1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Help] Quick laptop question

Discussion in 'Computers and Gaming' started by Tulf, Aug 6, 2011.

Discuss Quick laptop question in the Computers and Gaming area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tulf

I am getting a new laptop, as i can't be bother with my awful, computer i use, it doesn't even have a Gig of RAM, only 75GB Harddrive, * graphics card ect.

can someone tell me if these specs on a laptop will be able to, Surf Internet LOADS, edit on Photoshop without freezing, play minecraft with no lag, play FM11 with no lag, run quite a few programs at once without freezing.

Processor AMD Athlon II Dual-Core P320
    - 2.1 GHz
    - 1MB L2 cache size
    - Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    RAM
    3GB, DDR3, Maximum memory 8 GB Graphics card Integrated, ATI Radeon™ HD 4250, 256MB of dedicated system memory
    cheers if you can help. :shamrock:

Also, does anyone have an ACER Aspire 5552, as thats what i'm thinking about getting (as i couldn't find any HP laptops in budget with these specs), if so, or any other ACER, have you had any problems with the laptop ect, cheers. :shamrock:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2011
  2. celtic20083

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big jan, Caldwell, Naylor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willey Malley
    What's your budget? I'd have thought most new laptops would be able to handle FM etc, plus the dual core processor would help with running two programmes or more at once. Check out ebuyer.com

3. Tulf

my budget is £300, I have looked on Ebuyer, theres not much on there that isn't on PCWorld.

4. celtic20083

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willey Malley
    What size hard drive?

5. Tulf

250gb

6. celtic20083

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willey Malley
  7. Tulf

is that any better than the ACER other than the harddrive mate?

8. KhingLarsson

The Graphics card on both machines are very poor. The laptop suggested by the fella you replied to has an awful graphics card and the one you suggested has a bad one too but slightly better. You wouldn't be able to run the 3D match engine on FM 11 but you'd manage the menus alright. The processor is ok on both, slightly better in the one that was suggested over yours. The Ram is decent in both, the choice is, better processor in the one which you replied to in your post as opposed to the better Graphics card in your OP but mate in truth both laptops are quite poor. If you even raised your budget slightly more you could get a nice Dell Inspiron and despite what many would have you think Dell are very good.

EDIT: Photoshop would be manageable on both but slow and I don't know what the system requirements for Minecraft is but it doesn't look too intensive.

9. Tulf

cheers for all that man, how much more would i need to increase my budget?, its cause its for my birthday from my mum and dad, if i was paying it myself i would pay alot for something that would be brilliant.

10. KhingLarsson

Well the laptops themselves are grand, the processors are good and the ram is good too, you want dedicated graphics chips with at least 1GB ram. The one you suggested has 256MB ram which is probably enough to run the 3D match engine but just about. I guess maybe like £400 would do. But if I was to pick out of the two suggested here. The one you suggested is better. The Ram is DDR3, the graphics is dedicated and not shared, the processor is good enough. You'd run all those applications, 3D match engine in FM 11 might be slow, Photoshop would run ok I guess, video editing would be slow if you wanted to do that. Video editing machines cost an arseload though. Minecraft I would imagine would be fine too. My advice is to shop around, look at various websites and get the best bang for your buck and PM me if you need anymore advice :50:

11. Tulf

awrite cheers for the help mate, any other websites you could suggest other than, Ebuyer and PcWorld?

12. KhingLarsson

Dell I guess, but I think the first one is adequate for your needs :50: FM 11 will work on it but the 3D match may not. The cheapest laptop I could find on Dell with a dedicated 1GB graphics card was £529 and I imagine thats a bit outside your budget mate.

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15-n5030/pd?oc=n00n5341&model_id=inspiron-15-n5030

This is £349, it has a low end graphics chip but its capable of playing FIFA 11 on lowest settings so I imagine it would be capable of FM 11 3D match :50:

Now keep shopping around compile a list of laptops you like in your range and pm me them all and I'll make a judgement on them and let you know :50:

13. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Closed at the request of the OP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.