wanted longer, which would make sense after Rodgers said;

“Obviously it’s probably the last contract of his career, so he has to make sure he’s making the right choice for him and his family.”

Sounds like he's been wanting a longer term but the club haven't been keen on it.

11. Dáibhí

No, you spouted some * about him being cringeworthy and unable to let go or something. That's clearly not the case.

12. wulliebad

thought he was offered 2 and wanted 3......so many stories flying about.

13. Murph-E

Daibhi fairly making an * of it here.

14. Dáibhí

I'd read in The Scotsman and suchlike that he was offered a one-year deal, but like you say, who really knows?

What is for sure is that Rodgers liked the look of him and wanted him to stay.

15. kramer1 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Sammy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I'd really like to see Charlie see out his career with us. He may not be a first team pick, but he has the ability to play back up in a number of positions, and he loves the club.

16. celticstanley

Fav Celtic Player:
    Moussa Dembele
    Signing for Blackburn Rovers today according to The Sun

17. avitar Gold Member Gold Member

Blackburn are absolutely * at the moment but i dare say he should get a good pay day out of it. if i was him i would have sounded out a move to china or usa

18. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Decent move for him, even though Blackburn look doomed.

19. shendr18

Good move team up with wes brown in defence and has stokes there.
    Stokes and mulgrew both big players in the Kilmarnock game so hopefully have passion and desire to stay up

20. TicFan88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Rovers are scumbags. * em, hope they definitely go down. They'll lose a lot more of their ridiculous glory supporting fan base from 20 years ago.