1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The board are taking us for fools

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by KEVG, Sep 19, 2011.

Discuss The board are taking us for fools in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Coatbridgebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team
    I get the gist but gonnie use some paragraph`s next time :icon_mrgreen:

2. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    It's all pretty straight forward. You stand a better chance of winning the League when you buy in quality players. We brought in a bunch of players that were never going to improve the first 11.

I doubt this would have happened had DD told Lawwell, this was his final chance to win the League as CE.

3. idlewildered

4. Celtical

I've just read through this thread and must say I agree with the OP.

One thing that hasn't been said (at least I haven't seen it) is the winner of the league this year gets guaranteed CL qualification and with it the millions of pounds as well as the prestige that goes with it.

There's some fans who still think we gonna win the league this year with squad we have. They probably ones who thought that last 3 years. Maybe we will BUT maybe we won't AGAIN.

I think we need to spend in January. If we don't and they win 4IAR and entry to CL then what???

5. DanniGhirl

Disagree with the bit in bold, I think there are actually three schools of thought in the support:

1. those that think the board should just spend, spend spend and DD should just finance everything himself

2. those that think the board are perfect and are doing all they possible can within such tight financial restraints.

3. those that are glad we are being run in a financially sound manner but that believe the board are being just a wee bit too prudent and risk averse and that a little additional spending on one or two players who would improve the first 11 isn't too much to ask for.

I'm firmly in the third group.

We can afford to run with a certain level of debt, being debt free isn't the be all and end all, especially at a time when the cost of financing debt is so low.

6. Celtical

I'm in the third group too. :50:
    Maybe we will push the boat out again next window and try re-sign Willo Flood :86:

7. Skydiver

That's the way I feel too Danni, i.e. I'm in the 3rd group also.

Perhaps someone can explain to me why we have spent well over 2m on a striker to play him in the last 10 mins of games? I appreciate people need time to settle but if this is the top end, maximum calibre of player we are getting in through the doors then they should either be starting, or getting much more game time.

8. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

I'm certainly not in group two but somewhere between 1 and 3. I hate seeing us buy unkown players for over the 1 million mark or guys like Murphy for just under who was never going to be the answer.

Rangers went out and bought a 4 million quality front man and we can't cope with him. We're bringing in too many players and not enough with the quality needed.

9. Lion1961 Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fenian Record Player
    '3. those that are glad we are being run in a financially sound manner but that believe the board are being just a wee bit too prudent and risk averse and that a little additional spending on one or two players who would improve the first 11 isn't too much to ask for.'

Have to say I'm firmly in the group 3 thinking also.

I also hate to burst people's bubble but winners of the SPL do not currently get automatic qualification to the CL group stages. Winners will get to play in the last round of qualifiers via the Champions route. So no guarantee of the CL millions.

10. Bratfurdbhoy1

Yep- it is a fact of life- sometimes we are good sometimes we are bad!!!!! Not very constructive I know- but to the point!!!!!

11. Vic the Brick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson/PVH/McNeil
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand Old Team
    Our fault, the boards fault, Lawell's fault and Lennon's fault. The reasons? We all, if we're honest, allowed a novice to manage the team, assisted by a novice and supported by other novices. We strengthened well the first year, then we took our foot off the gas, thought we had enough and underspent.

Celtic have always punched above their weight. Why are we now punching below? We are still a cash rich club. Everyone tells you players and managers don't care about their careers anymore and go where the money is. We should have a better manager and a better defence. It's that simple.

For the fourth year in a row, we are throwing the huns a lifeline. By underspending and believing we are better than we are and by believing that they are worse than they are. We should be burying a club that's clearly on it's knees.

It's everyone's fault. The last few weeks, we've all been more interested by off-field money issues at another club, than on-field displays on our own park. We have took our eye off the ball. Time to get back to sorting out our own mess.

12. frank67

Fav Celtic Player:
    kayal
    We should have buried them when we were going for 4 in a row by buying steven fletcher thats what we needed a striker just to finish them but naw we end up with willo * flood its a disgrace they are not giving lennon adequate funds to succeed. The pressure will be on the if we dont when this league.

13. frank67

Fav Celtic Player:
    kayal
    Im a fan of lennon and even if he was to leave who would they bring in? when strachan left the best we could do was to appoint mowbray. nobody would touch the celtic job at the moment .

14. Rosleabhoy

Rangers never spent much and are ahead of us...comfortably.

Lennon has been allowed to bring in something like 17 players and is still someway from matching Rangers.

15. frank67

Fav Celtic Player:
    kayal
    ROSLEA he had to buy a whole new team for about 10 mil when mogga left

16. Vic the Brick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson/PVH/McNeil
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand Old Team

I know that, but, there are people in the game with proven track records that would come.

I do not wish to see Lennon fail. I really hope we turn things around and win the league. But, as usual, Rangers still look strong and are surely favourites to retain the title. In that occurence, Lennon would have to go. I hope the board and Lawell carry out a behind the scene sounding out of potential replacements for that possibilty. I hope they start now and continue all season. Not openly and in Lennons face of coarse. He should know that it's just good business practice to have a plan B.

I hate to think they could get 4 in a row, but it just seems exactly what will happen cause they do it decade after decade. They are always sucessful.

I * hate that we clearly have the bigger global brand, more fans, less shame and clearly more money. Yet, time and time again they lift the title.

Something needs to be put in place now, so that if this term does not work out, we are not a million miles behind the pace again.

Let's all hope the EL money is spent on some quality that could win us the league. We all know how well we performed after Commons came in. We might not have even been in with a shout had he not came and performed as he did.

17. Rosleabhoy

He has brought in players fans now claim to be worth millions of pounds...kayal, ledley, izzy.

He got Wilson on a bosman which was good business (i hope).

Hes been able to build a team and pay wages of players like Commons who had the choice of going to Rangers. He has been backed.

This team should be good enough.

18. Rosleabhoy

Who with a "proven track record" would come in?

19. frank67

Fav Celtic Player:
    kayal
    we need more money spent on the first team we have not been buying to improve we have a defence out there with the value of £0 some weeks the board have to take a proportion of the blame IF the huns win the league

20. frank67

Fav Celtic Player:
    kayal
    wilsons woeful mark my words and we will just have to agree to disagree on some points roslea :50: