1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The board are taking us for fools

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by KEVG, Sep 19, 2011.

Discuss The board are taking us for fools in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Heisenberg

Rangers have spent an absolute fortune in Smith's second spell with them:

Kevin Thomson - £2m
    Beasley - £0.7m
    Carlos Cuellar - £2.37m
    Lee McCulloch - £2.25m
    Whittaker - £2m
    Daniel Cousin - £1.1m
    Naismith - £2m
    Andy Webster - £0.5m
    Kenny Miller - £2m
    Velicka - £1m
    Kyle Lafferty - £3.25m
    Bougherra - £2.5m
    Pedro Mendes - £3m
    Steven Davis - £3m
    Maurice Edu - £2.6m
    Beattie - £1.25m
    Jelavic - £4m

Total spending under Smith: £35.52m

Oh but Rangers were skint under Smith...

And that's not including loan fees for Weiss etc...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2011
  2. khunter1981

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    I agree with this post completely. Regarding the releasing of players though; I think the problem is that in order to do so we would have to buy out all, or a portion of the contract that they're on which would cost money up front. When we're already in a position of digging up change to bring in new players we can't afford to spend any money to pay to release the players that we currently have. I think you're right that we should be accepting some debt to invest in the future of the club but I think the board are likely shy to do this after what happened under Mowbray. The ammount of dead-wood a the club is a direct result of having three managers in the past four years; everyone wants their own players. If we hold onto the same manager for the next few years (which I admit is probably dependent on winning the title this year) then we'll see the contracts of those dead-wood players run out, their financial burden disappear and more funds being available for investment. All it'll require is the continued excellent work of our scouts to ensure that future funds are invested wisely.

3. DanniGhirl

4. Silenzio

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The board could also spend 50M quid on one (1) player and end up with:

[​IMG]

Clubs that spend a lot of money will of course, in the long run, end up higher in the tables, but it is not all about spending money. And there is no way anyone can be sure that we could have gotten 4IAR if Celtic has spend more money on players.

5. St Patrick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy McCourt, Paddy Roberts, Sammy, Edouard
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roamin' in the Gloamin'
    Moyes has always said he wants to manage Celtic and he isn't getting any younger, I don't accept the argument that the next manager has to be some cheap SPL figure. We are a big club who should be looking to attract a good calibre of coach. But that's an argument for another time.

I agree that transfer window three years ago will go down in folklore. It was * insanity not to sign someone, anyone, who could get a sniff of a goal. If we'd won the league that year I believe they would have gone into administration.

WE GIFTED THEM THE LEAGUE THREE YEARS RUNNING PLUS HANDED THEM THIRTY MILLION QUID CHAMPIONS LEAGUE MONEY.

6. DanniGhirl

Pretty much agree with that, although I do think we could have afforded to get rid of a few of the deadwood but I agree we couldn't afford to get rid of them all.

I'd imagine it's written into most players contract how much they'd have to be paid off if they were released so it could have been budgeted for pretty accurately.

The board are playing a risky game though by not investing sufficiently in the team, of course all investment comes with its own risks but we could and should have done more to bring the title home. Like I said in an earlier thread I still think we will win the league this season and therefore some of this problem will solve itself as you say the deadwood's contracts begin to run down but I still think the board are being just too risk averse for my liking.

7. khunter1981

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Agreed. Honestly though, all I want is two players; a big, physical forward to hold up the ball and a dominant center-half. I don't know what those two things would cost, unfortunately. Outside of that I think we're be sorted. Whether we can get each of those for $3-4 mil a piece is unlikely I guess, though first option on that Baba Diawara sounds like a good start for the striker. If we can either get in a center-half or get the boys we have to start playing with some confidence I'll be completely happy.

8. KEVG

there is nothing stopping this club going out and signing 1 or 2 centre half and a target man at a budget of 10 million .

were bringing in 4 million now in europa league money that wasnt there a week ago and winning the league will bring revenue for next season along with ( most importantly ) lifting the fans who will renew their season tickets

9. eddiemcd1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larson
    For the past three years rangers have on their knee's financially and still win the leaugue
    This year the board announced we are virtually debt free...but we have a team with no heart and sorry to say this a manager who appears not to have a clue when it comes to team selection or tactics...

10. KEVG

we may go onto win the league this year but the board will spend the least amount possible trying to do it Danni

i think we need to protest

11. alsybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc, larrson,lubo,jinky,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing,ynwa,sean south,on the one road
    aye there is!
    1-have we got 10m?

2- do these players you are thinking about want to come to celtic?

3- we struggle to attract these type players cos folk keep slating our league.

4- and really which player gets a hard on now a days over the europa league ffs

12. KEVG

1. yes

2.wont know until we try

3.better than no europe is it

ill turn it the other way . can the board afford not to win the league this year . is it not a better idea to spend to accumulate ?

13. alsybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    and you have the hard hitting evidence that we do have 10m as you refer to?

14. KEVG

well we have 4 million straight away from europa league money that we didnt have last week . im sure we could spend 6 million since we have no debt .

what do you suggest then ? sit back and put up with the * we are seeing week in week out ? miss out on the success WE PAY for ?

Far too many supporters just prepared to accept whats happening and go along with it

15. wulliebad

To many supporters think spend spend spend is the way to do things.:rolleyes:

16. KEVG

no point in spending if the structures not right .

but the structure isn't right because the board went for cheap management

17. CMcphail88

Would you be saying all this had we avoided defeat yesterday?

18. alsybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    actualy 5m for europa and not counting ticket sales! just cos we have that doesnt mean we can go out and * it away straight away. you have to remember we need to get a quality player for an affordable price with affordable wages because there is hee haw money up here. and spending 10m to just bring sunshine and happiness to folk who demand it just doesnt quite work that way.

we are in a a hole just now finacially(scottish football) and all teams are trying to spend less and try and sign decent players aswell. its hard but do able if you look hrd.wages are the key to signing of a player now! and with countries like england splashing the cash at all levels! what the * can we do?

19. KEVG

yes ive been saying it for 3 years

20. KEVG

try harder . do you think signing free transfers etc is the way forward . lets face it if these players are surplus to requirement at lower league clubs in england there no good to us