1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Help stop drinking

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Joe T, Aug 6, 2011.

Discuss Help stop drinking in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Joe T

Alright bhoys and ghirls.

just thought i would start a thread to see if anyone had any tips about stopping drinking. i only drink at weekends but when i do i seriously binge.

its come to the point now where ive realised the drunk me and sober me are from a differnet planet. the problem is i love a beer but cannit just haver 1,2,3/ its like a full day/night out.

i also make decisions which i would never do when sober, and i wake up feeling so ashamed its unbelieveable.

so i am giving up the booze for now and no doubt will post in this thread my accomlishments or short falls.

and has anyone else given up the drink or have any tips???

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2011
  2. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    No advice Joe, I've been lucky enough not to have a problem with drink but it has affected my life a lot.

Good Luck and I hope you manage to kick it if that is what you want or learn to drink in moderation :shamrock:

3. Joe T

cheers marie, i think kicking it is the best option tbh.

i know the person i am/can be and hopefully from now just move on and kick the binging. :shamrock::shamrock:

4. Aldobaldo

I rarely have a drink, I play football on a saturday and for years I have always stayed in on fridays.If you have something to aim for or a distraction then it may work for you, if you drive maybe just take the car and be designated driver.

I haven`t really been that interested drinking at all so my advice may not be that great.

5. Joe T

thanks mate, my aim is for me and my partner to get a house in 5 month so hopefullyt thinking of that will do me well.

:50:

6. Chu the tim

am exactly the same mate, when am gassed i just want to cause chaos - it is like a self destruct button

no tips other than go to gym, and cleanse your body, and stay away from the pub

easier said than done

7. Gordybhoy1967

Drink is the scurge of my life. parents were alchoholics and I'm heading that way. recently separated fro my girl of 4 years because of it. I'm not a bad drunk, just do it too much and use it to escape reality until everything is beyond repair. I've gotten a grip recently but i reckon it will always be a challenge in my life. Get a grip of it before any damage is done. its good fun and as long you know when to stop and never put it before the important stuff it shouldnt be an issue. I'm no expert so all i can do is wish you good luck.

8. Joe T

am glad to hear u have gotten to grips with it mate. it is a horrendously dangerous passtime/soical thing/addictive and harmfull thing.

the problem is i know when u have my first pint that i just dont want to be having a pint but soon as its gone then thats it for the day, back to the bar over and over.

i have a long term gf who i love alot, and its come to moments when i think should i break up with her because I dont want to hurt her, but when im drunk i just loose my morals. (just for the record am not a violent drunk etc but just moraless)

9. Rude Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kris Commons
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    All the best to anyone having a hard time with alcohol addiction, I’ve seen it do a lot of horrible damage to people’s lives.

Worryingly, the damage is usually done very subtly, so most people don’t realise it until there’s a culminating point.

10. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I always have a limit that i never go over, but it's a fine line between enjoying a good drink and becoming alcoholic, good luck to you in your efforts to beat the booze.

With determination and will power you'll be amazed at what you can achieve, admitting a problem is the first step to dealing with it, Hail Hail :shamrock:

11. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Get a set of golf clubs and go to the driving range every now and again. Do other stuff to take up your time, its really all you can do.

12. Joe T

thats hit the nail on the head rude bhoy. i could keep doing what am doing and no one would batter an eyelid as am still young and in everyone elses eyes just goign out and getting hammered with mates. but i know myself its just chipping away in a terrible way and will ultimatly cause caos in my life!

13. KhingLarsson

I had the same problem as you mate :50: I learned how to drink in moderation or rather............I was way too embarassed to be seen in that state again. If I drank it was until I drank myself into oblivion. Not remembering *, hearing stories. It shamed me constantly, I hated that person so much. I know how you feel and it is absolutely awful :54: all I can say mate is stay away from the friends you go drinking with for a while, they may be unreal mates or whatever but just say to them "sorry lads but I need to be away from all the drinking" if they understand they're good mates but if not you should consider new mates. Part of alcohol's appeal is the social factor and if you eliminate that then you eliminate part of the problem. I don't go to house parties now because I know I'll get ridiculously drunk, insult loads of people and next morning I'll hate myself. Rid yourself of the social factor, find a hobby(perhaps football at the weekends) and don't be afraid to say no. It helped me mate, good luck :50:

14. waspocelts

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk on
    just found out my mate is in the hospital liver has packed in hes been told theres not much they can do for him,hes 36 drink has ruined him.i really hope everyone who has a drink prob can sort it out before this happins all the best folks need any help please ask
    hailhail one and all:50:

15. Gordybhoy1967

Thats the thing. Everything seems to evolve around drink. Since I've been off it I have been a loner but on the up side my guitar skills have improved, I'm back doing the hillwalking and feeling much better mentaly and physicaly. still miss the pub though.

16. Joe T

it menatally is getting worse for myself. brings on what can only be descriped as a 3/4 days of pure depression after av had a drink.
    thanks for the advice bhoys/ghirls and i have made the decision just to totally chuck it and maybe take up something else on a weekend. i play football on a sundayy so that keeps me occupied atleast one day.haha.

17. FannyHaddock

Joe Tracy, Chu the Tim & Gordybhoy, total respect for raising this all too prevalent subject, everyone has had their own difficulties and setbacks in life whether they be with your career, finances or relationships. Life can be hard at times and unjust. I too can seek solace from a few drinks, had a few major setbacks in the last few years that really devastated me.... But one lesson I learned pal, life is good....I am sure your fellow Tims will support you if you decided to give up the booze or want help. Stay strong and PM some of the lads if you want to talk it over. FH

18. Mince.Charming

everything you said there is the exact same way I feel mate, trust me your not alone, gave it up for a few week a couple of months ago but I hardly went out at the weekends or nothing because everything a do involves drink and it was extremley boring. end up when a do drink i drink friday to sunday nite , sometimes thursdays and mondays , dont know when to stop and all my days are mixed up and a cant remember fukall.

19. Joe T

its a terrible feeling isnt it mate.

you go to footy....a few pints
    quiz night ....pints
    town....pints

the list is endless.

the worst thing is i dont think i am addicted, as in i dont crave alcohol....however i dont know how to describe it once i have started drinking. i do stuff and i know i dnt want to be doing but the drunk me just over rides the moral and "nice" me.

i suppose the only option is just to quit. and accept and understand for me personally and maybe for you drink has an adverse affect on me/us.

20. albashamrock

Find a new hobby or maybe look for something you would like and put your drinking money away each week to save for it.