1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Jos Hooiveld

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by scottbrown8, Aug 3, 2011.

Discuss Jos Hooiveld in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Victor67

Get rid! We have Wilson, Rogne and Maj who would be my choice of centre backs then Loovens who it looks like were stuck with untill at least January as well as Wanyama and Mulgrew who can play there too so it's not like were short.

2. Dion Telfer

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    I agree completely.

Rogne was absolutely immense in the 2011 New Year derby (had he not sustained injury would have gone on to become one of our strongest season performers).

I honestly regard him as being Celtic’s primary centre half (with either Wilson or Majstorović filling the other vacancy). I can’t see Lennon being of the same opinion though (I do see him opting for a Wilson – Majstorović partnership).

3. McManus4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Think Wilson got 17 initially, but I think Hooiveld has that now.

4. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    Not good enough. O'Dea is better.

5. akadexter

Totally agree with you mate, If I had a quid for the amount of comments that he was gonna do this and that I'd have enough dough to buy the Hoops off DD, get Joe Hart, Messi and Xavi in and we would have Total Euro domination for a decade! (Now I'm bigging myself up, as he frequently does!) :56: Sell him!:bbpd:

6. GM_CFC

Great player and hopefully he'll prove it with a chance this season

7. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

:56::56::56:The guy can't even move properly!

8. celtic_bhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjälby
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Have to stick up for him. Was the player of the year/defender of the year three years in a row in Sweden and Finland. The Swedish league is atleast as gOOd as the SPL, just unfortunate their winter is so bad otherwise I imagine it would be an excellent league.

You don't become a bad player over night and he was AIK fans favourite in their title winning season. Give him a chance I say.

He also had the best defensive header record in Sweden, a pretty tall country.

9. jonny-the-celt

I've not seen him enough to judge. Hopefully he steps up his game this year or else I can see him being punted in January or, failing that, next summer.

10. bonaventura

Don't know from who you heard this nonsence. Reading the side of FC Kopenhagen tells me a lot of others things off all the matches he played. So just don't lie over here and come with facts!!
    It was clear that FCK would like to have him but would not pay the amount of money Celtic was asking.....

11. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    He is the one centre back at the club that probably deserves a chance. He has had @ 10 games for the club and been plagued with injuries. I couldnt honestly give a fair impression on him in the games I have seen him play.

If 100% fit then he may give us another option. I would much rather see him play than Loovens, and to suggest that O'Dea is a better player is ridiculous.

He needs a couple of games to see, firstly, that he is fit, and secondly if he is deserving a place in the squad. Might be hard at the moment with the season now under way.

12. PaddyMagic

Agree :50:

13. Nicodemus|FCK

Is that so? I'm pretty fluently in danish.. it is, after all, my native tongue, dare I ask where you read the "other things"?

here's a few articles and sorts from FCK and danish newspapers.. google translate should do the trick in most cases.
    http://www.fck.dk/nyhedsvisning/?newsid=11454 This is the official information from fck.dk ... thx for the 6 months, we wish you all the best.

here's a bit of info from Hooivelds agent:
    http://www.tipsbladet.dk/nyhed/superliga/groent-lys-hooivelds-fck-skifte
    - Hvis FCK vil have Jos, så får de ham. Der er ingen finansielle forhindringer. Det eneste spørgsmål er, om FCK kan lide ham nok. Carsten V. Jensen må træffe den endelige beslutning, for alle Jos' lys er grønne. Han kan lide byen, klubben og holdkammeraterne, og han håber på, at FCK vil beholde ham, siger Kroes til tipsbladet.dk.
    Rough translation from Danish: If FCK wants jos, they'll have him. There are no finansielle obstacles. The only question is,do FCK like him enough.
    Carsten V. Jensen (FCK manager) has to make the final decision..... etc etc...

