1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

1 in 10 Scots 'think sectarianism in football is acceptable'

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Artur Boruc #1, Sep 4, 2011.

Discuss 1 in 10 Scots 'think sectarianism in football is acceptable' in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. FoleyBhoy87

Fav Celtic Player:
    Izzy!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA!
    why would i approve, but if we can sing so can they. for the most part 99 percent of us say this stupid * at football but dont allow it in our everyday life. some of my best friends are "orange *" for 360 minutes a year but my best mates for the rest of them time.

its a minority of morons i.e. 1 in ten.

i think the OF get a bad rap for this tbh, there are worse derby games worldwide who don't recievehalf the condemnation we do.

2. Bunk Moreland

I couldn't give a * about it to be honest, what's the point in trying to stamp out sectarianism at Scottish football grounds when the problem lies in Scottish society itself? If the government is serious about the problem then they should make a start by banning orange walks where thousands of bigots line the streets half-* and spout their bile while watching some idiots march to commemorate a battle that happened in the 17th century, but no, according to them the problem lies at football grounds. I've never been offended by anything those * at Ibrox sing, I just think they're a shower of * and if they did stop singing their bigoted * one day, I'll still think they're a shower of *.

3. made in ireland

once again, to me that's deluded and/or burying your head in the sand.

neil lennon was sent a live bomb in the post- days later celtic played rangers at ibrox where the abuse for him didn't subside out of sympathy. it got worse, 50,000 people chanting at him 'what's it like to live in fear?'. it didn't sound like a minority to me. the scottish media coverage which tried to lay blame (even a small part )at his doorstop perhaps sums up the whole issue perfectly, and evidently shows the problem scottish society has.

then there is the court decision from the other week, i think that speaks for itself. 'a dark day for the scottish justice system', i think was the term used by legal professionals like paul mcbride, that's probably just one way of putting it. there is no doubt in my mind what the extent of the sectarian problem in scotland is, no matter how many times certain people are preaching that i'm exaggerating the problem. i only hope those same individuals never have to deal with the problems many of us faced, or the terrible conditions neil lennon has had to live in recent times. i wonder if they would be 'exaggerating' the problem when faced with the same hate and abuse.

4. Sween

You justify terms like "orange" "hun" "facist" by using strictest definitions yet why complain about rangers fans and their songs? "*" has nothing to do with sectarianism by definition. It is not a religious organisation so why take offence when they sing about being up to their knees?

When they sing songs about child abuse in the catholic church, or when they call Boruc blessing himself voodoo, these things arent strictly "sectarian" either, so is ok in the same way that it is ok to called rangers fans orange fascist huns?

It is this attutude I dont get. Arguing about technicalities to justify using terms to typecast rangers fans, yet claiming offence when they use similar terms to typecast celtic fans. As I say, I dont take offence at any of it. But claims of "sectarianism" mean nothing when they are always so one sided

5. Gary_92

I am of the unpopular opinion that sectarianism is what makes the Old Firm rivalry what it is. If you take away the religious aspect, then you have nothing. It is more than a football match; it is about religion, (Northern Irish) politics and opposing social attitudes. It has existed for over a century, and if they really had wanted to do something about sectarianism, then they should have tried to eradicate it in 1911, not 2011. On the 18th of September at Ibrox they will be singing No Surrender, The Sash and we will be singing up the ra, boys of the old brigade simply because that is what happens at an old Firm game. This crap about the police arresting the culprits, if that happens then you'd be left with just about an empty stadium.

6. FoleyBhoy87

Fav Celtic Player:
    Izzy!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA!
    this :50:

7. Belfast-hoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Good post.

I think largely the media are responsible for sensationalising it and stirring up much unnecessary hype about it. :shamrock:

8. Artur Boruc #1

Cracking post.

9. leicceltmurph67

i,ve become embroiled in arguments about this time and again..i really do believe its all down to money....nobody of yet has given a real definition of what sectarianism is ..in terms of song lists...in terms of chants ..the fact is the goverment only became involved because it got them into the papers...i believe religious problems are more significant in certain areas..and also how people handle it day to day...there is no reason why the orange order should be marching down the streets just as for me no reason as to why hibs walks should be there either ....it summs it up when uefa can silence ibrox through banning fans ...however our own goverment could,nt of thought about this years ago....its definatley all down to money...all the bands , all the merchandise,all the drink, if the old firm gets stopped all this revenue will be lost ...the goverment will make sure this will never happen