1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Paddy McCourt

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Heisenberg, Apr 30, 2011.

Discuss Paddy McCourt in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

But he hasn't.

He is a squad player & doesn't even make the subs bench all the time.

2. Frank Timatra

In the past 4 years Paddy McCourt has made a total of 77 appearances returning 10 goals. 50 of his appearances came during the period when Rangers won 3IAR and last season, when we won the league for the first time in 4 years, he didn't start a single SPL match. He has been in contention to start in 25 odd European games and he has started just one: An average run out against Rennes. In 10 Cup Finals and Semi Finals during his time at Celtic, he has made just 5 appearances and every single one of them was from the bench with 20-30 minutes to go.

Without question he has natural talent, good close control and without pressure from opposing defenders he can pass the ball well. However he cannot be trusted from the start of matches, which all 3 of his respective Celtic managers have indicated, and has poor fitness for a professional football player of 28 years. For a winger he can't cross the ball well, he is incredibly slow and he has no signs of being able to "rough up" an opposing player. He only really had a good spell in the first team between December 2010 and January 2011 - Including a good appearance at Ibrox - but Kris Commons' arrival and immediate success effectively killed his Celtic career. Infact it could be argued he was at his best under Mowbray ala wonder goals against Falkirk, St Mirren and St Johnstone. All of these faults may be accepted if he was 19 but on the contrary, in 6 weeks time he will turn 29 years old.

Despite this, he is arguably our most popular Celtic player. The Green Brigade have carried on an end of season May song of "Don't sell McCourt" into November, judging by todays game at Tannadice. Off the top of my head he has 3 songs ("Don't sell McCourt", "Pat McCourt's * army" and an official Paddy McCourt song, which has even been sang by the Thai Tims). I'm afraid he has become an unofficial mascot for the club, however I'm sure he is paid much more than Hoopy.

I certainly wish Paddy all the best in every appearance he makes from now on but personally I can't wait until this charlatan is shown the door either in January or next summer. It won't be soon enough.

3. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

A charlatan:97:

because he isn't quite good enough to cement a place in the team & the fans sing his name for some banter ?

4. Frank Timatra

In a footballing sense yes, I would describe McCourt in said way. It may be harsh but it is my opinion.

5. CaseyBhoy

Never understood that one especially when he lines out to gstq with the Windsor Park Rangers.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2012
  6. Dallas Cowbhoys

I don't particularly like him as a player...and don't understand the adulation he receives....maybe because he flatters to deceive but that's a bit patronising.

I don't mind having him in the squad....what I do mind is him getting game-time ahead of the likes of McGeough who can go on to become much better players.

7. paddyahern44

Let's just wait untill the Barca game. If Paddy nicks the ball of Messi in our half and dribbles up the pitch, scoring the winner, he can stay. If he only comes on at the 87th minute and we lose, he can go * himself.

Seems reasonable.

8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    People seem to be forgetting McGeoughs injured...

9. James Gold Member Gold Member

Please sell Mccourt
    Paddy Mccourt
    I just don't think you understand
    That if you keep Mccourt
    Paddy Mccourt
    Yer gonna have us cryin in the stands

Seriously though i wanted rid along time ago not my cuppa tea

10. DannybhoyCFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown, Roberts, Dembele, Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Joe Mcdonnell, Grace
    We wouldn't get anything for him, so we may as well keep him. A handy player to have.

11. md1981

Not basing this on yesterday, as I think the whole team switched off at the end.

Never been a fan. He is undoubtedly a talented player, with a fair amount of skill, just dont think he is suited to our team. I think the tempo and way that we play isnt suited to McCourt. He slows the play down, not saying that is his fault, just the style of player that he is. Too often in his Celtic career, he has been the Hail Mary option when we need a goal. Also think, if he was a player that the club really rated/relied on he would feature more. Lennon etc obviously see something in training that shows he isnt a starter/regular in the squad. Also, I know this will draw some negative comments, if he was from England/Wales he wouldnt be given the adulation he gets. Again, this isnt an attack on McCourt just an opinion. Think its better for him if he moved on, he will never be a regular for Celtic and at 29, he needs to play.

12. MaaaaaarK

Fav Celtic Player:
    Efe ambrose
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    It's a bit of banter ppl get over urselfs

13. LucasBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kris Commons
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    We never seem to play in this kit at all. Stick to the hoops and the black hoops from now on. :50:

14. LucasBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kris Commons
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Banter doesn't go well down here mate. :50:

15. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

FFS, stop blaming bad results on a * strip, it's nonsense. :56:

16. Clondara Dave

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Coronation cup song
    Huge contradiction there.

char·la·tan (shär[​IMG]l[​IMG]-t[​IMG]n)n. A person who makes elaborate, fraudulent, and often voluble claims to skill or knowledge; a quack or fraud.

I have never heard Paddy claim to have great skill or be the best player we have.

The fact is he was signed in 2008 and is still here, he has played for Strachan, Mowbray and now Lennon. He hasn't been used a lot but is obviously a player that 3 succesive managers rate enough to start occasionally and occupy a place on the bench where a manager has to choose carefully due to limited places.

Paddy is a fan living the dream, does his best when called upon. How hard it must be to only get at most 20 minutes of a game to try and settle in and make an imact?

Players need game time, unfortunetly Paddy is down the pecking order so isn't going to get a start every week, only making it harder for him to make an impact (look at how Miku has struggled to find the net because he was in and out of the team) For people to then turn round and call him a charlatan is laughable, bordering on disgraceful.

What would you like him to do, turn round when Lennon reads out the team and say don't pick me boss :97:, the fans might chant my name and put the rest of the team off!

17. Colmcille74

Fav Celtic Player:
    Craig Gordon and previously Paddy Mc Court and Packie Bonner
    lol, pretty much sums up what Paddy will have to do to please some people:50:

18. ORIGINALS

Not really, he hardly ever plays and when he does, he doesnt really do much.

19. Celtic abu

If Paddys happy to stay, I am more than happy for him to stay as well. If Kris Commons gets injured, we don`t really have a creative player to fill in. Paddy could do it. He is obviously a good influence around the bhoys. He would have been moved on if he wasn`t. Hope Provo Paddy ends his career with us. We`re striving to maintain a good squad with good competition

20. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I agree with you that he should be kept - he is most probably on low wages anyway - but he hasn't really done much of note in his last few cameos.

I would like to see wee Rab get a chance if a creative player is to get the last 15 mins.