1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mark Wilson and Charlie Mulgrew Not In Scotland Squad

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by NickP1888, Aug 2, 2011.

Discuss Mark Wilson and Charlie Mulgrew Not In Scotland Squad in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    I like the idea of Mulgrew getting a friendly though. It gives them the chance to bleed in and get familiar with the national team.
    Hopefully he can play enough to prove he's worth a shot in the qualifiers.
    Said before, Scotland doens't have enough utility players like Mulgrew. Can pretty much play anywhere in the back

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Complete myth.

He trains the same way and at the same times as everyone else in the squad unless he is injured.

3. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Its not a myth hes been like that for 2 years, hes had 10 knee operations. In the Celtic View this week Charlie Mulgrew even said hes the best trainer "when he ever trains".

4. walkon

Mulgrew isn't a first pick for us (yet) and hasn't has a long sustained run at a set position. Let's see we go with him at CH then see if he continues to improve and make a position his own. What's the deal? And stupid to put more strain on Wilson in getting called up to national team for a friendly when we are just about to start competitive football.

5. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    typical pish. if you play in the championship or a reserve in the premiership you're the preferred choice

been that way for a few years with our national team.some of the players called up are an embarrasment.... same as leveins 4-6-0 formation

6. kubrick

It's a joke that Wilson hasn't been selected, also Mulgrew must be pretty p*ssed when you look at the players selected infront of him(esp Wilson & Haney).

I also don't think Forrest merits an International call-up, don't get me wrong, he's done OK most of the time when he's played but there's no way his inclusion is justified.

For what it's worth, i like as many Celtic player's to be playing as possible(inc Forrest) but teams should be selected on merit & this is yet ANOTHER example of Levein getting it completely wrong...baffoon of a manager!!

7. abhoyforlife

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy burns ,bertie auld
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
    Never have been into the scotland national team ,went many years ago with so called mates from thornliebank ,,f sake was more like a sash bash anyway have,nt been since have no interest at all in scotland , Celtic only club for me

8. marcusfltn

best defence record in scotland last year and we dont have one defender in the team.... pfftttt

9. Taylor

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Absolutely raging by this, what the * do the two of them have to do to get a place!?

10. gerry_bhoy

I feel for Wilson especially but you can see the logic in selecting EPL players surely.

Maybe Levein feels that neither Wilson or Mulgrew will play in their respective positions at a higher level than they do now, which solid as they are at SPL level, will likely be the case.

First off its not a hun conspiracy - 3 players from each of the OF. Just thought I say that before the thread goes in the "* Scotland" direction.

James Forrest has barely regularly played in 6 months yet gets a call up, if this was Fleck or Wylde we would be going nuts.

Its evident that Levein is building a young squad for the future and the OF players he selects, he does so as he expects them to be playing at a higher level in the future (hence Forrest, McGreggor). Hence also the inclusion of Goodwillie as the only non-OF SPL player.

As for Caldwell and Berra, chronic as they often can be, they are regular EPL starters, playing against the best forward lines in the world. Same with Bardsley and Crainey just had a full season there.

Like it or lump it, you can't have a national team full of our players as other than our briefs spells in Europe we play almost semi-professional clubs on a weekly basis. The championship is head and shoulders above us and the EPL lightyears.

Bar a few dodgy ones, for what we have available this is pretty much a standard selection.

11. Celtic Bhoy 94

Call me biased but this would be my team

McShagger
    M.Wilson Caldwell Mulgrew Whittaker
    Forrest Brown Adam Commons
    Miller Naismith

12. kubrick

Biased :56::56::56:

13. kubrick

On a more serious note though i'd pick:
    GK McRapist
    RB Hutton
    CB Caldwell
    CB Berra
    LB Bardsley
    RM Brown
    CM Fletcher
    CM Adam
    LM Commons
    CF Miller
    CF Fletcher

14. Celtic Bhoy 94

:52:

15. jamiebhoy88

Whittaker in ANY team never mind the Scotland one, to me is hilarious! One of the worst full backs out!

16. Markybhoy

Bit of an Old Firm bias there.

I would go with something like this................