On the scoreboards he never recieved a grade higher then average.. He was and still is, well liked by the fans.. but he simply had to many blunders, of which most was'nt important for the outcome of the matches. But that was mostly because FCK won the danish title 26 point ahead of the nearest opponent.
    Jos Hooiveld simply was'nt good enough for FCK, not that he's not a good defender, he just did'nt fit that well with the system, and got caught several times on the wrong side of the offside and more often, than what could be expected from a player with his CV, he found an opponent when he passed the ball instead of a player from his own team.

Got absolutely nothing against him at all, and had high expections when he started in Copenhagen. he just did'nt do well enough in the few matches he played (11 in total).

With that written... FCK had a stella season, prob. the best team a danish club has ever had.. in that perspective, Jos was 3rd or 4th in line as a central defender. only injuries or need of another strong header on the pitch, placed him on the pitch. I'd guess that all other danish clubs would have him as a certain starter!
    Odense beat Panatinaikos in the CL Qualifiers tuesday... and would pro. gladly have Jos on the team. Brøndby and FC Midtjylland which ended 3rd and 4th in the prev. season would pay good money for a defender like Hooiveld.

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You clearly haven't been watching Celtic for very long.

I couldn't even tell you if he was good or not, he hasn't had a proper roll of the dice whereas O'Dea and Loovens have and have been shown to be *.

I think a lot of people took the hump with him because he has a bit of a mouth on him. I couldn't care less personally, he was doing it to please the fans.

15. Jezzz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joe Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley & Let the People Sing
    Some really harsh comments on a guy that has hardly had the time to prove himself. As for the OP, having watched the game, he was rightly MOTM. As I said, he looked composed, and made some good tackles.

I personally have time for the guy, I think he could possibly do well for himself here. Of course I might be wrong, he could be *... But what I'm saying is I'll give him a chance instead of judging him on performances like Utrecht away, where the entire team fell apart.

As for people slagging off his quotes in the media- he pointed out on numerous occasions he was mistranslated from Swedish media, and I have found him to be very respectful about Celtic and always praising us.

I hope he succeeds.

16. paddymcp

You sure? The best danish side ever? The same side i watched struggle hopelessly against Shamrock Rovers? A team partly made up players who failed elsewhere and probably the equivalent to the lower reaches of the SPL. (if that)

17. northeast67

never fit,sell if poss,no piont in deadwood.

18. emmetf

I'd have him in before loovens... Seemed to be unlucky at every turn here... One that sticks out for me was vs hearts when maj's square heid sent the ball flying into our own net... Only game he got a fair crack and he was ok, game was ridden with * though, ledley getting sent off, penalty shouts etc etc

Seems a good option vs lower teams when were in europe and the fixtures are piling on. Really thought hed turn out a decent find... *, he was probably one of mowbrays best signings but that isn't saying * all...

19. leicceltmurph67

for me hosveild goes.....rogne definatley best defender we have........id like to see three at the back mulgrew rogne wilson ........rogne is intelligent while mulgrew and wilson arew yuong and have pace.....

20. Nicodemus|FCK

Maybe not the same side... the same club :)

in the last 2 months, FCK has said goodbye to the trainer, 3/4 of the defense, half of the midfield.... furthermore our topstriker N'Doye got injured in a trainingmatch against West Ham a few weeks ago.. he was back against Shamrock and scored the 0-1 goal which broke Shamrock.
    And Jesper Grønkjær (former Chelsea player) retired... leaving the team as a mere shadow of itself.

FCK came through 3-0 on aggregate against Shamrock, exactly like Juventus did last year, despite more then half the lineup was last months reserves or new players.

here's the lineup against Barca a year ago.
    Wiland, Pospech, Zanka, Antonsson, Wendt, Bolanos, Claudemir, Kvist (C), Vingaard, Grønkjær, N'Doye
    here's the lineup against Shamrock 3 days ago.
    Wiland, Sigurdsson, Zanka (C), Ottesen, Bengtsson, Claudemir, Grindheim, Bolaños, Kristensen, Diouf, N’Doye.