Gordon

Hutton--------Caldwell--------Berra--------Wallace

D Fletcher

Naismith--------Brown------Dorrans/Adam------Commons

Miller

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2011
  17. Taylor

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    McGregor

Hutton Caldwell Mulgrew Bardsley

Brown Fletcher Adam Commons

Goodwillie Miller

that would be my team, frightning pace up front.

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I'm telling you it's a myth :56:

He may have dodgy knees but he has just turned 27, for a start, and is treated normally by the club. If he feels it he sits out a session but he does not train 1 day a week and if he did he wouldn't be first choice right back.

19. alsybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc, larrson,lubo,jinky,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing,ynwa,sean south,on the one road
    see the sad thing here! there seems to be more english than scots in the team and our good young scots arent even getting a look in:38:

20. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    might be right about his training........

http://www.freefootball.org/newsitems/ffnewsitem_soccer_11_03_17_SOCCER_Celtic_Wilson.html

Celtic full-back Mark Wilson has thanked manager Neil Lennon and the club's medical staff for allowing him to prove he was a long-term asset to the club.

The rejuvenated Wilson today signed a new one-year contract, with the option of another year, after a string of impressive performances persuaded Lennon to extend the defender's stay at Parkhead.

Wilson played only sporadically in the first half of the season after being troubled by a groin problem over the summer, the latest in a long line of injuries that have plagued his career.

But he has been a regular starter since the turn of the year, with his forays from right-back a crucial element of Celtic's attacking play.

Wilson, who was today named in the Scotland squad to face Brazil later this month, credits much of his renaissance to Lennon, who has taken his unique fitness situation into account.

Wilson has undergone nine knee operations since he was a 16-year-old at Dundee United and has been given licence to miss training if necessary.

Wilson, 26, admitted he was worried his Celtic career was coming to an end just months ago.

"It's always a fear when you have been at the club this length of time and injuries have plagued my career here," said Wilson, who was signed from Tannadice by Gordon Strachan in January 2006.

"I felt I was lucky enough to get the last contract and earlier on in the season I was out for the first few weeks, I thought that might have ruined my chances.

"So I have got to thank the medical team and the management team for getting me on the pitch enough to prove I'm worth a new contract.

"I think, definitely in a Celtic shirt, it's the most consistent I've been.

"I've been in and out the team through the years through injury and this is the best I've felt for a long time, and that's thanks to the medical team and the management team being sympathetic to my condition and understanding how to manage me.

"That's how I've been performing the way I have been and definitely enjoying it.

"As long as I'm on the park on a Saturday, that's all that counts.

"The manager has been totally understanding, he has allowed me to train days when I want to train and pull out when I want to pull out, and no doubt that's helped me.

"I had a few meetings with him over the last week or so and talked over things.

"He said he wanted me to be here, be part of his team and part of his plans. As a player, that's all you can hope for."

Wilson added: "I never want to leave this club, it's a club I've always supported.

"I was grateful for the chance to play here and delighted to be here as long as I have been.

"So to get a new deal is fantastic and I hope I'm part of some good things over the next few years."

Wilson is now eager to repay Lennon by securing the first silverware of the season when Celtic face Rangers in the Co-operative Insurance Cup final on Sunday.

And the full-back is doubly determined to provide some cheer to his under-fire boss, who will have to sit in the stands at Hampden as he continues his touchline ban, given their Scottish Cup semi-final collapse against Ross County last season.

"I'm sure he is desperate to get his first trophy as Celtic manager," Wilson added.

"He was obviously hoping to get that last season with the Scottish Cup and things didn't go to plan.

"This is another big chance for him, and us boys who were here and let him down that day have a lot to make up for and hopefully we can do that for him."

Wilson will fly out to La Manga in Spain with Scotland the day after the cup final and he wants to add to his recent revival by featuring against Brazil.

"It's a bit of a dream week," said Wilson, who has netted three goals in his last seven games for Celtic.

"To be named in the squad was fantastic and it would be even better if we won the cup and beat Brazil.

"I'll take winning the cup, I don't know if we will beat Brazil, but fingers crossed."